AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know anything about this new projector?

says under $10K and "best in its category" on the runco page. just released in october........

any opinions or thoughts or info?

I am shopping for a dlp and wont be buying for a few more months.....this new one might be a good contender.....

danny

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
It is a LT150/LT150z knock-off.

Runco simply added 10lbs and a lot more girth to the package.

Look at page 6 of their user's manual: http://www.runco.com/Downloads/Manuals/DR-300.pdf

The didn't even bother moving the LT150's input connectors to the back of the chasis! The user has to go underneath the unit to get to them recessed in the center! This projector is nothing more than an LT150 in a black hush box!

I don't know wether to laugh or cry, but I do know that this unit is not worth near $10,000.

Save your money and go for the LT150 or LT150z.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I just checked the pdf. What a joke! I can't beleive it! Not even a VHD unit included for that price! What a rip! But really guys, these products are not meant for us enthusiasts. They are for rich people who are not knowledgeable about electronics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I always thought the Runco brand represented the best possible quality in projectors, and that they made all their own products. Do you mean to say that Runco is re-branding their nameplate on a product made by another company? I'm not really familiar with the LT150. Could someone enlighten me on this issue? I'm looking for the best possible DLP projector for around the 10K price range.

What about the DR300C, which includes a customized VHD controller. Is this a good combination? Or should I stick with the Sharp z9000u, about which I've heard many good reports.

Thanks for any help,

Dan

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
As for Runco, I believe this has been that way for most of their products, especially there CRTs.

This is not to say the quality is bad, it is just that most people here get angry at the huge markup for the percieved minor, or no, upgrades.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Dan,

The Runco CRTs are rebadged Zenith units.

Runco represents the best quality in marketing.

I can't think of any "Runco" product that Runco actually makes. Perhaps someone else can?

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Actually, Runco's current CRT OEM partner is Barco--in the past, Runco has partnered up with NEC, etc. to deliver product. So, yes, Runco is simply re-badging existing product--their value add is their dealer network (lots of hand holding) and their customer service and support (some may think otherwise!). The same holds true for their plasmas and DLPs.

I think I remember someone noting that their new PFP scalers were actually designed inhouse--correct?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Some people in this forum have complained about support, but I think Runco goes above and beyond the call of duty (e.g., swapping out units when one is being fixed) for their customers. Perhaps it's just part of the Runco-bashing this place is famous for...obviously, Runco's target audience is not a budget-conscious DIY-type of person.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did anyone notice that they have listed on the web page down in aspect rations that it says optional Anamorphic lens. I wonder what Runco is using for that.

Greg

P.S. My father had a DTV-852 that he barely used (were talking less than a 1000 hours after 3 years). Service on this thing was a nightmare. Since the dealer he got it from got out of the projector game he called Runco about sending the unit in for repair which they said no it had to come from one of their dealers. He contacted a Runco Platinum dealer who turns out had never even touched a CRT projector. Long story short after 3 months and $4500 later (this included a $250 Runco box to ship the unit back in that the idiot dealer throw away after it got back), the unit still does not work correctly. Rant over.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Alex says: Perhaps it's just part of the Runco-bashing this place is famous for...obviously, Runco's target audience is not a budget-conscious DIY-type of person.

Does this mean non-budget-conscious DIY-types should allow themselves to be duped? I doubt it; being prudent is the reason many do not have to worry about budgets. :D

·
Premium Member
25,493 Posts
For the record, in an interview of Runco in WSR Imaging Science 2000, he said that they worked with NEC and that they actually redesigned circuit boards with blank spots for components Runco would add into their units.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
VideoNut:

I don't think Runco is duping anyone--nor is Vidikron for that matter. Say what you will, these guys basically defined HOME theater, taking CRT projectors marketed almost exclusively in the business world and refocusing them in the home theater world through dealers. You may not like their markup, but they seem to be doing *something* right. I think there's a striking parallel in plasmas right now--with one a few companies actually manufacturing the glass, there is a LOT of re-bading going on, and no one seems to care.

My point was that every time Runco is mentioned in a thread, we see the same tired response: it's a ripoff. And I honestly believe for the people who frequent this forum, that's basically true...this forum is geared towards those who are very value conscious (nothing wrong with that) and who do lots and lots of homework before making purchase decisions. The typical Runco or Vidikron customer is likely NOT going to stop by here--they're going to listen to their dealer.

Okay, enough of this--I'm way off topic here!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks very much to the members of this forum for the insights into Runco. It has opened my eyes regarding this company, as I previously thought of them as the standard-setter for home theater projection. I was previously thinking about the DR300C at my installer/dealer's suggestion.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best picture quality/performance projector in the $10k range? I'll be having it installed in a multi-purpose room (that does have some ambient light, controllable with mylar shades), and projecting onto an 80"x45" Stewart Greyhawk screen. I'll be watching mostly DVD's on this screen, and occasionally HDTV via satellite.

I'm considering the Sharp 9000.

thanks for any suggestions,

Dan

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
I don't know wether to laugh or cry, but I do know that this unit is not worth near $10,000.
If the Sharp 9000 costs $7000, the "hometheater" version of a LT150/LT150z should worth every cents of $10k.

So Sam puts a new 6 segments color wheel, a better de-interlacer/scaler, adjustable gamma table, motion artifact killer (this one is a must have!), hushbox design, motorize anamorphic lens build-in. And a IE 6.0 to surf the Net without a PC! I'll buy it sight unseen at list price!

Sorry, just kidding! :)

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Dan,

The Sharp sounds like to projector for you. They have a little bit of a lip sync issue on NTSC inputs (i.e. 480i). But once they get that squared away, I think it will be a best in class.

Li On,

Don't go spreading any rumors about 6 segment color wheels. That could have been a big advantage but I don't see anything like that mentioned at all.

As far as the motion dither or whatever you want to call it. I find using 720p helps with video filter "on" helps. I also don't see much of it at all at XGA 60Hz.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amillians
VideoNut:

I don't think Runco is duping anyone--nor is Vidikron for that matter. Say what you will, these guys basically defined HOME theater, taking CRT projectors marketed almost exclusively in the business world and refocusing them in the home theater world through dealers. You may not like their markup, but they seem to be doing *something* right. I think there's a striking parallel in plasmas right now--with one a few companies actually manufacturing the glass, there is a LOT of re-bading going on, and no one seems to care.

My point was that every time Runco is mentioned in a thread, we see the same tired response: it's a ripoff. And I honestly believe for the people who frequent this forum, that's basically true...this forum is geared towards those who are very value conscious (nothing wrong with that) and who do lots and lots of homework before making purchase decisions. The typical Runco or Vidikron customer is likely NOT going to stop by here--they're going to listen to their dealer.

Okay, enough of this--I'm way off topic here!
How about Barco then?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.