AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a universal remote. the equipment i will be using this on is a sony xbr3, a pioneer receiver v661, and a directv tv dvr h-21.

i tried to read through some of the "official harmonyxxx" threads but alot of them are from 06 and are like 4000 posts long.

So I was hoping you guys cold give me your advice to the best remote for my application.

any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I tried a Harmony and didn't like it (also would not cut my projector on). Sold it and bought a Pronto and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have two Harmony ONE's(one for the den and one for the bedroom) and they work just fine in my set-up's. In my main set-up, the den, I have a Mits 73835, DirecTV HR-22, Yamaha RX-V3900, Denon 2910, PS3, XBOX 360, Wii and a Yamaha iPod dock. The Wii is the only thing that the ONE can't directly control. Before I bought the second ONE, I was actually controlling both rooms with one remote(12 components and 14 activities) with no problems. My .02

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys!! Im not saying i want a harmony thats just seems to be the most popular, but im open to any as long as it works good and is reliable.

what are the differences between the pronto and the harmony that you like better? is it button layout? compatiblity? useablility??

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Step 1: What is your budget.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Budget......... I would like to keep it around 200$ but if it is really worth it and catches my attention i could probably go up to 300$.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I purchased a Harmony 880 off of Amazon (reconditioned) for $79 and paid an additional $15 for a two year warranty. It controls everything I have (including Sharp DT-510 projector) and Directv (can't remember model) flawlessly.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Pretty much any universal remote that you like will work. It only gets tricky when you don't have line-of-sight to your devices. At this point you may as well get a PC programmable remote since you are willing to spend $200.

Just make sure that you check the prices on Amazon.com before walking out of Best Buy with a remote. Then contact me and I'll give you my PayPal info to send me the money that you saved.

Off the top of my head trying to spend your $200 would be any Harmony 5XX, 6XX, 880, or One or the URC MX-810.

·
Registered
15,402 Posts
Dipablo,

This is likely waaay out of your price range, but my radio shack 15-134 does a fine job on a system like your's. It does learning, macros (like "activities" on harmony) and advanced codes (for things like discrete on/off and discrete inputs). Cost me $10 on sale, normally around $30. I realize this is a minority view, but I'd have a hard time dropping $200 on a remote for a 3 device system. Even the $70 harmony 510 would more than meet your needs. Unless you just want to impress your friends, I'd get a cheap remote and buy an ipod or bluray player (or food) with the difference if I were you. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15496762

Pretty much any universal remote that you like will work. It only gets tricky when you don't have line-of-sight to your devices. At this point you may as well get a PC programmable remote since you are willing to spend $200.

Just make sure that you check the prices on Amazon.com before walking out of Best Buy with a remote. Then contact me and I'll give you my PayPal info to send me the money that you saved.

Off the top of my head trying to spend your $200 would be any Harmony 5XX, 6XX, 880, or One or the URC MX-810.

Thanks, ill let you know how much i save :p!! right now im looking at the Harmony 880, the pronto 9200, or the mx 810. possibly the harmony ONE. do you have a preference?

thanks again to all of you here you guys are very helpful and it is much appriecated!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/15497660

Dipablo,

This is likely waaay out of your price range, but my radio shack 15-134 does a fine job on a system like your's. It does learning, macros (like "activities" on harmony) and advanced codes (for things like discrete on/off and discrete inputs). Cost me $10 on sale, normally around $30. I realize this is a minority view, but I'd have a hard time dropping $200 on a remote for a 3 device system. Even the $70 harmony 510 would more than meet your needs. Unless you just want to impress your friends, I'd get a cheap remote and buy an ipod or bluray player (or food) with the difference if I were you. My 2 cents.

Thats an understandable reaction, but i do have an ipod and a ps3. they just arent as critical atm to have on the remote but i would like to add them in the future once i buy the equipment for them (dock for ipod and ir transmitter for ps3). guess i should have mention these in the OP as future upgrades, my bad. i also am planning to redo my living room and would like to be able to control my lights and blinds. again i probably should have stated this in my OP but i guess i was just thinking of what i need the remote for right now.

thank you though for you rpost it was very helpful and maybe i will just get a less expensive one for now and get the more progamable one once i finally finsih all my upgrades! lots to ponder.......

Any other suggetsion??

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Well if you get the URC MX-810 you can add RF controlled lighting as well as an RF base station if you decide to hide your components (closet or cabinet).

Here's the lighting info http://www.universalremote.com/produ....php?model=157 (not exactly cheap).

The only Harmony remote able to do this is the 890, but it comes with the RF base so you get hit with the initial cost at purchase. It can control cheaper Z-wave switches such as Intermatic and would be similar to the URC Lutron switches.

I guess Step 2 is how future proof do you want to be?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
FWIW.

I had two Harmonys (880 and 890) and they are extremely easy to program and get running (you can be up and running in an hour) but they are limited in terms of configurability and they didn't always behave the way I wanted. I recently switched to a pronto 9800 and it is great. The only problem is that it takes a significant amount of time to get it set up (about 40 hours in my case). It is fully configurable and has a great touch screen. So it depends on how much money you want to spend and how deeply into fiddling with your HT system you are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts