AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a HT newbie and am in the process of setting up a new, separate HT sound system in the same living room but a separate system from my existing 2 channel stereo (existing system has tube pre-amp, bi-power amp, somewhat bulky speakers, etc.). my new tv is the 60xbr800, and due to the existing 2 channel speakers, i do not wish that the new HT sound system's speakers be overly bulky: 6 speakers (incl subwoofer) plus my existing 2 speakers is a bit much for any living room. i intend to only use this new system for tv and radio listening only, since i have my existing 2 channel stereo for all CD listening.

my initial thoughts are: a simple, high quality, run of the mill receiver like the denon 3803, no nonsense, does the trick. speakers may be either B&W, PSB, NHT, or Paradigm, with either their own subwoofer, or, an SVS, Hsu, or Velodyne.

B&W would likely be: 601S3 for front L and R, LCR 60S3 (the 600S3 is too high for the silly Sony stand for my 60xbr800, which only allows 7 1/4 inches of height) for the front center, and the 600S3 for the rear L and R. i was informed that the front center does 70% of the "work" in any home theater application, and that i should consider the LCR 600S3. is there much truth in that? wouldn't the LCR 60S3, while smaller, be more than adequate? while i'm a fussy good sound lover, i've never owned a tv sound system so anything would be fantastic compared with the tv's own speakers, but then again, this upgrade should be satisfying, and not a regret after a few weeks due to my sensitivity to good sound.

Heard the PSB image 2B demo'ed in a poor environment. sounds fairly good.

i was told that if you selected the "small speaker" mode in these receivers, the speakers have a 80 HZ cut off. so i was thinking, why do i even need a pair of 601S3 for the front? maybe the 600S3 would do! the differences between small, bookshelf-type monitor speakers are usually 5-10 extra hertz at the bottom, and in this application, anything under 80 HZ would be cut off. also, i'm concerned about the MATCHING of subwoofers that are not made by the same speaker company, i.e. using an SVS sub or Hsu or Velodyne Sub instead of B&W's own sub. how do you set the sub up if the receiver cuts all frequencies below 80 HZ off?

i'm confused.

also, all those symbols on the receivers, DTS, neo, dolby 5.1, thx... which ones are important? i do NOT intend to buy DVDs (rent only), and i do NOT intend to have more than the 6 new speakers in my living room (5 speakers plus the sub) since my living room already has my main stereo in it. any more than this would be totally ridiculous.

my direct email is: [email protected]

any assistance would be much appreciated

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i was told that almost all rented DVDs are only 5.1. if i don't intend to buy many DVDs, they say, 5.1 is sufficient. any truth to that?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
That probably depends on where you rent them from. I only go to a locally owned place that has the best DVD selection I've ever seen. The nice thing is that they just go out and buy most of them in stores and almost always they will get the special editions of the titles.

Of course, they were also the only vid store I'd EVER seen that consistently stocked widescreen VHS releases "back in the old days." :) If there was a FOX THX version, they would always have it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.