AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every one, new to this forum and modern A/V equipment for that matter. I have just purchased a few things and wanted to get some input. I realize this is a very broad subject but I want to make sure that I didn't waste my money. I have picked up a Pioneer SC-72 (witch I may return and buy on Amazon for $400 less) and some Martin Logan speakers. I went with the electromotion esl fronts, motion 6 center, 2 motion 2 rears and a dynamo 500 sub for now and will be adding 2 sides eventually. The speakers were a good deal, buy the fronts and sub and get the rears and center for free, but the receiver I probably paid too much for and I want to know if I should return it and buy off amazon or is there something that I could replace it with that would be better? I like all the features and it sounds great and it will even accommodate a 4K TV in the future but can I do better for $800? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
451 Posts
but the receiver I probably paid too much for and I want to know if I should return it and buy off amazon

What avr did you buy would be a starter I imagine!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Why do you think you paid too much for it? If you wait till the next model year you can even get it cheaper. Do you have this set up already in your home, and do you like it? If you do, why don't you go back to the place you bought it and see if they will match the Amazon price so you don't have to unplug it all, box it back up, take it to wherever you bought it (or ship it back if bought online), then wait for another SC-72 to show up, hopefully 'undamaged' in shipping, set it all up again etc. etc.

edit: oops, it is the old model, this is the new one for $100 more http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SC-1323-K-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B00D4MQ0UU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Maybe look at that one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf  /t/1521216/new-set-up#post_24453735

What's the problem with your current setup? How does it sound to your ears?

This is my first set-up really, until now I've only had the "home theater in a box" from Radio Shack LOL, and it sounds awesome I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch  /t/1521216/new-set-up#post_24453756

Why do you think you paid too much for it? If you wait till the next model year you can even get it cheaper. Do you have this set up already in your home, and do you like it? If you do, why don't you go back to the place you bought it and see if they will match the Amazon price so you don't have to unplug it all, box it back up, take it to wherever you bought it (or ship it back if bought online), then wait for another SC-72 to show up, hopefully 'undamaged' in shipping, set it all up again etc. etc.

edit: oops, it is the old model, this is the new one for $100 more http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SC-1323-K-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B00D4MQ0UU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Maybe look at that one.

I think I paid to much because it's a lot cheaper on line, I could be happy with this price but don't want to pass up an opportunity to save some cash for more stuff down the road. That's a good idea I will call and try to get them to match the price first. I thought this thing was only 10 months old, didn't they come out in May 2013?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Maybe I don't know much about it. But remember this stuff is worse than cars - I think these guys just sometimes do a little as add a bit of software and change the chassis a little bit then slap a new 'version' on it so they can charge us more.

4k ready? That's a croc - by that I mean nothing is in 4k yet and though I'm not really paying attention to it nothing will be for quite a while. And when they do actually start making something (source) that can transmit a 4k signal, these '4k' ready receivers won't be nearly as good as a 'true' one lol. That's how it always goes.

Anyway - good luck. If it's a really recent purchase they should match it for you (most stores match on line now, they have to).

Reactions: phottomatt

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I would not want to use those speakers with that receiver. The amplifiers in that receiver do not have the kind of power supply behind them to allow them to drive that kind of speakers properly. The same goes for almost any receiver from Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony, Anthem, etc. etc.

They may show a lot of power connected to RESISTOR on a test bench, with only two channels in operation, but driving actual SPEAKERS is a much more demanding load that can produce much much higher distortion; especially 5 or 7 speakers...lol.

I suggest that you get a NAD T-758 receiver, which has much better amplifiers that are really designed to drive speakers like yours with much lower distortion.

Published power specs are what most people seem to go by, and they are absolutely worthless. The only meaningful specs would be actual DISTORTION specs driving REAL SPEAKERS. They are never published, of course. A properly designed receiver with a true 50 or 60 watts for ALL CHANNELS will SOUND BETTER than most receivers that advertise 150 watts per channel (but really for only two channels, driving a resistor...lol).

ANY amplifier will give virtually ZERO distortion driving a resistor on a test bench, but that is not the real world; that is nonsense. It tells you absolutely nothing that is useful or what it will really sound like.

The only ones that really SOUND good IMO driving high-quality speakers are made by NAD, Cambridge Audio, and Arcam. Those are the only ones I will recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phottomatt  /t/1521216/new-set-up#post_24445587

Hello every one, new to this forum and modern A/V equipment for that matter. I have just purchased a few things and wanted to get some input. I realize this is a very broad subject but I want to make sure that I didn't waste my money. I have picked up a Pioneer SC-72 (witch I may return and buy on Amazon for $400 less) and some Martin Logan speakers. I went with the electromotion esl fronts, motion 6 center, 2 motion 2 rears and a dynamo 500 sub for now and will be adding 2 sides eventually. The speakers were a good deal, buy the fronts and sub and get the rears and center for free, but the receiver I probably paid too much for and I want to know if I should return it and buy off amazon or is there something that I could replace it with that would be better? I like all the features and it sounds great and it will even accommodate a 4K TV in the future but can I do better for $800? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great input? Thank you all, the site I bought it from does price match the trick will be to find a store that is in their list of "approved dealers" I'm sure I will be able to get a little back witch will satisfy me just fine.

Kirk out

©|||||||©

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOOHOO, just called the store, they verified everything over the phone and will credit me the difference. Saved me $420. Thanks for the idea Kpt_Krunch you rock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well they denied my request because I did not do the match at time of purchase. However I took my receipt to the local store and the guy at the return center was able to refund the difference on the receiver AND speakers, saved me $790 dollars.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts