AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, for those of you who don't know my situation.....I purchased a Marantz VP-12S1 from Japan back at the end of January. It played fine for 4-5 hours then I had 12 rows of pixels/mirrors that would stick, then the color wheel became out of sync, and then the remote sensor died. I sent that one back to Japan and got a new replacement unit. That one worked fine for the first 100 hours and then a dead mirror/pixel popped up in the middle of the screen. So back to Japan this one went and at first Marantz wouldn't fix it as they said it was within their specs. Then Marantz decided to fix it and after they had it the second time for 3 weeks replaced the whole projector with a new unit. It arrived this morning and after an hour or so of viewing it appears to be working fine. No flicker detected so far and no dead pixels. But as with the last projector the real test is time.

One last thing I would like to mention is that even though the projector was double boxed the styrofoam around the projector was all broken up again. I know Marantz probably tests their shipping boxes beforehand for damage but 2 out of the 3 Marantzs have had the styrofoam all broken up and you know my record with problems. Should a more sturdy box and padding be used on a $12.5k USD retail projector? Heck, make the retail $12,995 and encase it something really sturdy to hold up. I know my first Marantz's problems probably were due to shipping damage. Just a thought.

Mike

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbw23air
One last thing I would like to mention is that even though the projector was double boxed the styrofoam around the projector was all broken up again. I know Marantz probably tests their shipping boxes beforehand for damage but 2 out of the 3 Marantzs have had the styrofoam all broken up and you know my record with problems. Should a more sturdy box and padding be used on a $12.5k USD retail projector? Heck, make the retail $12,995 and encase it something really sturdy to hold up. I know my first Marantz's problems probably were due to shipping damage. Just a thought.

Mike

Well Mike, I can beat that. I'm two-for-two. Both Marantz units that were shipped to me had the foam inserts completely broken up. Hideous packaging. I've complained to my dealer and he complained to Marantz, I think they will change it.

John Moschella

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS !

Wait until you have a chance to sit back and just enjoy the show. I'll bet that you and even your wife have a hard time giving it up.

All Marantz would have to do to solve MOST of their shipping problems would be to replace the cheap styrofoam with polyethylene foam. My foam was also broken up but luckily the pj has functioned perfectly.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Mike, the last time I read someone on this subject from you, you were STILL going to sell your Marantz for a fairly reasonable USED price. :D How about it? I've got four big ones ready and waiting for you!!! :D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Finally sent my Marantz in today, the flickering problem (I have a very early production unit, US purchase) was getting really bad. Since I plan to hook it up to a HTPC eventually, also will have the firmware upgraded.

The styrofoam inside my Marantz box was also broken. So, before sending it in, carefully repaired and reinforced that styrofoam, then carefully double-boxed it in a fashion not unlike when they ship used uranium fuels rods from power plants! :D Also insured it for full MSRP, cost a bit more, but now not worried, OK, maybe just a little bit worried! ;)

Don't know if it's appropriate here, but would like to thank Dan Miller, and my dealer at Sound Advice for their great support! Kudos!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Mike, the last time I read someone on this subject from you, you were STILL going to sell your Marantz for a fairly reasonable USED price. How about it? I've got four big ones ready and waiting for you!!!
WanMan,

Well I was going to have Kwon sell it to the next person in line but he didn't want to do it because I guess it wouldn't have the full 1 year warranty still on it. I did think about selling it once I got it but since I had already taken the risk getting it here and making sure it works first I guess I am going to keep it. Plus now my styrofoam is all smashed up and it would be hard to pack it up right anyways to ship to someone. Plus you are about 2 big ones short. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/image...es/biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Mike

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Short? Two big ones? For a grey-market, used pj? I don't think so, hehe. :) Especially one that comes with a manufacturer's attitude of questionable origins.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Short? Two big ones? For a grey-market, used pj? I don't think so, hehe. Especially one that comes with a manufacturer's attitude of questionable origins.
WanMan,

I was sent a brand new one. Anyway its not for sale.

Thanks,

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.