Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished watching "From Hell".

This has got to be one of the best transfers with respect to black levels... blacks on top of ink blacks. There are time when you can see three shades of pure black.

Shadow detail abounds!

Very nice transfer all the way around.

Not a bad twist on a macabe story either.

A few hollywood moments, but all in all very entertaining.

Another nice touch, all the deleted scenes are finished.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
I watched From Hell a couple of nights ago on a Pioneer Elite Pro-710 with Panny RP91 player. I agree with Kenny. Gorgious film and excellent transfer. I thought the movie was one of the most original takes on this dark tale that I have seen.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I watched this one last night on a Radeon HTPC into a 22" ViewSonic/Trinitron monitor. Looked really good. Stylishly directed by the Hughes twins (I guess they're twins). Possibly likely this will conflict with player/scaler/projectors and show EE stuff, but I can never see much in the way of such problems on my system, even when I get right up on top of the CRT.

The extras on disc two are okay; the little feature on theories by Ripper scholars is the best, and really a must-see, with various photographs of the crime scenes. The killings got worse and worse, so much so that the prosthetic dummies (which were apparently quite accurate) couldn't even be shown, except in falsh cuts or out-of-focus in the background. This was a really sick puppy.

This might be a spoiler, don't think so, but...

The take on this, and it's a conspiracy theory, was done before as Murder by Decree as a Sherlock Holmes movie (?!) with Christopher Plummer as Holmes and James Mason as Watson. Conservative Brits just hate dragging the Royals into this, but one never knows... and the police did do some rather strange things that smelled a bit like the post-JFK assassination misbehavior.

Still, among the most convincing explanations of the Ripper's identity came from a short film on PBS a few years back that Dogfood cannot recall properly, but it concerned the "From Hell" note that arrived with the kidney, and involved an inscribed pocket watch, and pointed to a laudinum-addicted doctor from Scotland. Mr. Food suspects there might have been a copycat involved in all of this, even among the "canonical" women from that late summer-fall of 1888. And none of the poor victims was very attractive, at least by modern standards.

A few of the other Ripper films I can recall:

The Lodger 1944 With Laird Cregar and Merle Oberon
Jack the Ripper 1959 Cheesy Joseph E. Levine effort
Jack the Ripper 1988 TV "long form" w/Michael Caine as Depp's character

Search in IMdb and you'll see some others; Klaus Kinsi is in one. There's another pretty good one from the past that I just cannot recall.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, Radeon based HTPC, with output filters removed, feeding an NEC XG110LC on an 80 in wide screen painted with KBK's paint.

Over the last two days I have been using this movie to help evaluate M Parker's Mod'ed Radeon...this is one great transfer!!!

The scene where the Ripper pulls that women into the dark recess in that alley, and all you see is this long blade...first flashing silver, then a little red on the tip, then more red, lastly all blood red is amazing!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
My wifes parents live in Whitechapel, East London where the murders took place. There is a two hour guided tour (from the first murder to the fifth) of the murder sites. www.jack-the-ripper-walk.co.uk

Of course the last stop is probably the pub.

Regarding the Royalty connection, this has now been largely dismissed.

Current thinking on the rippers identity comes down to two prime suspects.

James Maybrick,

He was a suspect at the time and was questioned and released without charge. In the 1990's, two incredible pieces of evidence came to light from two unconnected sources.

The "Maybrick Diary" was discovered in an old house which had gory details of all the killings. The diary has been examined by experts who confirm does indeed date back to Victorian times.

Secondly, a pocket watch came to light that was owned by Maybrick which had the initials of all five victims scratched on the back of the watch.

The watches age was verified together with the age of the marks.

Francis Tumblety,

American quack, Tumblety was actually charged with the murders and was the prime suspect. A violent homosexual and know woman hater, he fled to France from where he made his was to New York.

Many books have been written about Tumblety, most famous of which is 'Jack the Ripper, the first American serial killer'

Eric

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert George
I watched From Hell a couple of nights ago on a Pioneer Elite Pro-710 with Panny RP91 player. I agree with Kenny. Gorgious film and excellent transfer. I thought the movie was one of the most original takes on this dark tale that I have seen.
Read, read, READ the graphic novel on which the film is based. The film is a grave (no pun intended) disappointment. And the ending a complete cheat!!

Flexx

·
Registered
977 Posts
Flexx,

I hear you...Alan Moore is one of my favorites. I've long since given up expecting the same results from print to film.

I haven't watched From Hell yet, as it is sitting in my pile of new releases. I did take a sneak peak at the disc, and the picture does look very good.

I think if I start expecting all film adaptions to meet their printed counterparts I'll constantly be disappointed...current examples of this could easily include Harry Potter and Spiderman.

Howie

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have to agree with KennyG about the quality of the image. However this films sound mix is also reference quality with imaging ques all around the room even directly behind the listener (spooky). Bass is very powerfull and extends to below 25 hz in the main channels quite often. You really need true stereo subs up front to appreciate this kind of bass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.