AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a 5.1 setup looking for room placement help it's 13 wide by 19 long.If it matters 51inch plasma will be in the room so im guessing the center channel should be in the center of the 13ft wide say 6.5ft.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
First. You'll need to determine where the main seating position will be. This is TYPICALLY the diagonal of the TV times 1.62 for a 16:9 HDTV. Since your TV is 51 inches, then around 82 inches will be your sitting distance from your TV.

The center channel would indeed be at the center at 0°. Left and right speakers should be located 22° to 30° to the left and right of center. The surround speakers should be at 90° to 110° from center, which would be directly facing each ear to slightly behind each ear. All speakers should be at ear level but it is also OK to have the center above or below and pointed up/down at the main listening position. The surround speakers can also be moved UP and pointed at the the listening position. Main left/right can either be pointed straight or toed in towards the listening position depending on the TYPE ( mono-pole, di-pole, bi-pole ) speaker. These are only GENERAL guidelines and should be used as a STARTING POINT for finer speaker placement depending on your room.

Just like a drug bust gone bad... Everything should be pointed at your head.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As of right now i got the sitting position around 136inches measure from tv to my head.The degree is what really gets me since i was never good with measuring degrees and stuff wasn't my strong suit.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000  /t/1522765/new-room-speaker-placement#post_24488637

As of right now i got the sitting position around 136inches measure from tv to my head.The degree is what really gets me since i was never good with measuring degrees and stuff wasn't my strong suit.

Those numbers/angles are only going to work if you stick with the THX recommended viewing distance and will vary if you go outside those distances. One thing I've done is take one of those cheap angle jigs from a portable table saw and attach a laser pointer to it. Set the angle to where you want the speakers to be positioned and line them up with the laser pointer beam. You can actually buy special laser measuring systems used in construction that will also do angles but they cost more than a $5 laser pointer and table saw jig.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well been messing around in the new room having some balance issue ran audyssey calibration sound un balance it will lean a little to one side so i try moving the speakers the same distance from back and left wall which i can't seem to do the side walls but at least got the backs the same distance then i use a measuring tape to make sure everything was correct and they both match up well i go to measure center of woofer to center of the center channel speaker and even them out exactly in the middle for both sides after that i measure from LP to each speaker 1 speaker comes up like 10.9 and another 11 so i dial them in now the sound switches side now i'm just stump no matter what i do it just won't even out the sound between the two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts