Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just spoke with Sampo here is what I found out...

Next week arrives their new 27" HDTV compatable monitor called the sme 27fdL5-- unlike the previous 27" it will have a flat screen. This flat screen will no longer be made by Toshiba but instead by LG. However I was assured that this new LG tube is superior to the toshiba and has a dot-pitch of .68 and 30% brighter. It is interesting to note that this new LG flat screen might be the same one that LG/Zenith is now going to use on their direct view HDTV's- this could be a good or bad sign depending on how one views the new Zenith/LG.

Has anyone else heard about this new monitor- if so do you think it might make for the best 27"?

ALso heard that the are redesigning the 34" widescreen- using a new tube (probably LG too IMO) it was indicated to me that its picture would be amazing. Coming spring 2002.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Jl123-

I've read in a number of posts that both Sampo and Princeton use a supposedly better Tosh tube- any guess as to why they wouldn't use it in their 34"-especially since you would think it would be oriented towards the enthusiast? By the way- any suggestion on a Princeton vs. the Sampo? One last thing- have you heard that Sampo will be replacing the Tosh tubes in their 34" with the LG tubes as well?

thanks,

gary

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Net,

I think that the big three don't want to use their best tubes mostly because they are cheap. They realize they can get away with giving us displays that do the job of displaying HDTV.

The feeling I got from speaking with the guy at Sampo, was first that this guy was pretty high up the ladder and that he really knew his stuff- and I think I got him to hint that they were going towards all LG tubes which he indicated were an improvement over even Toshiba's microfilter. I'm not sure if he will be right, but I can say that in the computer monitor arena microfilter tubes are no longer state-of-the-art, so it could be that LG or others do have better technology.

The new 27" I think will be a tuner-less striped monitor with tuner and doublers optional- which will mean it will probably be cheap maybe 700-900$. Although this will represent an absolute steal in terms of performance- it remains to be seen if Sampo's are built anywhere near as well as anything from Japan????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.