AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am totally new at building a HTPC or a server and just need a few questions answered. I basically just want to build a server that streams music and blu rays to a htpc. Do people typically first rip the music/movies using the htpc and then store the files on the server? Or do some people use the server for ripping the files?

·
Registered
218 Posts
depents what kind of server you got and what it can do.

for the time beeing i don't have a server yet.

so i let my HTPC manage the downloading/remuxing/ripping.

when i finally decide what to get (will be windows based) i will let my server handle it.

so i my htpc will be used for viewing only.

will use RDP todo stuff on my server.

so it all depents what kind of server OS you're going to use and what it can hande and what you prefer todo.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just finished to build my file server...

I used two Silverstone LC-13B-E HTPC cabinet. The first for HTPC, last one for the file server.

HTPC, is W7 x64 based. File server, is ubuntu server amd64 edition based, because ubuntu has a better file system (I used ext4) and totally free.

Everything is fine and the transfer rate is fast (over 90Mb/s real!)

At the moment in my file server there are 4 x 2TB WD20EARS HDD, next week I'll plug in others 4 x 2TB WD20EARS HDD (totally 16 TB) now, I'm waiting for PCI-SATA II 4 port contoller linux compliant.

bye

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinorho /forum/post/20879621

Just finished to build my file server...

I used two Silverstone LC-13B-E HTPC cabinet. The first for HTPC, last one for the file server.

HTPC, is W7 x64 based. File server, is ubuntu server amd64 edition based, because ubuntu has a better file system (I used ext4) and totally free.

Everything is fine and the transfer rate is fast (over 90Mb/s real!)

At the moment in my file server there are 4 x 2TB WD20EARS HDD, next week I'll plug in others 4 x 2TB WD20EARS HDD (totally 16 TB) now, I'm waiting for PCI-SATA II 4 port contoller linux compliant.

bye

90Mb is very good, I am getting about the same using a Lynksis 802.11N router and adapter on the other end.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
My server is in the cold, dark, spider-filled basement so I typical rip from a client and store on the server.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/20879852

90Mb is very good, I am getting about the same using a Lynksis 802.11N router and adapter on the other end.

I've got a simple 8 port switch Gigabit (about 20) connect to:

- HTPC ethernet port on board (ASROCK X58 Extreme 3)

- File Server Gigabit PCI-Ethernet Card (about 10)

- ADSL wi-fi router

bye

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, thank you so much for the replies. Im still trying to map everything out and decide what I want to do. Its nice to hear what other people are doing. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, Im thinking about just using the beginners guide to building a htpc sticky from the top of the site to help me build the htpc. Im going to go with what the author has as "his pick of htpc," it is as follows:

CPU: Core i3-550

CPU Cooler: stock cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-h55m-usb3

Memory: G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM Ripjaws x 2GB

Graphics Card: (AMD)Sapphire 100287VGAL(VGA)

HDD: Samsung spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

PSU: Seasonic S12II-430 Bronze

Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black

and then i guess i will need an optical disc drive to rip blu rays.

My question is does this look good to those of you that have htpcs? I dont want to watch tv on it, just stream music and ripped blurays. This will be able to be networked to a home serve with no problem right? I would want to do it as a gigabit network. Thanks for the help!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.