AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JUST got SELECO 300,with firmware 206(recently 206 was released, allows for direct access to the various aspect ratio;s).I have been using the HITACHI 5500, and have been very happy with it(still am)however the SELECO, does some things, that i have not seen a digital projector do before(also have owned the SHARP 9000 DLP)and it is overall, very smilar to a high quality crt in its performance. FIRST thing that struck me was the clarity, focus, and resolution. ALMOST, unbelievable,,,very, very ,focused, and clear. When i first started looking at it, the on screen menus were very de focused, however the picture was at least as focused,and clear as my HITACHI. I at first thought the SELECO must be defective in some way, after all,how could the actual picture be clear, yet the on screen menus be totally de focused? Well i than tried the power focus feature( very nice, by the way), and to my astonishment, the on screen menu's snapped into perfect focus, and the actual projected picture got even clearer!THE only other time i have seen as clear, and focused a picture was at the past CES, in the ADVANCED IMAGING/QUINTESSENCE ACOUSTICS ROOM, where a 9", 75k, MSRP, CRT, was being used.

THE next area that really impressed me was the color performance.I have not seen such color rendition from any digital projector before.Really beautifull reds,and greens, and very good blues. THE HITACHI 5500 looks a little flat,and de-saturated by comparison. Even the brightness looked quite good, however i am using a very high gain (2.8 da lite)screen, so i am sure blacks and contrast could be improved, however the blacks and contrasts i am getting are very close to some of the previous crt's i have used( dwin 700, and two zenith;s(pro 900 and 1200). I will report more, as i get a chance to put in some more time with it.So far though, one very special (and beautifully made) projector.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using a 16/9 84"x 47", however, cant get quite far enough back, so am projecting a 82 x 45.5" image, and am using a pioneer 37a dvd player. I have had one glitch, so far, and that is when i tried to run a rgbhv signal into the rgb(graphics input) the picture looks very dark and when i try and adjust for it, the picture seems to be changing from dark to light, as if the gamma curve is constantly changing, the component input has no such problem.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Thx for the post and your thoughts on the Seleco.

I wonder how long it will take for a Marantz person to pop into this thread and say their projector is better !?!

:D

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
The power focus is sooo important to me. I have my projector mounted behind the rear wall and I can't imagine having to run back and forth to focus a projector with manual focus.

With the Seleco you just walk up to the screen and use the remote to zero in absolutely perfect focus...Sweet!

Congrats on your new projector :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
I wonder how long it will take for a Marantz person to pop into this thread and say their projector is better !?!
Be nice, Cain... :) Just kidding with you, I know you're also just having some fun!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi MRJAZZZ,

Your impressions are very similar to mine. Perhaps because Sim2/Seleco make CRT's they are aware of what is needed to produce that near CRT look to a digital projector. I also think their use of red, which is stunning in my view, helps this effect.

Best Wishes,

Paul H

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.