AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Looks neat, but I wonder if it is able to mirror your computer and if the Roku 3 remote (with headphone jack) will work with it....

·
Banned
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not certain what you mean by "able to mirror your computer" but the announcement in Roku site did mention the ability to cast from your PC is planned (if that's what you meant). Also Roku 3 remote should work but the headphone feature won't.

This sounds like a perfect little device for my needs. It does Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, YouTube and DLNA; and has dual band wifi. If it does 1080p24 like the old MHL Streaming Stick that would make it even better than perfect for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
is the hdmi version required published?

i tried the chromecast with my sony kd-36xs955(prob has hdmi v1.0).

it didnt work well at all.

·
Banned
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0shl  /t/1521086/new-roku-streaming-stick-2nd-generation#post_24453382

is the hdmi version required published?

i tried the chromecast with my sony kd-36xs955(prob has hdmi v1.0).

it didnt work well at all.

I think Roku's are HDMI 1.3 compatible. If Chromecast didn't work, I am not sure if Roku stick will work for you. IIRC, HDMI 1.0 didn't support HDCP or something and will cause problems with encrypted signal sources.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Since this new Streaming Stick will work with virtually all modern HDTVs, and is due next month, I thought it warranted its own thread. The specs look good on it:

Networking

802.11 dual-band (a/b/g/n compatible) with WEP, WPA, and WPA2 support

Video Outputs

720p

1080p

Audio Output

Digital over HDMI (7.1 and 5.1 surround pass through)

Power Consumption

Less than 2W (typical) when streaming HD video

Power Input

5V – 1A power adapter

Size

3.1 x 1.1 x .5 inches

Weight

0.64 ounces

And priced only $15 more than a Chromecast.

http://www.roku.com/products/streaming-stick

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
This is a smart move by Roku to counter Chromecast, but I wish they had differentiated it more from the original MHL version (they call the new one "HDMI version", but the old is HDMI as well, granted for a MHL capable port). They should've also included the nicer remote with the earphone jack.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

Quote:
And priced only $15 more than a Chromecast.
They're trying to compete against the Chromecast...that is too much...they should have came out at the exact same price without the remote and make it an extra cost for the remote.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
just ordered one from Best Buy; it should be here in a couple of days..

curious to see how it compares to my Roku 3 box!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had an idea using the new Roku Streaming stick and mating it with a small tv or monitor with HDMI inputs. Well, I have pulled my hair out the last few days after I returned one monitor and I'm ready to return a second one. Allow me to explain.

The Roku devices use HDCP, the copy protection protocol which has prevented me from using two Lilliput monitors I ordered from Amazon. It took me awhile to figure out it was the lack of HDCP compatibility which was driving me nuts.

Does anyone know of a small "device" ( I dare not call it a tv or monitor because I don't want to skew the comments ) which would allow me to use the Roku Stick and still view the content without it constantly flashing the video and making it impossible to view? One of the Lilliput monitors I got even has a battery to power it. Think watching Roku on the beach. (grin)

The idea is to be able to view Roku content anywhere you have Internet access.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Cheers

Rees

·
Registered
352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReesR  /t/1521086/new-roku-streaming-stick-2nd-generation#post_24625874

I had an idea using the new Roku Streaming stick and mating it with a small tv or monitor with HDMI inputs. Well, I have pulled my hair out the last few days after I returned one monitor and I'm ready to return a second one. Allow me to explain.

The Roku devices use HDCP, the copy protection protocol which has prevented me from using two Lilliput monitors I ordered from Amazon. It took me awhile to figure out it was the lack of HDCP compatibility which was driving me nuts.

Does anyone know of a small "device" ( I dare not call it a tv or monitor because I don't want to skew the comments ) which would allow me to use the Roku Stick and still view the content without it constantly flashing the video and making it impossible to view? One of the Lilliput monitors I got even has a battery to power it. Think watching Roku on the beach. (grin)

The idea is to be able to view Roku content anywhere you have Internet access.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Cheers

Rees

I would just buy a small tv. I bought a vizio 16" tv a few years ago for like $120 and use it all the time on my balcony. I just hook up my phones mhl to hdmi to it and play everything off my slingplayer app. I was thinking about getting the Roku stick but just realized that it still requires you to run the app on your phone, which seems a bit clunky and redundant, though it would reduce wires. The tv doesn't have the greatest viewing angle but most don't at this size. I would not get a monitor unless it distinctly says it is HDCP compliant, as many monitors are not (as you have found out), but pretty much all tvs are. If you could find a small ips monitor or tv that is HDCP compliant, that would be pretty cool for viewing angle on the beach. As for battery operated tvs, I am sure there are some. My vizio is actually 12v, so it would likely run for a while on an external battery if I bought one.

Btw, a quick look on amazon gave me a few results, with this one looking very promising and with high ratings http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2270SMH-LED-22-Inch-SuperClear-Frameless/dp/B009F1HUMQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398035856&sr=8-3&keywords=ips+monitor+hdcp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts