AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tv is a brand new samsung PN50B550, source is a new scientific atlantic 8300HD brighthouse box connected via a new HDMI 1.3 cable............just hooked this all up in my new place, used to have an old crappy tv hooked up to it until today.

for about the first 30-60mins the TV was working fine....then it randomly started reloading the picture, as if i changed my picture settings (goes black, says the time and resolution in the top corner, sound cuts out for a sec, then back to the show)......it is doing this every 2-120 seconds....sometimes 3-4 times in a row 2 seconds in between, then sometimes goes for 2 mins with no prob.

as you can imagine, this is INCREDIBLY annoying....best buy is closed and i didnt find anything useful by searching, other threads i found were mostly about the entire TV resetting, which is a different problem.

i switched to watching a DVD on my PS3 and it never resets or has a problem, and the picture wasn't resetting when i had another older TV hooked up to the same HD box, so obviously it must be something with the new TV or the way it is interacting with the HD box.

what should i do or check?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Is it possible that your new HDMI cable is defective?

Have you tried reversing the HDMI cable (in case one of the ends is wonky)?

Set the 8300HD to output everything at 1080i and disable all the other resolutions.

Have you tried connecting the 8300HD to the TV with Component Video instead of HDMI?

Did you try using that new HDMI cable with your PS3 (if that's even possible)?

Do you have another HDMI cable that you try? Or borrow one?

Is the TV's power cord securely attached?

If all else fails, reboot the 8300HD.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick response.......i unplugged everything for 10 mins and now it seems to be working ok.....very weird.......guess its kinda like my cable modem, just needs to be rebooted sometimes!

ill post again if it starts acting up! (fingers crossed it doesnt)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I had an issue with my son's TV and the pc input signal. I got the desktop fine, but the TV kept telling me that there was no input signal.

Having just hooked up the pc, I checked the cable at both ends. Turns out I had just pushed in the cable on the pc end and forgotten to tighten the screws that hold the connection firm.

Apparently I was getting enough of a connection to display the desktop, but not enough to satisfy the tv that something was hooked up. A few twists of the connection knobs on the pc did the trick.

HDMI connections are fairly flaky, as they are just push in deals with no way to really fasten them in place. It is not uncommon for them to come loose from either the weight of the cable itself, or, if you bump the connector when hooking up other gear.

Swapping the cables is an excellent idea. If the problem disappears, you're done. If it follows the cable, you have identified the source of the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts