AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am back at my dedicated theater build. Trying to get it finished before the year ends. I build my own screen with blackout and wood the first time around. I am changing my stage from my original design. This will let me go from a 92" screen to 110" diagonal. I will build the screen again but this time using actual theater screen material.

After building my last screen and wrapping on wood frame I had another idea. Sew in a loop at top of the material and hang with a wood dow or maybe metal. Then do the same at the bottom with a metal rod to keep the material taunt. I would still have a black border around the screen. Can anyone see any major issues with hanging a screen this way? Maybe the left and right edges wouldn't be as taunt as stretching on a frame?

Has anyone tried it before? Just wondering.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know this doesn't answer your question, but have you considered one of the WilsonArt laminate screens? For the money it works pretty well - you may not need real 'screen material' unless you're doing an AT setup with speakers behind the screen.

I switched to a laminate screen from blackout cloth and was pretty happy with it considering it only cost me $100 or so plus some lumber.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Actually yeah. I did the exact same thing, or something similar.

Here is how I went around it.

- First off I have a 16:9 100" screen.

- Since I knew that 100" is what I was going for I built a wooden frame that basically gave me a 100" on the inside of the frame.

- The wood I used was basically 3"x2" all round.

- Before I pieced the frame together I wrapped it in black velvet.

- Now the screen, i used BOC but light grey or something like that. I basically made a loop on all sides of the fabric and had it quad stitched. In the looped part I had holes made and stitched lined at an interval of say every 7". Obviously, you have to make this folded combo smaller than your frame as the fabric will stretch.

- Now the tricky part, I got those railings that curtains are attached to and screwed them onto my frame. Then Had small metal strips that could fit into the grroves of the rail and come outward like a hook. These metal strips could move in either direction so you can align them to your holes on the fabric.

- The rest is easy, pass a thin metal rod through the looped part of your fabric, then hook the fabric onto the metal strips. Making sure that the rods are always between the metal strips and the edge of your screen.

- The rods keeps the fabric straight on all sides.

Screen done.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,118 Posts
You would have to have some pretty good sewing skills to sew nice straight pockets. I don't see any advantage of your proposed method over just stapling the fabric to a sturdy wood frame. You could also use the screen tite channels as an alternative.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Here is an idea, you may have side and bottom frame fixed and top frame floating by using two sliding tracks attached to side frames and the ends of top frame and then use couple of shower curtain tension rods to stretch screen taunt, I think this is pretty simple to do.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Check out my build thread. I made a screen with 80/20 aluminum and material from Seymour. I also made a velvet frame to surround it.

Brian

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. Great ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.