AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to demo the new Runco DLP today and was very impressed. I spoke with Matt (mattman) at the Sound Room in Creve Couer, he was very knowledgable and I would highly recommend speaking with him if you are in the area shopping for HT.

I felt the Runco was very solid on HD material, great on DVD's, and decent with DirectTV. The screen was a 100" Greyhawk and the blacks were very impressive. This is by far the most impressive DLP I have seen to date. Although its very pricey,(16K) it seemed to me like you were getting what you paid for.

This is just my non-professional opinion.

Has anyone else had the opportunity to see this unit? What di you think.....worth the $$$$$?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mark.. I have the Runco VX1000C and chose it for basically the same reasons you stated. Is it worth it? I actually auditioned the Sharp X9000 and the Marantz using the same Runco processor and a Farouja (spelling?) which brought all the units to that $17m range. I thought the Runco looked better. Sharp and Marantz are OK, but you should find someone who has the SIMS2 HT-300 and view it, I think you'll be impressed with it also. Ron AZ

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Ron/Mark,

The best way to audition the Marantz is standalone. It effectively has a Faroudja NRS built into it. Connecting an outboard scaler or processor defeats the purpose of Marantz incorporating the Faroudja chips in the PJ. That also makes the PJ much less $ than the Runco. The Runco may be brighter (and may have better perceived blacks as a result) but for my $ you can't beat the Marantz.

TM

·
Registered
246 Posts
anthonymoody, I actually did view both the Marantz and the Sharp without the additional processor first. I then wanted to be able to compare all three PJ using the same processor to determine which 'projector' gave the best picture. Don't get me wrong, I thought all the pictures were good, I just liked the Runco better, so that is why I purchased it, as you believed the Marantz was better... Ron AZ

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Seen all the Runco DLP's possible including the VX1000C & all I can say is that they are at the bottom of the list in picture quality let alone price...

That is so sad because they have a good name in the industry.

Just MHO

Chris

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think you didnt see a proper set up demo.. I saw the VX1000 and it rivaled all the projectors Ive seen..

Chris

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Chris Dallas:

Arguably overpriced, but "at the bottom of the list in picture quality"???? Do the words 'rhetorical overkill' ring a bell Sparky?

htomei

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anthonymoody
The best way to audition the Marantz is standalone. It effectively has a Faroudja NRS built into it. Connecting an outboard scaler or processor defeats the purpose of Marantz incorporating the Faroudja chips in the PJ.
Anthony:

I am not disagreeing but I want to know if ANYONE here has actually made the comparison (with and without an NRS). It would be a very interesting one.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
QQQ, the Marantz does NOT have pixel perfection so ANY video processing is going to be reprocessed by the internal Faroudja processor whether you want it or not! Which, IMHO, is going to look worse not better! The sharp does have a pixel perfection input so it would make sense to use the Faroudja NRS. If I use the progressive mode on my RP-56 into the Marantz it looks worse than using the interlace mode. On any other viewing device I have seen to date, the RP-56 looks better in progressive but not on the Marantz. The internal Faroudja is mated pixel perfect in the PJ and you want as much of a raw/unprocessed signal inputted and let the Marantz do the work.

I hope this makes sense.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Mark,

I saw the Runco at the Sound Room last Saturday during their grand opening. They were showing Gladiator. Overall I very much liked the image quality, but something was wrong. When they throw a sword to Russel Crowe during one of the matches it seemed like the motion was very jerky (not fluid). I thought I noticed this during several scenes. I am not sure what caused this. I don't remember what Runco showed at CES, but at least on the projector at the Sound Room something was disconcerting about the viewing experience.

Bryan

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed this on my old CRT rear projection when I watch this DVD. I do not know if it was filmed that way or is a problem in the DVD itself. I do not think it was the projector.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mark- Thanks for the kind words! So far everyone I've talked to has seemed to really like the VX-1000C. The Sharp is a great projector but there's no doubt to my eye that the Runco is better.

bgarcia- I also noticed some things on the Gladiator disc. I've tried out several other DVD's and it doesn't seem to be the pj, although I could be wrong. I put "The Hollow Man" on today and it was awesome.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
htomei22:

Yes they do ring a bell but I'm more on the line of "grandiloquent overkill" because it deserves it sparquette!

Chris

·
Registered
246 Posts
Chris Dallas... could you share with us which PJ you own and why you feel it is the best and why you bought it? ..thank you.. Ron AZ

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have not seen the new Runco VX-1000 yet, but most of the people who have say it looks great. One of the factors many people like is the added brightness over the Sharp, Marantz and Seleco. This could be a big factor if your viewing enviroment is less than ideal.

I believe the Runco is the most expensive single chip DLP on the market. It costs $7k more than the Sharp, $5k more than the Marantz and $4k more than the Seleco HT300. (all prices being MSRP).

So my question is simple - is it THAT much better than these other projectors? Reed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
ReedW,

To correct your numbers on comparing prices. The Runco is a package of a DLP AND a seperate Scaler for the $17K liist price. Do the math of adding a NRS+ to a Sharp Z9000 and the numbers are VERY close.

Mike

p.s. I have viewed several DLP setups and the Runco VX-1000 is the best I have seen!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ron,

Since the lens of your vx-1000c is above the top of your screen image by about 6" (as you stated in another thread), if you don't mind, could you please check the installation menu on your PFP to see how many degrees of keystone correction (if any) your using?

To access this I believe you press menu, highlight installation and press enter. Then select keystone.

I want to see if you can mount the pj a little bit above the top of the screen image without having to use keystone correction which if used degrades picture quality.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelZ
The Marantz does NOT have pixel perfection so ANY video processing is going to be reprocessed by the internal Faroudja processor whether you want it or not! Which, IMHO, is going to look worse not better! The sharp does have a pixel perfection input so it would make sense to use the Faroudja NRS. If I use the progressive mode on my RP-56 into the Marantz it looks worse than using the interlace mode. On any other viewing device I have seen to date, the RP-56 looks better in progressive but not on the Marantz. The internal Faroudja is mated pixel perfect in the PJ and you want as much of a raw/unprocessed signal inputted and let the Marantz do the work.

I hope this makes sense.
Michael:

It should look better when you are using the RP-56 in interlaced mode if the Faroudja de-interlacer in the Marantz projector is better (does the RP-56 also use a DCDI chip?). That is one of the reasons I would be interested to see it with an NRS. Then we could compare the de-interlacers in the two.

You are of course correct that the comparison would not be entirely valid if the Marantz is still scaling, however it would not be de-interlacing (the NRS would be doing that).

I have a general awareness of how Faroudja is marketing DCDI. What I wonder is if what they are offering to third parties is truly the equal (or IDENTICAL) to what they are using in their own units. It very well could be but I do not know. If someone can answer that here definitively I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
QQQ, exactly! The Marantz is *always* scaling and de-interlacing (if needed) plus who knows what else is going on and any front-end video processor is for all intents and purpose, is going to be *reprocessed* by the Marantz. This, I think, was the point I was trying to make! :) Therefore, feed the Marantz as raw/pure a signal as possible and let it do its thing. I would prefer a shoot out with the Faroudja NRS and Sharp combo going head to head against a stock Marantz and see how well the Marantz does!

It would also be interesting to see how the Runco compares against these two, of course the Runco is a lot brighter so it might make it difficult to really compare images.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.