AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all sorry if this was answered before. I just ran out of space on my media server.

I need to install a new drive, which is easy. but out of Hard Drive Bays

What I need is suggestions on a new Server Case, not opposed to rack mounts or towers. I have 8 drives now, which includes the drive running my OS (unbutu Server)

Also if any of you could suggest new motherboards one with lots of Sata drive connectors. (preferable amd)

also is it easier to buy a rack mount computer for the os and get rack mount hdd case?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

This really Depends on your budget and your requirements and personal preference. That said things to consider would be:

How many drive bays do you want

Do you want / Need Hot Swap as an option

Do you want a Single Power Supply or Redundancy

Rackmount is usually more expensive and doesn't really offer much else other than ability to rack them.

For a true "Server" Case check out the SuperMicro Line. They are NOT cheap but they are very high quality and worth it for their cooling and reliability. They have both Tower and Rack Mount options. I have one that has been running for well over 10 years without even a single fan failure.

If you want to go less expensive you can look at ones from Cooler Master which is just a regular tower system that you can install many drives in. Go to NewEgg.com and use their filters to search for what you are looking for bays wise. In some cases you can even make a regular case hotswap with the addition of Drive Cages, Again I suggest SuperMicro, they are a little more pricey but they offer good cooling and temp alarms.

As for motherboards, again very subjective, I used to be all over AMD and have since gone back to Intel but which have proven to be much, much faster and way more stable for my use. Either way check out the Gigabyte Motherboards, they are very reliable and robust BIOS's that have many features and if you are an over-clocker you have lots of options there as well.

Finding a motherboard with more than say 6 or 8 SATA Ports can be difficult so you might want to look in to some kind of an add on card if you want additional ports.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks you it does help. I have a supermicro case now. but mid tower size. has 5 sata drive, and one ide (ide hold the os)

just out of space on the drives and the case, so i figure time for an upgrade.

But last night i figured it out. I'll go with the Norco 4U 20 bay rack mount. and start building up a rack server.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts