AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through a Sunday advertisement (don't remember which one, think it was Best Buy), and saw an ad for a Samsung (pretty sure) DVD player that was advertised as upconverting progressive scan DVD output to "HD" resolutions of 720p or 1080i. Anyone heard of such a beast, and would it really improve the pq since the source is presumably 480i/p?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ya, I really should google stuff before posting. For anyone not familiar with this unit, it appears to be somewhat of a non-starter with significant quality problems, etc. Also, you have to use the DVI output to achieve resolutions higher than 480p, and apparently the output pq isn't all that great to begin with. Anyone here have any experience with this player?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I picked one up (HD-931) this weekend and I must say the picture is very good on my 65TWX20B. Only problem so far is that one DVD did have some dropouts and it does have some motion artifacts every now and then. But at 1080i the picture is notably better than my Denon 3800 when it is working correctly. I can hardly wait for a quality DVI player and am very hopeful for the new Denon 5900.....Steve

·
Registered
350 Posts
One main drawback of this player is that it has poor zooming capabilities on non-standard widescreen movies. Search this forum and you'll find tons of reviews on this player (There is a very good review by Santellavision ... .) Check it out here

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I haven't heard about any particular quality problems (after the newest patches were applied). In fact by all accounts is the more trouble free DVI player out there right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.