AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone I am looking for a new receiver to replace my old Denon that doesn't even have HDMI. I need recommendations please trying to be budget conscious (unless I wait). I am running 2 Monitor 60's and a CS2 for the front and 4 Monitor 40's for the surrounds. I saw newegg had a good deal on a Yamaha today http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0MJ-0022-00014

What are your thoughts on it I'd like to stay in the $400-$900 range but the cheaper the better. I defiantly want something with network capability.

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts

Hey Tegguy, I recently picked up the Pioneer VSX-1123-K.  It's network-capable (wired out of the box - requires an adapter to make it wi-fi) and there's a free app, iControlAV, available for phones/tablets. So far I really like it, but it's not fully setup.  Check the manual online - you'll see several setup options between 7.1, 5.1 + Zone2 audio, 5.1 + ZoneHD, etc.

This is an out-going model and BestBuy and Amazon had it for just under $400.  I just did a search and it seems like it's gone from Amazon and has been replaced by the VSX-1123 (no "-K") for $600 which I assume is just the current model.

I'm sure the current one is as good if not better, but you might want to try to track down the -K model to save some cash.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithhayward  /t/1526295/new-reciever#post_24580184

Hey Tegguy, I recently picked up the Pioneer VSX-1123-K.  It's network-capable (wired out of the box - requires an adapter to make it wi-fi) and there's a free app, iControlAV, available for phones/tablets. So far I really like it, but it's not fully setup.  Check the manual online - you'll see several setup options between 7.1, 5.1 + Zone2 audio, 5.1 + ZoneHD, etc.

This is an out-going model and BestBuy and Amazon had it for just under $400.  I just did a search and it seems like it's gone from Amazon and has been replaced by the VSX-1123 (no "-K") for $600 which I assume is just the current model.

I'm sure the current one is as good if not better, but you might want to try to track down the -K model to save some cash.

Would you buy that over the Yamaha?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52  /t/1526295/new-reciever#post_24580207

That is an excellent buy on that Yamaha.

Would you buy it?

·
Registered
24 Posts

No, if the choice was that Yamaha for $450 or the 1123 for $600, I'd choose the Yamaha.  If you want your AVR to be connected via WIFI then also go with the Yamaha.  If you can find the 1123 for $400 it's a heck of a deal too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm currently looking at the RX-V775 for $450 or the Onkyo 818 for $649. Thoughts/opinions? Go with neither and suggest a different model number?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Go for the Yamaha more dependable. Onkyo is not reliable. I should know I had an 807 that quit after two years.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegguy  /t/1526295/new-reciever#post_24582615

I'm currently looking at the RX-V775 for $450 or the Onkyo 818 for $649. Thoughts/opinions? Go with neither and suggest a different model number?

Yamaha easily out of these two.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm contemplating saving up and getting the denon x4000. Is it worth the extra $800 (when its not on sale)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think for the time being I'm jus going to hold off. I'm liking the Denon X4000 but the price is up there. I think I need to do more research before I buy a receiver it's been too long since I have shopped for them the features have changed. What kind of wattage should I be looking for per channel?

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegguy  /t/1526295/new-reciever#post_24585191

I think for the time being I'm jus going to hold off. I'm liking the Denon X4000 but the price is up there. I think I need to do more research before I buy a receiver it's been too long since I have shopped for them the features have changed. What kind of wattage should I be looking for per channel?

The kind of wattage you need will depend on your application.  I'm a quasi-home theater buff, meaning that I like good sound, but never BLAST anything and don't care to shake things for the sake of shaking things.  Budget usually drives my entire purchase because if I need to eat ramen noodles everyday for 3 years to afford my HT equipment then I'm doing something wrong.  For me this resulted in the Pioneer I mention above (VSX-1123-K), followed by a pair of Polk RTi4 bookshelf speakers for R/L with a CSi5 for my center speaker ($100/speaker).  For surround I went with a Monoprice 3-way in-wall for my Front Hight speakers and Monoprice 2-way 6-1/2 inch for surround and rear surround (around $50 per each pair).  I got a SINGLE Polk PSW10 for my subwoofer ($125).  My console cost me $268 from a furniture store that I was already buying bedroom furniture from and the TV is a 47" 1080p 60Hz Westinghouse display we already had (I'm getting divorced).  I'll be saving up for both a HTPC and a 4K/UHD display for the coming year and see where I go from here...

That all said, 135W/Ch is plenty for me.  Your mileage may vary... 

1 - 15 of 15 Posts