AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just got a NAD m3 dual mono integrated amp and B&W CM10 speakers. Mainly used for vinyl.

I have an older Harmon Kardon AVR to do surround and I have some gaps to fill.

I am looking into DAC options and have seen some appealing universal players that may bypass the need for 2 units. Oppo 105d, Cambridge 752, marantz 707.

I want to stream audio and video from my computer (iMac), as well as project from an epson 5030 . I also want to use head phones and notice the oppo is the one that supports this, but I am willing to get an external headphone amp if need be.

Does anyone have oppo 105D modifications? what company? feedback? 

This is a very attractive option.

I do not have speaker cables yet and saw these at a good price… cardas golden cross 2 meter w/ spades. Thoughts?

Any opinions welcome and other suggestions you can think of to make my life sound better.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have two 105Ds-one for the theater, the other for the 2-channel system.

It's stock performance is stellar.

Given its extensive support of formats and functionality combined with the modest cost its an amazing value and a no brainier IMHO

I have been considering modification but am skeptical at best.

Most of the mods focus on updating the power supply and better shielding, damping and in some cases component and chip "upgrades"

The component replacement makes me nervous. It would be very easy to make things worse and unreliable.

My own modifications are:

Furman Ref 20i http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=02&id=IT-REF_20i

$20 10 gauge 20 amp power cord-not sure of the brand we use them for high power UPS' at work.

I also have a Brightstar Little Rock damping platform/brick that I have on the top of the unit.

When I bought these they were under $50

I swear I hear and see a difference but its probably a placebo effect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the responce trans_lux

I had another solution given and it seems pretty good

the NAD M-51 DAC with a Pioneer elite BDP-62FD player, might be a solid option considering an upgraded oppo would cost about a thousand more.

I am very curious about the oppo with the reviews it is getting, but have a feeling for my system the higher compatibility of the NAD and the dedicated universal player will be amazing and easily changed with evolution of technology.

It is such a guessing game at first. Fun though! :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinafox  /t/1526985/new-set-up-filling-gaps#post_24600190

Thanks for the responce trans_lux

I had another solution given and it seems pretty good

the NAD M-51 DAC with a Pioneer elite BDP-62FD player, might be a solid option considering an upgraded oppo would cost about a thousand more.

I am very curious about the oppo with the reviews it is getting, but have a feeling for my system the higher compatibility of the NAD and the dedicated universal player will be amazing and easily changed with evolution of technology.

It is such a guessing game at first. Fun though!

I'm sure the NAD is nice. The Pioneer on the other hand is a complete POS.

I would not recommend it to my worst enemy.

Also keep in mind all the format decoding and streaming services that you will be missing.

Just go for the stock 105. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Any opinion on just getting the oppo 105d instead of the nad m51? or both? Thinking I should order the oppo for a test run and check out all the options. Also 105 or the 105d, is darbee worth it?

Mods do sound like a big risk, but the tube mod if done perfectly could be an amazing lift for playing vinyl if not everything. Hmmmm! :)

Also, any opinion on these cables for speaker? Transparent Musicwave Plus or the super.

Thanks for the heads up on the panasonic, the idea has been discarded

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinafox  /t/1526985/new-set-up-filling-gaps#post_24601327

Any opinion on just getting the oppo 105d instead of the nad m51? or both? Thinking I should order the oppo for a test run and check out all the options. Also 105 or the 105d, is darbee worth it?

Mods do sound like a big risk, but the tube mod if done perfectly could be an amazing lift for playing vinyl if not everything. Hmmmm!

Also, any opinion on these cables for speaker? Transparent Musicwave Plus or the super.

Thanks for the heads up on the panasonic, the idea has been discarded

I have read some not so positive reviews of the Modwright tube mod. Most describe as very tubey sounding.

I like tubes or solid state for that matte that imparts as little sonic signature as possible.

I'd try a stock 105 and see what you think.

re: cables I'm usually not a believer in cables with in-line networks or other voodoo like claims.

That being said the entry level Transparent has performed well for me.

My long term favorite is what the people use in studios for mastering.
http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/speaker_cable/conventional_configuration/

In the end the best speaker cables are the shortest.

Getting your amps as close to the speakers makes a huge difference.

Further I would only recommend long balanced cables vs single ended to avoid picking up noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinafox  /t/1526985/new-set-up-filling-gaps#post_24601330

just saw in your post you had 2 105Ds. Answers that question.
I'm not sure what you mean?

I have one in the theater and one in my listening room.

I'll add a 3rd and likely a 4th in short order for another room I'm working on and one for my desktop/PC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

i asked if you would recommend the 105 or 105d, then on reading your previous post saw you had two 105D's. I figured you would recommend the 105d.

Thanks again, I have decided to give it a go.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinafox  /t/1526985/new-set-up-filling-gaps#post_24602155

i asked if you would recommend the 105 or 105d, then on reading your previous post saw you had two 105D's. I figured you would recommend the 105d.

Thanks again, I have decided to give it a go.

Oh got it.

I'm usually not a big fan of image enhancement features.

I need to spend more time with the Darbee to have a real opinion.

Its only $100 diff so all mine are 105D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts