AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am considering of getting a sharp 9000 dlp projector. I am a bit hesitant of getting a marantz projector due to its common flickering issue. I am wondering if anyone know about any improvement or elimination of lip sync issue with the new production of Sharp 9000 ? Can Sharp internal scaler be bypassed with external scaler from progressive scan DVD player.

Thank you for your opinion.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you can set the DVD scaler to the DMD's native resolution (doubtful), you can.

My theory on the lipsync issue is that the video processing is too slow, and falls behind the audio. I haven't heard of any cases where the audio lagged.

If this is what's wrong, it is grave. Likely the video processing hardware would have to be replaced. If this is what's wrong, you should never see this problem running an HTPC feeding the PJ 1280x720x60, as you're bypassing much of the (slow) hardware.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input. Not a very encouraging news. May be my onkyo surround amp with audio delay function can be helpful in this situation.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The 'new' (post-December) firmware supposedly addressed this. The only case where I've ever seen it (still have the old firmware) was on interlaced cable-tv. I didn't run my DVD player non-progressive though, so I don't know whether or not it would have been an issue there. The new firmware is supposed to speed up the scaler by about 60% (I think was the number...), which was enough to make the issue unnoticable.

All de-interlacing/scaling delays the video WRT the audio, it's just the degree that was supposed to be the issue with the original firmware.

I just picked up a Anthem AVM20, which also has group audio delay assignable per input source (TV, DVD, VCR, SAT, etc.), so I doubt I'll personally upgrade the firmware just to get this fix. Not that I recommend that as the solution, the real one is the new firmware, but it is a work around in any case. Assuming you get a new 9000, you probably won't ever see the problem to begin with.

-Step

http://www.stepniczka.com/theater.html

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hmmm? Why do you think scalers have to work harder because I'm in Vienna, VA? ;)

My brother lives in Vienna, Austria, if it helps.

-Step

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
I never noticed any lip-sync problem with my Sharp 9000. I only use components though and a progressive DVD player. My firmware is not the most recent but is not one of the first either,

Sergio

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I've a new Sharp with new firmware (I forget the number but think it ends in something like 22221 or 2221) and I do not notice any lip synch problems with a interlaced DVD signal using component or S-Video cables. Or watching cable TV for that matter. My wife and I are both very sensitive to lip synch and we would both notice.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by step
Hmmm? Why do you think scalers have to work harder because I'm in Vienna, VA? ;)
Just making sideways note of the location because of your proximity to... (a secret place)

Unrelated to the scaler comment.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, WHERE in Vienna is of course top secret. Maybe it's in a government research lab where I'm being studied as a possible... weapon? You do remember the bomb name 'Fat Man', right? There's new research into the 'Heavy Man' bomb - it's part of a 'black' or at least 'very dark grey' project. But now I've said too much...

-Step

·
Registered
77 Posts
I too have never noticed any lip-sync problem with my JP Sharp 9000. I use a panny RV56 progressive DVD player that gives me excellent picture quality. My firmware is 1927 (Japanese) and was manufactured in Dec 2001.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have a Sharp XV-Z9000E (note the 'E').

I NEVER noticed a sync lip delay, and until now I'm only using composite, s-video or component interlaced inputs, the ones that uses the longer path inside the video processing. I NEVER noticed a sync lip delay in either NTSC or PAL, in either 3D mode or film mode.

It seems the first Sharp 9000 PJs produced had a sync lip delay. But that was in fall 2001.

I'm really surprised that people are still bothered by this (solved) issue now. In any case, if I'm not wrong, the sync lip delay was noticeable only with interlaced signals, not progressive.

Carlos

·
Registered
581 Posts
Dear all

For the Sharp XVZ-9000 E a new Firmware Version is now available (end of May/Service Pack 3).

Improvements:

- Lip-Sync on the S-VHS connection

- Lip-Sync with normal TV signal

- better details in dark scenes and better blacks

- sharper image

The test was performed with 2 Sharp 9000 next to eachother same source on one screen.

Anthony

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for all your opinion. I am reassured about the lip sync issue now. I am interested in the new firmware mentioned. I don't want to get the old version in stock. How can I find out about this firmware from my salesperson ? Is it indicated in the machine (sorry I am a biginner)? Can I assume that if I get a Progressive DVD player (with DCDI) like phillips Q50 or Denon 1600, sharp internal scaler can be bypassed ?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
A progressive scan DVD player outputs 480p. The sharp displays 720p. Anything fed into the Sharp that isn't 720p will either be upconverted (for example sources at 480i or 480p) or down converted (such as 1080i) to 720p. The firmware version is displayed through a menu selection. Ask your saleman how long the box he is selling has been in stock. Anything shipped the last few months will be the new version.

·
Registered
168 Posts
mark,

Do you know if these updates are/will be flashable? When I asked on the Sharp support line, they said it isn't, but might be released as a user-installable flash. But then- I just really wasn't sure the person on the phone knew whether it was even technically possible.

Thanks,

Step

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
From what I've heard from my Sharp rep (who of course is non longer my Sharp rep now that Sharp has eliminated its reps), the machine needs to be shipped back. my store demo has the old firmware and will someday have to be updated.

·
Registered
581 Posts
About the new Upgrade:

I forgot to mention, that Overscan un Input 1+2 has been improved.

Not eliminated but improved!

How to upgrade:

The new Version will be available to Sharp dealers. They will receive a special software to be able to access the Sharp site. From there they can then download the latest Version. A friend of mine is checking here in Switzerland. He told me that the dealer probably will download it onto a CD-ROM and then will distribute it to the end-user.

I'll keep you posted......

Cheers

Anthony

PS: Nobody mentioned here in Europe about having to ship back the 9000 to a dealer...

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Hi Vincent,

If your local Marantz dealer is authorized, please check out the Dan Miller thread in the Special Guests Forum. He says that the cause of the flicker problem has been found and addressed, and that any flickering PJs in the field should be brought to the authorized dealer to get fixed. It sounds like the bulb will be replaced. At their cost.

TM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.