AVS Forum banner

New Receiver???

282 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  joedeflorio 
#1 ·

I have a a Denon 3808CI A/V Receiver it is 5 years old. I love it, but am wondering if technology has progressed enough to warrant getting a new one. I don't want to spend a lot of money (less than $1000.) Is a receiver that is $1000 or less better than the one I now own? If so does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you.

#2 ·
better yes but may soon be outdated lol. The new receivers coming out this year should be hdmi 2.0 compatible if you are willing to wait a few months.

Reactions: joedeflorio
#4 ·
Well i dont know what model tv your panasonic is so i couldn't tell you what features would matter for you lol. I see you have a budget of >$1000 and thats a great starting point but theres a few Q's that need answering. What type of speakers do you have or plan on getting? Also are there any features that you know you would llike to have it do?As for not wanting features that may or may not interest you now i'd reconsider. If and when you buy different a/v gear down the road it may be handy so you dont have to buy another one to take advantage of hem. Especially as you can get most models for the same price as last years models when they debuted.

#5 ·
You picked a good receiver 5 years ago - I don't see why you'd want to replace it yet. If anything, add a streamer as a source device to get all the Internet services for a lot less money. A Sonos Connect would be a great addition. A new receiver certainly won't make any significant impact to your 5.1 sound quality. As loader963 suggests - upgrade money would be better spent on speakers if you're looking for audio quality improvements...

#6 ·
Exactly. most of the time people replace receivers for more features, changes in power needs, or the old one dies. there's a good debate on how much a receiver actually affects sound quality if other factors such as wpc and wire gauge stay the same. so if you are upgrading just to upgrade then i would wait a bit i thibk your patience will be rewarded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.