AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Recently got Klipsch Quintet V and Klipsch SW-350 - looking for a new receiver in order to get more out of the system (and balance brightness with warmth).

I understand that the brightness issue between Yamaha and Klipsch is apparent, but having been a user of both Klipsch speakers (HD300) and Yamaha for several years now, I guess I've gotten used to it. Having said that, I still wish to get the full potential out of my quintets while balancing the tone.

Current receiver: Yamaha RX-V371

Movies (action, drama, and sci-fi) - 90% of usage

Music - Classic Rock 

Currently looking at:

Marantz SR5008

Denon AVR ?

Integra DTR-20.4 (heard this through Goldenear speakers at local store) - has gold connections 

any other information or recommendations (especially from those familiar with Yamaha and Klipsch speakers/receivers to see where I am coming from would be great).

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Here is the deal with Yamaha. The default auto eq is flat. That is a bright sound. But they also have

a natural eq that has the proper house curve. Not near as bright. Audyssey has a similar 2 curve option.

Where Yamaha excels is the manual parametric eq. It allows a huge amount of custom tweaking of any

auto or manual created eq to shape your sound. None of these other brands have this feature.

Audyssey usually does a good auto eq job. But if it doesn't or you want to custom shape your curve no go.

The 371 is an older very low level receiver. It still may have all the features I just mentioned. All the new ones do.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2  /t/1523998/new-receiver-to-match-new-speakers#post_24526418

Here is the deal with Yamaha. The default auto eq is flat. That is a bright sound. But they also have

a natural eq that has the proper house curve. Not near as bright. Audyssey has a similar 2 curve option.

Where Yamaha excels is the manual parametric eq. It allows a huge amount of custom tweaking of any

auto or manual created eq to shape your sound. None of these other brands have this feature.

Audyssey usually does a good auto eq job. But if it doesn't or you want to custom shape your curve no go.

The 371 is an older very low level receiver. It still may have all the features I just mentioned. All the new ones do.

I have a 371 that I replaced with a Denon 1913. The 371 doesn't even have the most basic level of YPAO - just a manual 6 band graphic eq per channel. Pretty slim pickings but with some fiddling it sounded pretty good. However, not to hold a candle to Audyssey Multieq in the 1913.

The other problem with the 371 was the DPL sound field. I didn't realize it until I got the 1913, but there were some glitches in the 371 DPL and since the 371 also lacked any way to field-update its firmware (the Denon if connected to the web just fixes that all by itself) that was that.

IMO ideally one obtains an AVR with Audyssey Multieq XT32 or a close competitor with all the bells and whistles, but if your financial back is against the wall, Multieq or Multieq can do a nice job for you. I use external parametric eq on my 2 subwoofers to match them to the room and fill in each others holes, because Audyssey Multieq doesn't have that as its greatest strength.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts