AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everyone.  I am looking to put together a relatively inexpensive home theatre / music sound system for my house.

I have a very old Klipsch SW-8 that still works great.  I have no receiver and no other speakers... so I'm starting basically from scratch.

I have a 58" Panasonic Viera Plasma tv in my family room.  My house has a large "great room" style setup..so the listening area is a large space.. almost 25' x 20'...  the actual area where the couch is located is maybe 10' from the TV... but the entire room / open space is much larger as there is a dining room and kitchen all in the same large room.  the ceilings are 9'.

my klispch SW-8 is plugged into my TV... form some parts of my room you can barely hear the bass.. move a bit closer or further away and it booms.. must be a combination of the smaller subwoofer and the large space /soudnwaves.. so i may need another rsub or a new / larger one.. maybe run both of them in the same room?

here is what I am looking at. i love my klispch sub.. it's been a reliable speaker for 20 years.  I have the pro media 2.1 system in my bedroom for my computer and love it.  it broke a while back.. WAY out of warranty and Klipsch sent me a brand new one for free. they have great customer service and great products..so I'd like to stay with their stuff..

here is what I am looking at.. from my initial online research.. the RF-52 or RF-62s look like great floor speakers to put up front.  a center speaker is next.  i'll probably use my existing sub at the moment..then add a larger sub later if I nee dit.  i'll add rear surrounds later too.. i'm on a budget... so I can't go spend thousands all at once...

i also need a receiver.

I have looked on CL and have seen some decent looking deals on older Klispch speakers that could be great deals.. or maybe that is a bad idea??

In my area - southern CA there are a lot of deals to be had. a quick search today revealed a few people selling Rf-3s for about $300/pair.  also some guy selling a set of KFX 10.5s and a matching Klispch center for about $250.

here is my question.. if I get a decent receiver.. and use my existing sub.. and then add a center and two towers...

will I be able to hear a huge difference between something like used RF-3s / KFX 10.5s / and new RF 52 or RF62s?

i plan to have these speakers a long time.. so I don't mind spending the money to get RF 52 or 62s.. but if I can get 90% of the sound for $300 with used RF-3s.. it might be a quicker/cheaper way for me to get some tin gin to my living room now..and if/when they broke or I get more into it.. I can upgrade to something gore expensive and sell the ones I bought...

what is the best bang for the buck? my SW-8 has lasted 20 years.. so I wonder if a nice set of RF-3s would be equally as durable..so it might be a great buy... any comments??

thank you

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you decide Klipsch is definitely what you want there is nothing wrong with used. You should be able to find the RF-52/62/82's used on craigslist too. From what everyone says the 62 is a significant and worthwhile upgrade over the 52. I own the 52's (used on CL) and have been looking for a great deal on 62's. Should be able to find the 62's for $300-450 used. The RC-62 will probably be $250-350 used. A newer and larger sub would be a great improvement in your space too. Don't get a Klipsch sub. Look into SVS, HSU, Rythmik, Power Sound Audio, or make your own if you're handy (post about that in the DIY section).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts