AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I wanted to say thanks to the community here. This is my first post, but I have spent hours here reading and studying before buying my first HT system.

After much worrying, studying, and gnashing of teeth, I have finally purchased a Pioneer VSX-9040TXH, Energy Take 5 Speakers, and an ED A2-300. I am patiently (ok, not so patiently!) waiting for next week when it is all scheduled to arrive and I thought I would ask for a few opinions on the last couple of decisions I need to make.

Currently, this is the cable I am purchasing:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I will be doing some in-wall, and under carpet runs, and I wanted a sturdy cable. Should I use bare wire connecting to the receiver? Will I have a problem using 12 AWG for that? If so, should I consider banana plugs or spades? Also, this cable is great for my speakers, but can someone please make some suggestions for my sub? I have never purchased one before and as far as I can tell I just need a cable with an RCA jack on both ends. Is that correct?

I have pretty much read all the documents here about where to put speakers and such, but does anyone have any other quick tips they would like to share for someone new?

Once again, thanks for the great place to learn, and your time.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Hi Sethropf,
Quote:
Should I use bare wire connecting to the receiver?
You can but banana plugs will make connections alot easier since terminals are so close together. If you chose bare wire connection make sure there is no wire strand hanging out that may touch the other terminals.
Quote:
Will I have a problem using 12 AWG for that?
Again read the above caution.
Quote:
If so, should I consider banana plugs or spades?
IMO banana plugs, I use the closed screw type from monoprice. Also don't get the dual type as that will not mate with two terminals.
Quote:
Also, this cable is great for my speakers, but can someone please make some suggestions for my sub?
Sure, I suggest the Digital Coaxial RG6/U from monoprice. Just get the length thats needed.
Quote:
I have never purchased one before and as far as I can tell I just need a cable with an RCA jack on both ends. Is that correct?
Yes but it wouldn't hurt to pick up a Coaxial Splitter Adapter just in case.
Quote:
I have pretty much read all the documents here about where to put speakers and such, but does anyone have any other quick tips they would like to share for someone new?
Sure, for more infor and questions on your equipments visit the Pioneer VSX-9040TXH thread and eD A2-300 thread .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts