AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between a new Denon or Onkyo based on amplifier quality. Something that doesn't need signal processing to sound good with stuff like Phase Control or Sound Retriever, etc. Anyone have opinions on the newer Onkyo receivers NR717 to 1010 or Denon AVR-2313CI or 3313? The more expensive onkyos have push-pull but don't know about the denons. Maybe push pull doesn't make a difference anyways.


My speakers are KEF IQ70, IQ10 and IQ8ds. Low impedance with some frequencies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany  /t/1419804/new-receivers-with-good-amps#post_22209584


If I wanted better quality for just Amp in receiver I think I go with Marantz. That being said, I say generally build quality of a Denon is better in Onkyo.

Okay, so that's one for Denon. I'll check the Marantz website to see what they have thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Just make sure your receiver has pre-amp outputs. That way, if you end up being unhappy with the amplifier in the receiver, you can plug in an external amplifier later on.


I'm of the belief that with all electronics/processing etc turned off, there's very little difference between the amplifier sections of Denons, Marantzs, Onkyos, Integras, and Yamahas, and that it's probably better to buy the featureset you need and give yourself the option of better sound through pre-amp outputs. Just my opinion though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I can reply to your question with a personal note.


I'd been using the Onkyo TX-SR606 for some time, powering a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX6 towers. It had a handshake issue with HD signals that is pretty well-known for the model, which is now out of warranty, thus I went in search of a replacement.


I now have a Denon 2112ci, and I feel as though I now have speakers twice as nice. The imaging is noticeably better, which is difficult to pin down considering they both use the same Audyssey calibration technique. It's a night and day difference.


Go with Denon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
Out of those options I would go with the Onkyo 1010 or 818 due to audyssey XT32. I have the 3311 and I really like it but XT32 is a step up from XT. I would mark the 717 off the list as it only uses 2EQ. I think the Denons have good power but Onkyos do too so power differences between them should be negligible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inanevoyage  /t/1419804/new-receivers-with-good-amps#post_22210016


I can reply to your question with a personal note.

I'd been using the Onkyo TX-SR606 for some time, powering a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX6 towers. It had a handshake issue with HD signals that is pretty well-known for the model, which is now out of warranty, thus I went in search of a replacement.

I now have a Denon 2112ci, and I feel as though I now have speakers twice as nice. The imaging is noticeably better, which is difficult to pin down considering they both use the same Audyssey calibration technique. It's a night and day difference.

Go with Denon!

The 606 has 2EQ which uses lower resolution filters on the speakers and does not EQ a subwoofer. The MultEQ XT on the Denon 2112 was probably the reason for the step up in sound.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec88  /t/1419804/new-receivers-with-good-amps#post_22209616


Okay, so that's one for Denon. I'll check the Marantz website to see what they have thanks.

For a mid-range feature set in a Marantz, you'd be well served by the SR5007 .


Ours just arrived today. Price wise, by calling around, you might do better, as delivered, we paid $750.00. This minute I'm charging the cordless drill to make a boatload of ventilation/cable passageway holes in the entertainment center as there are none.
What's with an entertainment center and no ventilation/cable passageway openings?



FYI, the Marantz SR5007 is a 7.2 receiver with a full set of 7.1 pre-outs and all of today's standard whistles and bells.


-
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
90,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023  /t/1419804/new-receivers-with-good-amps/0_100#post_22210088


Out of those options I would go with the Onkyo 1010 or 818 due to audyssey XT32. I have the 3311 and I really like it but XT32 is a step up from XT. I would mark the 717 off the list as it only uses 2EQ. I think the Denons have good power but Onkyos do too so power differences between them should be negligible.

+1


Either the 818 w/XT32 for just under a grand or the next best option and to save about $200 would be last year's Denon 3312CI on clearance now, or better yet for roughly $200 more the Denon 4311CI w/XT32 and Sub EQ HT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023  /t/1419804/new-receivers-with-good-amps#post_22210093


The 606 has 2EQ which uses lower resolution filters on the speakers and does not EQ a subwoofer. The MultEQ XT on the Denon 2112 was probably the reason for the step up in sound.

Thank you for this explanation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your replies. I've narrowed it down to the denon 2313CI and onkyo 1010 but I think that after reading what inanevoyage said about his Monitor towers I'll probably get the denon. I'm going to look at the manuals when I get a chance this weekend.


My newest receiver was a pioneer vsx-lx52 (vsx-23txh US model) that died so I'm using an older sony receiver for stereo with the iq10s. The sony doesn't have enough power for the iq70s and certainly little for surround use. But for stereo the sony has a nice clean sound with most music with the EQ flat. I wasn't happy at all with the pioneer. Even with stereo it sounded dull with the iq70s. The sound retriever boosted the sound but it didn't sound clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
I tried a Denon 2312CI for 25 days and ended up hating it. Muffled sound thru my Klipsch setup. My old HK AVR 635 sounds much better. Considering an Onkyo 3009 or Yamaha.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Alec88

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34  /t/1419804/new-receivers-with-good-amps#post_22219653


I tried a Denon 2312CI for 25 days and ended up hating it. Muffled sound thru my Klipsch setup. My old HK AVR 635 sounds much better. Considering an Onkyo 3009 or Yamaha.

I am not surprised that you hated the Denon 2312 after using the HK. There are two reasons. One, different brands have different sound signature. Also, HK AVR 635 is a higher end product. It is probably equivalent to a Denon 38xx series.


I used to own a Denon 2700 and then 2803 long time ago. These were my first surround sound receivers. Then I got the HK AVR 247 and was completely impressed so much that I ended up getting a HK AVR 745 refurbished. I was thoroughly satisfied for 4 years and then the upgrade bug caught me last year and ended up buying a NAD T775HD. Wonderful receiver and completely neutral and clear. I don't think I will ever go to brands like Denon again!


Also, I tried an Onkyo 804 against a HK AVR 247 back in 2007 and liked the HK sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34  /t/1419804/new-receivers-with-good-amps#post_22219653


I tried a Denon 2312CI for 25 days and ended up hating it. Muffled sound thru my Klipsch setup. My old HK AVR 635 sounds much better. Considering an Onkyo 3009 or Yamaha.

Hmm, maybe it just comes down to the quality of the parts and the amp inside? Last night at denon's site I compared the 2313 with the 4311 audio specs and there are some pretty significant differences. Note the huge weight difference.


AVR-4311


All Channels Rated 20-20kHz @ 0.05 THD - Yes

Low Impedance Drive Capability - Yes

High-Current/Discrete Amplifiers - Mono Amp Design

Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit – D.D.S.C - HD - Yes

Independent Power Supplies - Yes

Pure Audio Construction - Yes

Weight - 38.2 pounds


AVR-2313


All Channels Rated 20-20kHz @ 0.08 THD - Yes

Low Impedance Drive Capability - No

High-Current/Discrete Amplifiers - Yes

Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit – D.D.S.C - HD - No

Independent Power Supplies - Yes

Pure Audio Construction - No

Weight - 24 pounds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,612 Posts
Good observation. While not entirely indicative, weight is a good comparison. For

example, my NAD T775HD weighs 45 lbs. my old HK Avr 745 weighed about that too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,857 Posts
The KEF IQs are 8Ω rated and not difficult to drive at all. I have two old Reference fronts and a stereo amp 150WPC is plentiful. You don't specifically need an AVR rated for 4Ω. The Denon 4311 should be fine, or a 3312/3313 (only 26.5lb!) with pre-outs for the fronts if you need ext. power amp. I wouldn't trust anything lower than that. Or go with non-mass market brand AVRs with more trustworthy power amp sections.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Alec88

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai  /t/1419804/new-receivers-with-good-amps#post_22224696


Good observation. While not entirely indicative, weight is a good comparison. For

example, my NAD T775HD weighs 45 lbs. my old HK Avr 745 weighed about that too.

Some receivers, like Pioneer, use class D amps which are very efficient and don't weigh much. Some manufacturers use iron heat sinks. Some use aluminum. Iron costs less and weighs more. I would never make a buying decision based on the weight of a unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've had some time last week and checked out some Onkyos like the NR1009, 3009, and a smaller one (forgot which) and found that surround processing is always on even with pure and stereo modes. Speaker distance processing is active all the time and you can actually hear the sound change as the speaker distances are changed. That doesn't seem right to me. Can some of the owners check this out?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top