Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having DTV installed this weekend and would like to know something:

I am in a brand new townhouse that was pre-wired for cable TV, can the DTV installer use these lines to come into my house? Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you cant tell from your wiring then take a walk down to one of the homes still under construction. Its kind of hit and miss with new homes...

·
Registered
53 Posts
It will also depend on how the cable is run. Hopefully you have separate runs starting from a splitter outside that run directly to each inside location. You can't easily split satellite like you do cable.

·
Registered
681 Posts
For the Dish Network receiver in our bedroom, I've got 100 feet of RG-6 going from the dish mounted on the patio cover to the cable TV junction box, and then another 50 feet of RG-59 in the walls of the house, and another 50 feet of RG-59 from the wall to the TV. We've never had a problem with the signal or switch operation, even though we're way over the recommended limits and not using the best available cable.

It's safer to go with RG-6, but if you already have RG-59 in your walls and can't easily pull RG-6, you'll probably find that what you've got will work perfectly fine, as long as there are no splitters inside the walls. People that claim DBS systems will not work with RG-59 are usually not speaking from actual experience, but just repeating what they heard from another misinformed person.

-Jonathan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.