AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right now I have Yamaha rx-v667 running HKTS 15 from an old theater in a box. What I'm wanting is a good sounding 5.0 for mainly movies, the room is my living room that is open to my kitchen and the living room area is 18x13. I'm pretty set on getting emotiva amps but everything else im pretty open. For price I want to keep it conservative, I'm ok with used speakers that I can get for a bit cheaper, so I don't need the newest or greatest. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If you buy the speakers with reasonable sensitivity you can skip the amp and put that money into speakers and a good sub. I'd look and see if any of Ascend Acoustics ' products fit your budget. That Yamaha will have no problem CMT-340 bookshelves and center for the front three. You can save a few hundred by buying b-stock (minor cosmetic blemishes).

If that's too much money then consider Infinity's P162 bookshelves, PC250 center, and P152 bookshelves for surrounds. These are great bang for the buck speakers.

For the subwoofer I'd contact Hsu Research and find out if a VTF-2 MK3 is enough sub for that space. More than likely it is and that sub is on sale.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Very sound advice, Sir Scholling, in more ways than one.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19649571

It would be nice to know the budget

as far as this im always under the impression you get what you pay for, so id like to stay around $1000 on speakers. I figure this is a good medium setup ... are my assumptions correct?

·
Registered
19,812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nownot /forum/post/19649636

as far as this im always under the impression you get what you pay for, so id like to stay around $1000 on speakers. I figure this is a good medium setup ... are my assumptions correct?

If I read this correctly - you are using the Harman Kardon sub.

You will need a new sub for movies. Go to www.onecall.com and

look at the Boston VR1 tower speakers and the VRC center, for

the fronts. Then look at the sub Sholling reccomended. This will

be a little over $1000, and will get you started. You can save up

for surrounds later, if you can't afford any now. This will floor the

Hk system. With the Boston you can wait on Amps - they are 93

and 92 db sensitive.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nownot /forum/post/19649636

$1k is a decent budget for good quality entry level speakers and a decent subwoofer for a medium sized room that will probably blow most of your friends away. It just goes up from there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can someone please give me the dummies guide to the sensitivity / decibals and why "93 and 92 db" would be good for a receiver with an amp not needed. Just trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks

p.s. I think have a good understanding of watts / ohms / current. ohms need to match from receiver to speaker to getting the correct watts form the receiver. if the ohms are higher on the speaker you're getting less watts and if the ohms are lower on the speaker it takes more current to push, higher watts, and will fry an amp.

·
Registered
19,812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nownot /forum/post/19650026

can someone please give me the dummies guide to the sensitivity / decibals and why "93 and 92 db" would be good for a receiver with an amp not needed. Just trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks

p.s. I think have a good understanding of watts / ohms / current. ohms need to match from receiver to speaker to getting the correct watts form the receiver. if the ohms are higher on the speaker you're getting less watts and if the ohms are lower on the speaker it takes more current to push, higher watts, and will fry an amp.

Read This
www.goodsound.com/features/2008_02_01.htm

·
Registered
19,812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nownot /forum/post/19661324

Ok went shopping today and have the decision between two setups:

Klipsch rb-61 and rc-52 for $650

Or b&w 686 and htm62 for $800

Ideas thoughts? Thanks.

Two different sound characters - make sure you listen with