AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trend seems to be that most new receivers have none or only a single S-Video port. I have many classic game consoles that only support S-Video as their highest form of output. For my den I picked up an Yamaha RX-V3900 two years back that works great with tons of S-Video ports that it passes to my TV through HDMI.

Any newer (even low end) receivers that still have a few of these ports? I want to get one for my upstairs.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Usually, the extra connections are only on high-end models.  Here is one to consider for $700:

Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020 7.2-channel home theater receiver with Apple AirPlay® at Crutchfield.com

Here is one to consider at $1500:

Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3020 9.2-channel home theater receiver with Apple AirPlay® at Crutchfield.com

These are both discounted because they are discontinued models (they were the latest models a year ago).

Low-end models are usually the first to have "extra" legacy connections eliminated, so among current models, it will tend to be expensive to get the connections you want.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020 is nice but a lot of $$ just for the spare TV room. I figured there would not be many options, thanks guys! Hopefully my RX-V3900 does me good for a while in the primary room.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

As I stated previously, extra legacy connections are pretty much on high end models only these days.  The only way to go inexpensive is used for such things.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1522222/new-receiver-with-multiple-s-video-ports#post_24474167

The 2013 Denon E200 and E300 both have (2) S-video inputs and (1) S-video output, however, neither can convert to HDMI, rather the E400 which has (1) S-video input and (0) S-video outputs would be the lowest model that can convert to HDMI.

I'm pretty sure they don't have any S-Video jacks. Maybe you're confusing them with the composite and/or component inputs these receivers do have.

The only current AV receivers that I know of that still have S-Video jacks are the high end Yamaha receivers that Jack D Ripper mentioned. All other manufacturers dropped them completely from all their models a couple of years ago (or more).

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge  /t/1522222/new-receiver-with-multiple-s-video-ports/0_100#post_24479129

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1522222/new-receiver-with-multiple-s-video-ports#post_24474167

The 2013 Denon E200 and E300 both have (2) S-video inputs and (1) S-video output, however, neither can convert to HDMI, rather the E400 which has (1) S-video input and (0) S-video outputs would be the lowest model that can convert to HDMI.

I'm pretty sure they don't have any S-Video jacks. Maybe you're confusing them with the composite and/or component inputs these receivers do have.

The only current AV receivers that I know of that still have S-Video jacks are the high end Yamaha receivers that Jack D Ripper mentioned. All other manufacturers dropped them completely from all their models a couple of years ago (or more).

I just looked at the Denon site.  Neither have any S-Video connections at all.  It would appear that jdsmoothie confused composite video with S-Video.

See:

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?catid=avreceivers(denonna)&pid=avre200(denonna)

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?catid=avreceivers(denonna)&pid=avre300(denonna)

If other companies have dropped this sort of connection, this is yet another reason to pick Yamaha instead of the competition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts