Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me throw something out here for the group to comment on:

Knowing what we now know about these units, would it be possible to attain perfect playback and reliability at the HT level by adding a Mits DVHS machine to my rack in order to watch all the HBO/Showtime stuff that was recorded on a Panasonic and exhibits audio dropouts? Then, use the already owned and still working JVC strictly for D-Theater, recording and those archive tapes that had no dropouts since they consisted of material originally recorded on a JVC.

Since, I'm hearing the Mits can be had for less than $500, wouldn't this be the way to go to get around all these problems? It would mitigate usage of the JVC thereby stalling the failure process and would restore those archive tapes plagued by dropouts since the Mits' MPEG decoder would be used instead of the problematical JVC. It would introduce two decks in the home for duping..it looks like a sure winner to me unless I have overlooked something.

Is there any difference with the PQ between a Mits and a JVC?

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
>> Is there any difference with the PQ between a Mits and a JVC?

The Mits has no built in MPEG2 decoder so it all depends on what decoder you use at the end of your IEEE1394 datastream.

In any case, the digital data is the same and all the HD decoders are very similar so PQ differences would be very minimal.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PVR
>> Is there any difference with the PQ between a Mits and a JVC?

The Mits has no built in MPEG2 decoder so it all depends on what decoder you use at the end of your IEEE1394 datastream.

In any case, the digital data is the same and all the HD decoders are very similar so PQ differences would be very minimal.
I don't follow. How does the Mits playback 1080i HD in a DVHS format if it does not have a decoder? You mean the deck is strictly a tape transport and that you have to go out and purchase a decoder to see the content on a display???? Who would buy into that other than a Mits tv owner?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
"You mean the deck is strictly a tape transport and that you have to go out and purchase a decoder to see the content on a display????"

I keep tellin' ya. You already have a decoder that is superior to the JVC, as well as a high quality 1080i to 1080p24 scaler. Just buy a $10.00 firewire card and plug it in.

The Mits/JVC combo as you have proposed is exactly what I do. Just use the JVC for Dtheater and dubbing.

Joe

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Joe, so I assume you are driving the data to an HTPC? What cards and s/w are in the machine? So you can take the firewire stream off the dvhs tape and use in real time?

Dave

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jamoka
"You mean the deck is strictly a tape transport and that you have to go out and purchase a decoder to see the content on a display????"

I keep tellin' ya. You already have a decoder that is superior to the JVC, as well as a high quality 1080i to 1080p24 scaler. Just buy a $10.00 firewire card and plug it in.

The Mits/JVC combo as you have proposed is exactly what I do. Just use the JVC for Dtheater and dubbing.

Joe
Well, I think you over rate my HTPC somewhat. This is exactly what I have:

P III 733 Mhz processor

Windows 98 SE

MP modified Radeon 64 MB DDR

Powerstrip

TT 1.5

Now, I can see buying a firewire input card to receive the 1080 i data and I can see setting Powerstrip to 1080p, but I don't understand how the datastream gets processed nor do I think it's that simple. maybe for you it is, but I doubt it is for me. I do not want to get involved with graph edits, zoom player like part and parcels etc. I want as close to plug and play as possible. At the same time, I don't need the computer to spit out 1080p processing. I'd be content with a 1080i pass thru -- is that simpler and doable?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
So you can take the firewire stream off the dvhs tape and use in real time?

Dave
Sorry to butt in, but yup. Check out the newest DVHSTool beta release. Live PC based D-VHS playback without MPEG-2 decoding hardware.

--Rick

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Rick, I knew there was something out there. Whats the minimum in H/W needs? I thought you needed a pretty fast process? I have a dual 1 GIG xp system now

Can you connect your Video card RGB output right to my front projectors RGB input? I also want to play DVD's on something than what I am doing now. Could I also pump my DVD out this way? Maybe I need to get some of these tools in my PC instead of buying special boxes for all this stuff.

dave

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Your right. You would need a faster CPU and WinXP to do it. I shouldn't have taken that for granted. It probably sounds like a lot of work, but a CPU/Motherboard/OS/Firewire Card upgrade would not be difficult and the cost would be ~250.00. Setting up the software is easy and only needs to be done once. I haven't tried Rick's new version, but it sounds close to plug-and-play.

1080i would actually be harder than 1080p, but you would probably prefer 1080p with a 9" PJ anyway.

Joe

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
So, whats the minimum CPU folks are using? CPU and MB for 250.

Guess that must not be an Intel CPU since seems about thats what they go for.

I only have 7 inch FP. Cant afford a nice one.

dave

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Dave,

I'm using a P4 2.53G machine with a Radeon 7500 at 1280x1024. The playback for the most part is smooth.

I have also tested on a 1.6G O/C'd to 2.1G and playback is smooth as well and I have tested on a 1.2G Celeron and that is not enough cpu to make playback watchable.

--Rick

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
MikeM-

You've been around the block enough to know that there is no such thing as a simple solution to a complex problem. You mention several issues. So, let me tackle them one at a time-

1. Prerecorded DVHS tapes of movies you have obtained from others that have audio dropouts.-

answer- I'm going to suggest that your tapes are fine and your VCR is playing them fine now, but your decoder for AC-3 audio may not be in compliance with the encoded dolby audio on that tape. This is an old problem we early adopters to DVHS resolved almost 4 years ago now thanks to the help from the engineers at Dolby. The problem is in a not fully implemented AC-3 spec by many high end and low end audio manufacturers for Dolby digital. Only certain combinations of equipment will properly decode the AC-3 audio that was recorded using the Panasonic system. The lowest cost solution to fix this problem is when you play your DVHS tapes, connect the AC-3 audio from your optical output to a Techniques decoder SHAC500 which is in complaince with the Dolby standard. I also believe that some Yamaha receivers were in compliance but many receivers including very high end ones were not. I have Denon 5700 here and it was not and I understand the new 5800 was also not in complaince.

2. The Mitsubishi DVHS only outputs 1394 for it's HDTV output. Therefore you will need a 1394 input capable decoder such as a 169Time modded receiver, the new Samsung tuner, or the Mitsubishi TV that the VCR was originally designed to compliment. I have tested the Mits HDTV with the VCR and it is very well matched for operational ease but outside that environment, it is a crap shoot to get it to work. I use the 169Time HDVR board and it has a few quirky issues too. You MUST tune the DTC-100 to a non mapped ATSC station wioth 1080i signal to even get the Mits or any DVHS VCR to work. The Panasonic DST50 tuner will not see the Mitsubishi so forget about that one. I have not tested it with the Samsung but I understand it does work. YOYO.

3. I have yet to see any DVHS VCR system that is trouble free except for the complicated Panny system with the Techniques audio decoder added. MIne is completely trouble free. all my other stuff is not.

4. Dubbing- Dubbing with two MIts DVHS VCR's is very easy and straight forward. It even shows you how to do it in the M

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Couldn't you use the JVC's decoder as well? Just connect the Mits to the JVC via Firewire and connect the display to the JVC's component outputs. That way you're using the JVC's decoder but not its tape transport, which is what I think you want to avoid. Is it, Mike?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don:

Thanks for the very informative reply. You have a PM

Vic:

Actually, I want a dropout free playback system and a backup player so I figure another tape player is the answer. Playing back tapes using a Mits or Pannny into a JVC will still present audio drops on those archive tapes recorded from a Panny combo.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
It wasn't mentioned in this topic, but with a 169time modded DTC100

you can take the Mits D-VHS 1394 output, and view HD through the

outputs on the DTC100.

--

I have DVHStool 1080p working fine on a 1.8Ghz P4,

but is a "faster" machine than the CPU by itself suggests...

Rambus Memory, 512KB CPU cache (many 1.8Ghz P4 only have 256K),

and a Nvidia Quadro4 very fast VGA card.

The speed of the memory on the VGA card is a very important factor

in being able to get full framerate 1080p...

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
Couldn't you use the JVC's decoder as well? Just connect the Mits to the JVC via Firewire and connect the display to the JVC's component outputs.
That works just fine. I tested it out when I had a Mitsubishi for a short time. No problems.

But some report problems playing back tapes due to incompatibilitis. It's a crap shoot.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Folks are reporting dropout free playback using the Samsung SIR-T165 STB.

I plan to test it soon in my system...

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Matt-

If that works as you say it does, sounds to me like that is the solution for Mike. I won't have a JVC here, too may problems that users are reporting. I'll do without the problems and give up on D Theater for now.

While some have reported tape issues with the Mits, I have noticed none and find that anything recorded on my MItsubishi plays in the Panasonic and vice versa. Once I had a tape that would not record on the Panasonic but after recording it in the Mits, it played fine in the Panasonic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.