AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Sharp, unlike others, tends to actually sell the stuff they show off immediately or soon after. So this is good. Hopefully, the pricing plummet on Sharp LCDs starts soon. And perhaps better scaling would be nice, too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've noticed that the Sharp 30" Aquos is now selling for $4800 in stores here --- it started

out at $6000. If the new 37" model has the advanced features (12msec response time

and a wide viewing angle) AND sells for less than about $6000, I think I will have found

my TV -- that is, once the street price is less than $4K!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Hey, so you'll have your TV in a year or so, DScreen.

:)

·
Registered
84 Posts

Originally posted by rogo

Hey, so you'll have your TV in a year or so, DScreen.

Hope so -- right about the time our old Proscan dies and

our cable provider decides to offer HDTV.

Looking forward to your reviews of what you see at CES.

Darrell

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course I'll have a lot to say about CES... :D

Mark seems to be cautiously in favor of plasma as a technology, and I'm a bit on the side of LCD, so it will be interesting to see how our notes compare. ;)

Of course, we both like OLED, and would love to see alternate technologies start to show up, but we all know that won't be for a while.

Additionally, on the projector side, I'll be looking for LCOS products (that can start to actually displace DLP, sorry TI, but I don't like your low-res solution or your color wheels...). I'll also be on the lookout for HD-PVR gear (from whatever source I can find) as well as HTPC/PVR hybrids.

I'm not going to really be looking for any audio/theater products, since my ears tell me that there's no real difference between a $500 Sony package and $20k Martin Logan setup ;), so realistically I'm not a good judge there.

-Dave

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dave,

Actually, I'd prefer to see a slight LCD bias as I'm just looking for the right

excuse to buy one. Your comments on LCOS match my thoughts exactly, so

I'll be interested in what you find there. Please don't neglect the small Viewsonic

36" LCOS monitor (I think that's what they've gone with) just because earlier

versions were deficient. I'm hoping they've fixed a few things, and they say they'll

be shipping in January (stated on their website). Also, please comment if Panasonic

shows an upgrade to their table-top LCD RPTV models.

I guess it's not fair to make these "personal" requests -- I presume these things are

of interest to many of us who aren't going to be there.

D

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Mark likes good picture quality. He really could care less what the technology is. FYI.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops, I misspoke ;)

Mark's been an diligent advocate for plasma picture quality and price/performance over other currently available technologies (as well as nearly available ones ;) ). We differ in opinion on the rate of technology improvements in large LCD panels vs. Plasma ones, I'm more optimistic, Mark is more experienced. ;) Take your pick, I'm sure there will be plenty of post-CES discussion following the show. :D

Dscreen,

I'm planning on checking out multiple products from Viewsonic and Panasonic, so I'll keep and eye out for those things as well. It not an imposition, It wasn't like I wasn't going to look anyway. ;)

-Dave

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Mark also notes that TFT-LCD technology is very, very old compared to plasma technology making both quantum improvements and rapid improvement relatively unlikely. He further notes that requiring a series of backlights to be the light source and then blocking the majority of that light is something of an odd way to generate a video image all else being equal. It is fundamentally more logical to either generate and display light (CRT and plasma) or at least reflect more of the light (DLP and LCoS) then it is to create a whole buncha lamps, try to put them in the best possible spot, and then let some light get through in a selective manner (LCD). That last scheme has inherent challenges which are evidenced by all existing products and are likely to be exacerbated by larger products.

I am very excited to get an OLED in 2007 or so, especially if I can roll it up. :)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
One more thing. Misconceptions run rampant as many here are sure I despise OLED while you believe I'm a fan.

Fascinating.

·
Registered
443 Posts
"One more thing. Misconceptions run rampant as many here are sure I despise OLED while you believe I'm a fan. "

This statement may indicate that not all projectors here are for television functions. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mark,

Well anyone who's been reading our posts knows where to find us at CES, we'll BOTH be hovering around the Sanyo booth drooling on the 12" OLED Demo :D

-Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
The pricing trend on the 30" Sharp TV is pretty encouraging:

http://www.pricescan.com/electronics...raph512248.asp

That's a 35% drop in 7.5 months, so roughly halving in a year if it keeps it up. :) For a supposedly mature technology, that is impressive. The Samsung 24" TV shows an almost identical rate of price decline, and their 24" monitor similarly:

http://www.pricescan.com/graphs/graph122044.asp

Over 2 years it has dropped in a very linear fashion, around 40% per year.

Interesting times...

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Agreed yabby. The thing is the initial price was a total joke. Now, if we get 40% off $4000 by next year, it'll still be carrying a price premium (and be pricier than 42" plasmas in all likelihood) but won't be totally outrageous.

I could see buying a 30-32" flat anything for the bedroom when whatever it is reaches $1500. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.