AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about the new Umvd "Repo Man" disc being released in Region 1 today? Online information I have found about it is sketchy and contradictory - some places say 93 minutes, some 110, some say anamorphic, some just widescreen, and some (like Amazon) even say "animated" !

The previous Anchor Bay DVDs (now out of print and pricey) are apparently anamorphic. Is this one a step down (like the new Bride of Re-Animator) from previous releases, or is it a decent affordable disc? I have seen no reviews/previews or even rumors about this disc, oddly enough. Thanks.

·
23,039 Posts
Looks like a re-release of the non tin case version. Doesn't make sense to redo something

to make it worse. Athough it's from Universal, so they probably just added forced trailers at

the beginning. The difference in time is interesting though...

larry

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Just for reference the Anchor bay release was 93 minutes, so if the new one is longer that would be news. I've never heard any rumors about an extended cut of Repo Man; maybe some advertisers are including the extras???

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The version shown on TV had extra footage added so I thought maybe they were referring to that. The DVD Empire listing for this DVD says 110 minutes. However I think that is incorrect, since they allow you to see the back cover (very useful feature!) and it says 1 hour 33 minutes, which would be the original length. The back also says anamorphic widescreen, and says it has both 5.1 Dolby and DTS, unlike the DVD Empire listing which justs says Mono for the soundtrack. Amazon is even worse, they say "Animated" and "Widescreen" instead of non-animated and anamorphic. I have never seen such confusion. This DVD did not show up on the release lists of any of the DVD discussion sites I know; was not in Best Buy's computer system when I stopped by there today; has no previews or reviews anywhere; and has wildly different descriptions from different web vendors. Guess I will just have to see what actually shows up in my mailbox.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Well, if it turns out to be the same transfer that AB used I think you'll be very happy- it looks very nice! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that possible? I don't quite understand how or why these films jump from one home video company to another.

Apparently the new Bride of Re-Animator DVD is a far inferior transfer compared to the older out of print one, which now goes for big bucks. *sigh*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.