AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought and hooked up all my stuff.

Samsung - UN55B8500 - 55"

Samsung - BD-P3600 Blu-Ray

and an older receiver - Onkyo TX-SR601 - 6.1

I have the blu-ray going into the TV via HDMI 1.4v cable and Optical audio out of the blu-ray into the receiver.

When I watched The Hangover last night the voices don't match up with the audio. I realize that this is probably lip-sync issue. The problem is my receiver does not have the option to change the lip-sync timing.

Is there any way to fix this without buying a new receiver? Could this be because I have all the TV settings turned to ON?

Please someone let me know, this is frustrating.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didnt think it was an issue with my Blu-ray player. I havent tested regular TV yet from my cable box thats setup the same way. If I have the lip-sync issue with that, than it must not be the bd player.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Before powering up the Blu-ray player, turn off all frame creation features and let us know. I'd probably turn it all off and actualy power down the display abd back up too.

Also, try 1080p/60 output if the above has no effect.

I have been finding this oddity with 120hz displays with this very setup where legacy audio connections are used . It doesn't seem to fix it by just turning the feature off while the source and display are powered up though.

I have a feeling if you ran the HDMI through the AVR it would be better for you.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
AVR = audio/video receiver (common term for receiver as an AVR does some form of video upscaling or conversion).

You'd be better served trying any alternative solutions as suggested in that link I provided or what John suggested as well as using google first as a new AVR with an audio delay setting isn't necessarily going to solve your problem.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
True to the above.... I am working on this same issue with my Bro-in-laws setup right now. He even tried a new expensive BD player and it did not help the issue.

He was the one that discovered that if he turned off all frame creattion / interpolation features before power the Blu-ray players he never had any issues. He also found that if he turned them on, he immeadately started having the sync issues and then even truning them back off dod not fix it until he powered off the player and back on.

I think it has something to do with the display sending some sync info back via HDMI, and the audio not running on HDMI. I may know more after this weekend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought this was a common issue fixed with lip-sync settings on the receiver. Since the Video is going direct to the TV VIA HDMI and the audio is going direct to receiver via Optical, wouldnt that most likely be the reason for this issue?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
The issues are very inconsistant. That is why the delay's available on some AVR's don't really fix it. The issues seem to be much worse with modern displays with 120hz and all the motion flow features associated with them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont want to have to lower the Hz rate and take off all the features, doesnt that defeat the purpose of having a nice tv? Will this cause the picture to not look as nice?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Well you have to try something to get to the bottom of it........

I don't think you can turn of 120hz, but you can turn off all cinemotion, frame creation, and / or interpolation features.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I had the same problem, and I also have a 120hz display. I fixed it by adjusting the audio delay in my processor, and now, all of my lip-sync issues are resolved.

NOTE: The lip-sync issue only occurred when I was watching a blu-ray with 1080p/24. I never had a lip-sync issue watching 1080p/60.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
My bro-in-laws issues are very inconsistant. Sometimes no lip sync issues, some times it varies greatly on the actual time it is out of sync, some times it varies even on the same runnign content at different points in the screening. I mean, he would have to adjust it quite often if it would work at all. His current AVR does not offer it anyways. But he has found the above I posted, we were going to investigte it more this weekend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I watched the blu-ray yesterday and there was no lip-sync issue. Same exact setup, I dont get it?

Also for some reason on my receiver I have to have the volume on like 60 to have it loud enough, is there some setting some where to change this, or is this normal.

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts