AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who attended CES, did you stop by the REL booth?

I see in a pic from Cinenow that REL showed off a new Strata 5 and a new model called the Stampede. Any specs or details you can relay?

·
Registered
411 Posts
No news on the REL site regarding the above..Hmmm, they have not even done a Strata 4, and REL policy is usually to follow numerically their last version...I could be wrong however, but REL are pretty quick at releasing info on their website...

Check them out at www.Rel.net

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over on a UK forum they said that REL would begin marketing of the new models in March, but nobody had any specs.

Here are the pics I mentioned...

http://www.cinenow.com/us/reportage.php/sid,780/

Besides the Strata 5 and the Stampede, there is also a Q108E.

(Also, props to REL for updating the LOOK of their website, but most of the info on it is pretty stale.)

·
Registered
411 Posts
You could be right, as I said I could be wrong. Maybe once REL get their new website up and running it will be more informative about the future..

Speaking of Rel, you ever heard the ' Studio '? Best subwoofer in my books that I have ever heard. First heard this in London, on a day off work we wangled lol..They had Fifth Element running and the bass was unbelievable, I thought my rib cage was going to break or something..:)

Mark

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Rel subs are overpriced and overrated, IMO. I own a Storm and it can't even fill a small room to reference, newer films just cause it to parp. The previous Rel 100E was even worse-parps in "Whiskey outpost" in Starship Troopers.

They are expensive in the UK.. and there are better subs available in the US. I can't believe the Storm III is $1800. It's not worth that.

Good for music systems where high output/really LF is not needed (at the same time)

A local Rel dealer has heard my recent American internet-direct subwoofer..rates it similar to the Studio III. And it's 6.3 times cheaper.

·
Registered
411 Posts
IMHO not heard a subwoofer better than the Studio. And the reason the subwoofers are so expensive abroad is because of customs and excise, taxes etc! etc! And the fact they have to change the voltage to the US one. Then again, I could be full of Boll****, who knows! lol :)

Final thought; I can't believe Father Ted did not make the top ten in the all time Best Sit-com currently running on the BBC!!!

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xcalibur_255
Is American internet-direct code speak for SVS by any chance?
Yeah. Not my words that it's similar in performance- it was a Rel & M&K dealer (also mentioned it outclasses a MX-350) He doesn't stock SVS. I was suprised at that (great for SVS, not so for M&K & REL)

I wouldn't have thought it would be on a par with the Studio... but I guess so much advertising & marketing & finish (for those who don't care) takes it's toll on the overall component quality and then the RRP. :( For example, a 400W amp panel is not that expensive. Yet this is on a £4500 subwoofer with dual 10" drivers.

Oh AFAIK Father Ted (in the UK) was not a BBC production... maybe that's why it didn't win any awards?:(

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Posted of on a UK forum....

Quote:
STAMPEDE will be GBP 550

STRATA 5 will be GBP 700

Both sealed boxes.

Frequency Rolloff 16Hz --> 99Hz

Stampede

200mm long throw

100W rms

W(280mm)xH(400mm)xD(290mm)

Strats5

255mm long throw

150W rms

W(324mm)xH(464mm)xD(334mm)
If accurate, that would mean that the new Strata 5 retains the 10" driver, increases to a 150w amp, and shrinks the enclosure to about 70% of the volume of the current Strata III.

Also, I was incorrect when I mentioned the Q108E as a new model. That is the US designation for what is already marketed in the UK as the Quake.

·
Registered
882 Posts
fatbottom,

I couldn't agree more.

I was ALMOST suckered into a REL Stentor...(with the warning that I might need 2).

Thank goodness I purchased the VelodyneDD18 instead.

Much better for large rooms.

Sometimes people (incorrectly) assume they are getting what they pay for.

I have yet to figure out REL's pricing strategy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
sound quality for music and the ability to "marry" the rels to speakers ,seemlessly , is what makes them quite sought after by music lovers (including myself with 2 stadiums).....not at all appropriate for bone crushing (why I have a "home-made" sub for that).....

·
Registered
360 Posts
I agree. Rel subs are in my opinion best used to supplement mains for music. I have a Stadium myself and their ability to fill in under even a great pair of mains is pretty amazing.

I would look elsewhere if I were looking for either a pure home theater sub or for a combination sub. In my case, I only use my Rel for two channel audio and don't even have it engaged for home theater. I use a separate sub for home theater, one that is much more suited to blasts and bangs.

I don't mean to imply that there are no good dual use subs out there. I am simply of the opinion that for any room that is reasonably large and for any system that might be described the same way (large mains etc) even the best that I have seen from Rel will be left lacking for the kind of media we are seeing these days (Titan, Finding Nemo, U-571 et al).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.