AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have in place a proposed parts list for my media server to go along with the HTPC to store all my music, videos and pictures (when I have them).

Here's what I have so far (on Newegg):

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASRock 880GM-LE AM3 AMD 880G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply

Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory

AMD Sempron 145 Sargas 2.8GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Desktop Processor

Total Cost thusfar: $196

(Does not include the hard drives)

I haven't included the hard drives because I will have to wait until next week to order those, but I would like to get possibly the green drives. I will be fine using 5400RPM drives since I don't need a high end power house server (that's what corporate systems are for). This server will be on 24/7 so low power consumption is ideal.

As for OS, though I have been debating on whether to use WHS, I have been seriously considering using unRAID since its a popular option. Also having read some of the past threads on unRAID it seems like a good viable option. I will start out with 3 drives since my collection isn't that large at this time, but have plans to expand in the future. I do like the WHS feature of backing up the clients, but if there is a way to do it with unRAID I would look into that too.

I also would like to know if its possible to use, say JRiver's Media Center server function to call and stream music from the server. My HTPC will be the front end for all the software which has Win7 64 installed.

The HTPC that I currently have my media on I will transfer to the server once built so it should be a simple matter of pointing the directories in MediaBrowser and other programs to the server. Then that will free the space for just a DVR drive for WMC.

I would appreciate any thoughts or perhaps any adjustments to the parts list before I begin ordering. I have some spare SATA drives in the meantime I can use to test the unRAID server once built until I order some new hard drives for production use. I may also consider using the server to store video editing files once I build my future AV workstation.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
One disadvantage to using unraid is you can't also use the computer for streaming media or music, but instead have to have a second computer on to pull from unRAID. While you can wake a computer remotely with a WoL, it can be a pain. Using WHS or even just Win7 would allow you to multi-purpose the server and not be limited to just a NAS.

For data redundancy, you can look at something like FlexRAID. For backing up with UnRAID or Win7, you would just look at 3rd party backup tools and point them to the network share. I use a free program called synkron. I use Remote Potato for streaming of movies/TV recording/music from 7MC, which also works with IPad/Iphone and Android - another advantage to using Win7 as your server.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
For (much) lower power consumption, I'd go with a Sandy Bridge Pentium (G620) or waiting for the new 35W Pentium (or Celeron) and a LGA1155 motherboard with enough SATA ports instead.

I know I am waiting for the G530T. "The Pentium G530T is not only a 35W TDP part, but the dual-core 2GHz Pentium will be the lowest priced Sandy Bridge yet at $47".

More here: http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/2...ktop_CPUs.html

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would recommend a dual core processor, especially if you use WHS. AMD is definitely cost-effective. Even their 65W parts idle pretty low. It's only at load when they draw substantially more power. Google some reviews for power comparisons.

2GB of RAM, minimum, IMHO.

If you are not stuck on AMD, Xbitlabs.com just did a great review of the low power Intel processors, which you might find interesting.

I think WHS is great. Currently using ver 1 and planning an upgrade to ver 2. I am not using RAID - just the WHS duplication feature, which is functionally similar to RAID 1.

You could also consider the free linux alternative to WHS called "Amahi". It might be worth tinkering with it since it is free.

SilentPCREview.com just did a review of the Hitachi 2TB drives, that you may also find interesting.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF /forum/post/20872862

I would recommend a dual core processor, especially if you use WHS. AMD is definitely cost-effective. Even their 65W parts idle pretty low. It's only at load when they draw substantially more power. Google some reviews for power comparisons.

2GB of RAM, minimum, IMHO.

If you are not stuck on AMD, Xbitlabs.com just did a great review of the low power Intel processors, which you might find interesting.

I think WHS is great. Currently using ver 1 and planning an upgrade to ver 2. I am not using RAID - just the WHS duplication feature, which is functionally similar to RAID 1.

You could also consider the free linux alternative to WHS called "Amahi". It might be worth tinkering with it since it is free.

SilentPCREview.com just did a review of the Hitachi 2TB drives, that you may also find interesting.

Not against Intel processors at all, as all of my past PC's I have built were Intel based systems. This server is the first build ever using AMD components since all it will be doing is storing and serving media.

I've used the WHS v1 trial and it does work great, obviously as its still $99. Besides unRAID I am looking into FlexRaid to perhaps run along with Win7. Probably may consider a 3rd Party solution for automatic backups of the two client computers.

Yeah I had bought the Hitachi 1TB drive for my HTPC build--the first drive was DOA to which I wasn't pleased. Fortunately the replacement worked as it should.

RAM is cheap, no biggie in adding more if needed.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion /forum/post/0

For (much) lower power consumption, I'd go with a Sandy Bridge Pentium (G620) or waiting for the new 35W Pentium (or Celeron) and a LGA1155 motherboard with enough SATA ports instead.

I know I am waiting for the G530T. "The Pentium G530T is not only a 35W TDP part, but the dual-core 2GHz Pentium will be the lowest priced Sandy Bridge yet at $47".

More here: http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/2...ktop_CPUs.html

Any word on whether celerons will have the same graphics as the Pentium chips? I'm thinking SB can handle HTPC at 2.0ghz with no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.