AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been lurking around here for a while and had to pull the trigger between a Samsung PN50B650 and a Panny TCP50G10 -- went for the Samsung due Panny's (plausible) rising blacks fiasco, despite review of initially deeper blacks.

First impressions:

Blacks: my friend has a 5010 Kuro, so I may be a little biased, but the blacks on the Samsung are 'good'. Maybe a tad lighter than I expected, but hey that's not a 4k$ panel either. Haven't fiddled around too much with the settings, but changing to Movie mode notably deepens the blacks. Overall, generally satisfied with that.

Buzz: Yes there's a slight buzz. No you can't notice it with the built-in speakers and/or sound system at a normal listening level. I sit around 7-8 feet of the panel and to be honest, you really have to push it to hear it. I did some tests with a static picture and it does get a little louder (ie. hissier) in bright scenes and is not related to speaker/sound volume: probably is something with internal power regulation. Definately not a showstopper; I will not return the set because of this.

Cinema smooth bug: Yeah it's there and kind'of ruins the 24p mode (darks get too bright). I won't be using this mode since I can hardly tell the difference anyways between it and normal mode; I've been testing streaming bd-rips over hdmi from my wdtv (it's set to output in 1080p/24). I can live with that (without 24p mode that is), and we may be lucky and have it fixed in a s/w upgrade (tho I'm not betting on it).

However: I've noticed some possible artificat, which I'm not sure if it's normal. Here's my test scenario: I switch to an hdmi input that has nothing to get a 100% black screen, I hit the menu button, I look at the darker shades of the menu buttons and if I get real close to the TV, say 1 feet, I can see really fast sparkling reddish/greeninsh dots in those areas. You really can't see it past 3-4 feet of viewing distance, but it sortof looks like the panel is having a hard time driving dark/subtle colors. It only happens in dark areas. It also happens playing normal 1080p content in darker areas either with my wdtv, or with 1080i ota hd signals.

I've read similar stuff around here on other panels; the consensus sometimes is that the drive voltage is too low and needs to be adjusted. Am I being too paranoid/freak or is this sort of sparkling at very close distance in dark areas normal?

Other than that the colours are generally f*in awesome on the set; would not go as far to say better than the kuro's, but most probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 2 panels side-by-side in colorful / lively scenes. In most tvshows, movie scenes etc. the picture is right down amazing.

Thanks and please enlighten me concerning sparkles/dots.

ps: I will be going to the store today to see if demo sets exhibit similar dark dot/pixel artificats (or if it's just mine).

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not sure that it's the same problem, but on my old FT-P5084 Samsung, I suffered the dreaded "Dancing Green Pixels" or whatever they called it.

A power supply, 3 boards, 2 attempts at voltage adjustments, and 2 panel replacements later, I should be getting my ( some of ) money back.

Do a search for "dancing green" and see what you get.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblack1134 /forum/post/18121621

However: I've noticed some possible artificat, which I'm not sure if it's normal. Here's my test scenario: I switch to an hdmi input that has nothing to get a 100% black screen, I hit the menu button, I look at the darker shades of the menu buttons and if I get real close to the TV, say 1 feet, I can see really fast sparkling reddish/greeninsh dots in those areas. You really can't see it past 3-4 feet of viewing distance, but it sortof looks like the panel is having a hard time driving dark/subtle colors. It only happens in dark areas. It also happens playing normal 1080p content in darker areas either with my wdtv, or with 1080i ota hd signals.

I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that all plasma screens display some sort of added noise at very close distances, and the Samsung's actually less so than most brands. It's just the nature of the technology, and I know that if I sat one foot away from my B650 I'd see dancing pixels as well. Since nobody sits one foot away from their 50" screen, I'd call it a non-issue.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 /forum/post/18121742

I'm not sure that it's the same problem, but on my old FT-P5084 Samsung, I suffered the dreaded "Dancing Green Pixels" or whatever they called it.

A power supply, 3 boards, 2 attempts at voltage adjustments, and 2 panel replacements later, I should be getting my ( some of ) money back.

Do a search for "dancing green" and see what you get.

Good Luck.

Yeah, that was pretty much how mine was, as you know.

BTW motoracer, I got my 860 delivered yesterday. The TV's styling is amazing, and the picture is just incredible. It's easily 2 times better than the 5084's PQ was. Everything is just so razor sharp, and vibrant.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBat /forum/post/18122375

Yeah, that was pretty much how mine was, as you know.

BTW motoracer, I got my 860 delivered yesterday. The TV's styling is amazing, and the picture is just incredible. It's easily 2 times better than the 5084's PQ was. Everything is just so razor sharp, and vibrant.

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear that you are happy with the new tv. I might give Samsung another chance, as we all know the issues facing Panasonic.

What are my other options? Vizio, Sony, Sharp, etc?

ETA: Any buzzing, and out of curiosity, what altitude are you at?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer /forum/post/18122022

I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that all plasma screens display some sort of added noise at very close distances, and the Samsung's actually less so than most brands. It's just the nature of the technology, and I know that if I sat one foot away from my B650 I'd see dancing pixels as well. Since nobody sits one foot away from their 50" screen, I'd call it a non-issue.

Ok, went to the store; exact same thing on virtually all brands of plasma.

It really is a non-issue since as you said it's only visible at 1-2 feet length.

Overall really satisfied with the TV.

Has anyone either got some good settings and/or way to configure the 50b650 to push the blacks as deep as possible while still keeping the colors true? (I wouldn't mind them being a tad darker, I have the panel in my dim basement).

Is it any worth looking on how to access the service menu or should I just stick with the standard menu calibrations?

I've found a few settings here in the forums... I'll give them a shot with some bd rips; but was just wondering if anyone had found calibrations for a darkest ambiance.

Thanks very much all

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 /forum/post/18122613

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear that you are happy with the new tv. I might give Samsung another chance, as we all know the issues facing Panasonic.

What are my other options? Vizio, Sony, Sharp, etc?

ETA: Any buzzing, and out of curiosity, what altitude are you at?

No buzzing at all, which is awesome. My 58B550 buzzes like a mofo, so I was kind of scared to get a buzzing 860, but thankfully there is none....

I live in Fargo, ND which is as close to sea level as you can get, so altitude is not a problem in my instance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's interesting. When I brought this up I was told it was simply the nature of plasma displays. A little close-up examination in stores seemed to bear this out. I don't see why this would be different between Samsungs, unless it's a per-panel variation thing. Either way, it's true that you can't see the individual dots from a normal distance.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjps /forum/post/18123221

That's interesting. When I brought this up I was told it was simply the nature of plasma displays. A little close-up examination in stores seemed to bear this out. I don't see why this would be different between Samsungs, unless it's a per-panel variation thing. Either way, it's true that you can't see the individual dots from a normal distance.

I think you are slightly confused.... The DGP issue that me and motoracer are talking about isn't just slight dithering, which is common on plasmas, but instead it is full-blown sparkles all over the screen, visible from 20 feet. It's only Samsung's that I've ever seen, or heard of this problem....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well that certainly seems like something they should have taken care of immediately. I was just referring to exactly the kind of dots the OP was talking about, and which Citivas suggested he doesn't see unless in Cinema Smooth. I believe that is the normal dithering?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Without a picture I can't say if it is normal or not, but from my experience if you are getting green pixels flashing all over the screen then your brightness is too high. Try lowering it until they disappear from the black bars of a movie, for example.

Dancing pixels are common with all plasmas, though, as it's the nature of the technology.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had my B650 for about 3 days now. I can sit in my living room, late at night with no other noise in the room, and hear no buzz at all. I have to turn the sound up halfway before I can start hearing any buzz, and that's from the speakers. The only time I can hear a faint buzz is if I put my head behind the set, but that's to be expected of course.

Absolutely no buzz problems for me.

(build date Jan. '10)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.