AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the Q90R soundbar and for now I'm using it with my older Panasonic plasma. Have a cable box and my custom built media center PC connected to it via HDMI then another HDMI to the TV. I'm trying to figure out if the decoded audio type is indicated anywhere on the device or on the TV.

Does it have an on-screen menu or info display of any kind?

Does the LCD display on the soundbar show if the audio is DD5.1 or Atmos or any other type?

So far I only see the indication of the input source. Also, I was trying to test Atmos via a file downloaded to my PC. First I connected via optical then via HDMI from the Nvidia card. Would any of these connections pass on Atmos to the soundbar? If so how would I know?

I have to say even with the current sources the upconversion is very good. However it would be nice to see for sure that the soundbar is getting the correct signal. My older Onkyo receiver would indicate DD 5.1 or other types based on input.

· Registered
280 Posts
Just got the Q90R soundbar and for now I'm using it with my older Panasonic plasma. Have a cable box and my custom built media center PC connected to it via HDMI then another HDMI to the TV. I'm trying to figure out if the decoded audio type is indicated anywhere on the device or on the TV.

Does it have an on-screen menu or info display of any kind?

Does the LCD display on the soundbar show if the audio is DD5.1 or Atmos or any other type?

So far I only see the indication of the input source. Also, I was trying to test Atmos via a file downloaded to my PC. First I connected via optical then via HDMI from the Nvidia card. Would any of these connections pass on Atmos to the soundbar? If so how would I know?

I have to say even with the current sources the upconversion is very good. However it would be nice to see for sure that the soundbar is getting the correct signal. My older Onkyo receiver would indicate DD 5.1 or other types based on input.
I can only answer a couple of your questions. It does not have any onscreen display. This is 3rd gen, and would be really helpful, so no idea why Samsung didn’t add it. So we’re all stuck with the tiny, limited display on the bar itself.

As far test files, I am no expert, but I do know that optical is completely incapable of passing any kind of Dolby Atmos. So even adding optical to HDMI would break the Atmos. ATMOS is strictly HDMI only. So I don’t know what type of equipment you have available, but I can say that I’ve downloaded DTS X and Atmos files to my thumb drive and they played flawlessly through my Sony UBP X700.

As far as sound indicator, I’ve only seen the soundbar display when you’re receiving Atmos or DTS X. Which is great, but it will never indicate if you’re receiving vanilla DD 5.1, DTS, Dolby True HD, of DD Plus. You’re stuck relying on existing equipment to see what signal you’re sending to the soundbar.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! You've pretty much answered all my questions. I've since figured out how to send Dolby Atmos signal from my PC. The HDMI connection works fine for that but I had to download the "Dolby Access" app for Win10 and it configured the necessary. Yeah, too bad it doesn't indicate any other signal type but I can live with that now that I know it works.

My only other issue is that in my living room the sub-woofer is way too loud. I have it set on -12 for most content. If there are any tips on how to tame the beast I'd be interested.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.