AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to install a wider motorized screen in my system. I have been using an M1300 Draper Premier 52"x79 "with tab tensioning. My cabinetry will not fit a wider screen in the standard size of 52"x92" in the Premier tab tensioned line, forcing me to order a custom size of 50.5"x90" and pay a premium. If I went non-tensioned, I could easily fit the wider standard size. Since I have only ever used tab tensioned, I don't know how important it is or what I would lose by doing this. Also, shoud I stick with M1300 or is the M2500 worth considering?

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
You will get some rippling in the screen. HOw much will literally depend on the screen. It will be noticable when the lights are up, not so noticable when the image is projected on the screen. My 6 X 8 Luma II screen shows the rippliing in the image, but I've gotten used to it. I'm about to replace it with a fixed frame screen though.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Not sure what your budget is, but you could always go out and buy a cheap manual pull down and see if the waves bother you because it really does depend on the viewer.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
None-tensioned=ripple

Stick with M1300 cause I have heard M2500 is POJ due sparklies and pattern that shows up with bright scenes.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Either fixed frame or tab tensioning are the only way to go.

You could go fixed frame with a motorized curtain to cover it, if you want the cool factor and the best screen. The motorized curtain could serve dual purpose as a masking system too. That's my next plan for my torus anyway but not an off the shelf thing.

Troy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi:

I am using a 120" (diagonal) 4:3 motorized screen with no tensioning. The edges curl a bit but it does not have any effect on pic quality. This may be due in part to the fact that I set up and converged to the "ripples" in the screen.

"Ripples" is not a good description. There may be a bit of waving in the screen, but as I mentioned, the worst is at the edges.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I have had several non tab tesioned screens and they all ripple to some degree. The amount of ripple is dependent on at least two things.

1) Screen material. For example. My Da-Lite 120" 4/3 AR 1.5 gain screen has virtually no ripple after over 2 years of use. Every Da-Lite Matt white screeen (1 gain) I have had has exhibited bad rippling within a few months of installation. The 1.5 gain material seems a bit heavier and perhaps makes it more resistant to ripple.

2) Installation. THE SCREEN MUST BE PERFECTLY LEVEL. This is very important and if you are setting up a CRT PJ then you should do this as a matter of course anyhow but I figured I'd mention it. Because of the weight of the bar at the bottom of the screen any out of level installation will apply uneven pressure and viola instant wrinkles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.