AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this TV yesterday and like it except for a few issues. Hopefully you guys here can give me some advice on the best way to try and get them resolved. I'm unsure if I would be better off exchanging this set for another or just getting the one I have serviced. I don't want to go to the trouble of exchanging it and get one that's not any better off, nor do I want to take it in to get serviced and find out they can't fix it. And If I try to get it serviced, would these things be covered by Samsung's warranty, or should I shell out for CircuitCity's extended one?

1.There is some horizontal bowing that's not too bad but noticeable when watching things in letterbox. The sides are thicker than the middle, causing gradual dips inward on both the top and bottom. Anybody have an idea of the likelyhood of this being fixable by professional servicing?

2.The top right corner bows in vertically when that area is displaying white. The more intense the white, the more it bows in. Again, would this likely be fixable by professional servicing?

3.In a dark scene with little contrasting (for example empty starfields in Star Wars) vertical bands are visible. They seem to be an inconsistancy in the level of blackness, there are about 5 of them, and the very thick one on the left edge of the screen has a pinkish tint to it. Once more, could this possibly be resolved through a professional servicing?

4.The convergence is off by a tad, from what I know this can and has to be resolved through professional servicing, is that correct?

5.This one I might just have to live with. The video mode button on the remote only seems to cycle through the 3 composite inputs and the s_video. To display the comonent inputs I have to enter the setup menu and manually select them. This is a lot of button strokes to get to the things I use the most, but I don't see another way to do it. Is this just the way this model is or am I missing a quicker way?

Any advice on any of these things would be greatly appreciated. Why is it that every TV I've ever bought has pretty obvious issues like this straight out of the box? Maybe I'm trying to hold them to too high a standard, but it seems like these things are calibrated by blind people before they're shipped out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
>5.This one I might just have to live with. The video mode button on the remote >only seems to cycle through the 3 composite inputs and the s_video. To display >the comonent inputs I have to enter the setup menu and manually select >them. This is a lot of button strokes to get to the things I use the most, but I >don't see another way to do it. Is this just the way this model is or am I >missing a quicker way?

On the remote for my TX-P3071H, there are two buttons: one is labled "TV/COMP" and one is labled "Mode." The "Mode" button functions just like you described -- cycling the TV through composite and svideo inputs. However, the "TV/COMP" button allows me to cycle through TV --> Component 1 --> Component 2 --> DVI inputs. Do you have the "TV/COMP" button on your remote?

It is beyond me as to why Samsung did not use 1 button to cycle through all the input modes. It makes it a pain in the butt to use any non-learning Universal Remote controls as they would usually have a button that is equivalent to the "Mode" button but nothing works in place of the "TV/COMP" button.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I found the button under the sliding panel on the remote that will bring up the component video directly. I don't remember what it's labeled as exactly, something other than mode I think, I had just never bothered to look under the panel. I also wish one button would cycle them all, and being able to edit ones you don't use out of the cycle would be nice as well. I'm not sure how this is going to help when I finally get my universal remote programmed, the learning memory is already filled up, is there somewhere that would have the brand and individual button codes listed? I am really liking this TV aside from the problems I mentioned, I think I'll just try exchanging it this weekend since no one here seems to have any input on the other problems.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update if anyone cares. I exchanged the TV and the new one is much better. I think the first one must have been a Friday TV, so far this one seems to be in much better shape all around. Convergence is spot on, geometry is much better, and no weird tints anywhere I can tell. There is an extremely faint vertical line in the middle of the screen a couple of inches thick that isn't as black as the rest of the screen, but like I said it's very faint so it's tolerable. And the top of the image has a slight horizontal bow inward, but it's no worse than the previous one and the bottom is much straighter. I have an HTPC hooked up to it, so that makes me pretty anal about the picture quality since it can make any flaw quite noticeable, and I am quite content with this TV right out of the box. After spending a week with the first TV and now seeing this one improve on the issues I had with the prior one I have to say IMO this is one fine TV for the money. Maybe it's because I am coming from a not-too high a quality Panasonic TV bought 4 years ago, but I'm amazed how things look on it. It's a giant leap over what I had previously, my DVD player, HTPC, and Gamecube all look great, and I can't imagine getting a better TV for the money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.