AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a question that may prove some debate, but I am looking for some suggestions on a new reciever.

the speakers it would be driving is a 5.1 set of Infinity Beta 50 fronts, Beta 20 rears, Beta 360 center, and Infinity Beta series sub.

the features I think that will be important, is the ability to handle DD TrueHD, DTS MA, LPCM and all that Jazz. IF possible, I would really like the ability to handle SACD's DSD over HDMI. The TV it is sending to is a Sony 30" XS series 1080i, and input sources are going to be a future BD player, digital cable box, xbox, htpc, so on and so forth.

as far as budget, the wife would like it to be as affordable as possible, but I want it to be good quality with great sound. I would think $1k would be a happy medium to start with.

Thanks for your suggestions.

· Registered
437 Posts
In that price range it is hard to beat the Onkyo 876. Packed with features, great audio section and so so Video section. While it does have a Reon chip, Onkyo's implementation leaves some problems, such as lag when switching channels and devices and no auto pillar boxing based on content.

An alternative in that range would be the Denon 3808. Not as many features and vid section is not as good, but much better customer support and they provide online firmware upgrades to keep the unit as current as possible.

· Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I dont sopose any of thoes have DSD decoding, do they?

out of all of them, wich has the cleanest and most natural sound?

this is going to be used for 50% music, 25% TV and 25% movies, if that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.