AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If it like any of the other Runco's DLP's it is overpriced. Good projectors, but they charge a premium based on their reputation as a leader in CRT's.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Did anyone notice in the spec sheet at the above link that the accompanying processor doesn't output at the projectors native resolution of 1366 x 768?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm actually a little surprised Runco isn't going for the gold, 1280*720 DLP! Although, I guess the Sanyo is here now... It almost seems weird, isn't this new LCD going to canabalize sales from their 101c? It will certainly introduce confusion, better black and less resolution (101c) or higher res, 16*9, poorer black level (OEM'ed Sanyo). The spec on the web page says 2,000 lumens, does that match with the PLV-60?

I wonder if they'll offer anamorphic 2.35:1 with their anamorphic lens? The scaler they include with it could be modified to handle it, especially since it should already be able to windowbox 4:3.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
441 Posts
Kfung:

The Sanyo unit is 1200 Lumens. It used to be 1300 but lost 100 lumens as a result of class B non-compliance. The new lower output model is designated PLV60HT as opposed to PLV 60.

Has TI announced its 1280x720 DLP chip yet. When I spoke to them I guess they were pushing the 848 x 600 chip because they wouldn't say when the higher res. chip would be announced.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
knuck, The Runco does output the 1366x768 with it's processor, they (Runco) just list the wrong one. There web page appears to be wrong. It appears that they are showing the specs for the PFP7, when they should be showing PFP11, the PFP11 processor does output the proper resolution. You can find it by going under Vivix processors.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Knuck,

Sharp was showing a 1280*720 DLP front-projector at CES this past January. TI's been pimping their 1280*720 rear-projectors for some time now, they were certainly at the TI booth at INFOCOMM and CES. Of course, at $10k+ for an RPTV it's out of the question for most consumers.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you are in the Chicago Area and want to see a DLC2000 I will be at a bar with a Runco DLC2000 on a Stewart Grey Hawk on Tues projecting the Cubs game of air in HD..

All are welcome admission is FREE. Steve Dahl will be there and we might have some good demo HD from Fletcher Chicago and Kurtis HD.

I will give you the exact location as soon as I get it.

Steve Has an A/V forum if you are interested, please chime in. LINK

------------------

Jim Burns www.dtvconsultants.com

[This message has been edited by David Bott (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
683 Posts
Back to the original question. Yes I have seen this projector. It was one of the Runco products featured at a home theater show sponsored by a high end retailer here in the Seattle area.

My opinion - decent picture but like ALL Runco products, over priced. As most of you know Runco does not manufacturer anything. They take OEM products, tweak them and rebadge with the Runco name plate. To be fair I should admit I am not a big fan of Runco. I simply feel they charge to much for "tweaking" other manufacturers products. (I own a PLUS UP-1100 DLP, which at the time you could buy for around 5k new. It is the SAME projector that Runco sells as the VX1C with a scaler for 17k.) That is a pretty big mark-up in my opinion.

As for the picture, This project is a good example of the debate between LCD and DLP. Pro's of the Runco,(Sanyo http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ), bright picture and very vibrant colors. Con's - poor black level and screen door effect. I was sitting about 12' back from a 100" diagonal 16:9 screen and the screen door effect was pretty obvious. One the plus side the outboard scaler seemed to do a pretty good job.

If it were me I would pass on this projector. I think you could do much better for the price. I don't know what the price is exactly, but be sure that retail price and "street" price on Runco products are about the same. Runco does not discount. As a dealer if you get caught discounting they will yank your dealership.

I must admit I am not much of a fan of the Runco business model. It worked for selling big CRT's that require lot's of hand holding from a dealer to install and keep calibrated. I think these huge mark-ups are not needed for digital projectors.

Reed.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Your Plus, while a good P.A is not a Hi-Fi. It does not do HD in the proper aspect ratio and it has goofy gamma curves and poor scaling.

A good friend of mine works at Plus, he gave me a shirt, and he bought the VX1c for his home. There is a large price difference but the projector is heavily modified and it comes with Oscar and Emmy nominated scaling.

I do like the picture from Runco DLPs better in most cases. The DLC200 is great for it’s flexibility in mounting and that it will handle quite a bit of ambient light which is a big issue at a bar.

Of course the best picture is CTR but you need a designated home theater, prefect light control and a big budget.

*I consult for Runco

------------------

Jim Burns www.dtvconsultants.com

I am the king of the typo

[This message has been edited by Jim Burns (edited 08-04-2001).]

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
If Runco would put out a single-chip DLP with picure quality that matched its price,I'd buy one on Monday and live happily ever after.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Jim - points well taken. Thank you for disclosing that you are on the Runco payroll.

My point was, and still is, that my Plus UP1100 WITH an outboard scaler,(HTPC, Quadscan...), is still going to be $10,000 less than the RUNCO VX1C. Will it equal the Runco? Each person needs to make that judgement for themselves. For me personally I could not see a $10,000 difference.

Don't get me wrong, I still think there is a market for Runco products. For those who want a good product, with no effort on their part for a premium price.

If you follow this forum you will find that does not match many members here. Folks here are willing to do lots of research, tweaking and mix and match products to equal or surpass the quality of Runco at many times half the cost. If every consumer was willing or interested in doing this Runco would lose a whole lot of business. You know it, I know it and Sam Runco knows it. I live in the Pacific Northwest where there are lots of software guys willing to plunk down big bucks for Runco's and Sony G90's. More power to them if that's how they want to spend their hard earned money. That's not me or the majority of folks here at the Forum.

On a bigger scale I think Sam Runco will be challenged to question his business model in the next few years. Digital projectors simply do not require the amount of dealer support that CRT's do. As digital gets better, and it will, CRT's will shrink as a percentage of the home theater market. That will leave the high mark-up/high margin model Runco has so successfully used to sell CRT's in a very tough position.

Now back to the original topic, I agree the Runco DLP's do provide a better picture than the LCD's. Reed.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
According to a high end AV dealer in Houston that carries Runco, the LCD projector will be $7000 MSRP.

He told me that a couple of weeks ago. I guess we'll know for sure soon.

-phil

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I spoke with a rep from Runco about 2 months ago and with my local Runco dealer just this past week. Both stated the same: MSRP on the Runco with scaler is $20K!

·
Registered
729 Posts
The $7000 DLC 800X600 with controller was a concept piece, it may or may not come out. We will see at CEDIA.

------------------

Jim Burns
www.dtvconsultants.com

·
Registered
683 Posts
The $20k price for the "Runco" LCD is the same as I was quoted by the Runco rep a couple of months ago.

It is a Sanyo projector, not sure which model, but a previous poster said it is the PLV-60 which sells for around $7k.

So if this particular LCD projector fits your needs you have two choices.

1) Buy the Runco package for $20k. My guess is that for $20k your local Runco Dealer will throw in the installation as well, since for a digital projector it is quite straight forward.

2) Buy the Sanyo for $7k and a scaler,(Quadscan,Crystal Image), for $2k for a total of $9k. Do the install yourself. This would save you around $llk, of course you would have two remote controls instead of one http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

Will the these two set-ups provide the exact same performance? Who knows? Runco supporters,(and dealers), will scream "of course not". Each person will need to let their own eyes be the judge.

My guess is that most people will not see an $11k difference. It seems quite clear which choice provides the better "value". $11k buys a screen, surround sound package and a whole lot of DVD's. Reed.

·
Registered
729 Posts
All of this guessing of make and model of the Runco’s is just pud pulling B.S.

Runco is Runco.

How Many Manufacturers are there of DLP Chips?

LCD Panels?

Plasma Glass?

It is all the same stuff!

Look at the picture and decide with your eyes. There are many differences in all of thease products to the trained and untrained eye. Runco, Dwin, Seleco and Vidikron are the only Home Theater projectors on the market. The other stuff is a P.A. system. You might as well place 70V TOA speakers for your surround system when you put a Infocus projector in your Home theater.

The secret to Home Theater is in the processing, black level, color space and color fidelity none of witch industrial units give a dam about.

Don’t second guess Runco or another Home Theater manufacturer unless you do a side by side demo.

BTW the unit mentioned above is not what you think it is.

I will now get off my soap box.

------------------

Jim Burns
www.dtvconsultants.com

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Okay Jim...shall we side by side a VX1C against a Plus UP1100-T (Thumperized) with a HTPC as source? Should be an easy victory given that it's just a "P.A. system".

Loser covers my airfare from DC? Someone will have to provide a HTPC though. I'm not lugging mine as carry on luggage. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Nigel

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.