Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

This is a translation of a review made at the IFA in Germany.

I'd like to thank ANDY for his great review and would like to apologize, if the transaltion isn't quiet up to the German review.

So here we go (enjoy):)

Hello home-cinema-addicts, here some new information, which concerns the revised model in the current status!

First a small summary of the: This new meeting at the IFA took place with the responsible persons for Sharp Germany and the technical designer + inventors together with responsible persons from Japan.

This constellation was already remarkable, because these are facts, which are not based on rumours -- in detail:

Further functions in the Sharp Black-level/ WHITE REGULATION + GAMMA (separately Black-level/white) + SEQUENTIAL COLOR RECAPTURE regulation is over the software (CD) by means of ext. To pass from computer on to the XV9000 is possible over the CUSTUM adjustment by R-S 232. In the GAMMA MENU this adjustment is available, which can be used then for each input. This function is thus nevertheless available, even if the DPX 1 (YAMAHA -- scr =???) inclusive simple adjustment permits here direct accesses (without computers).

DYNAMIC FILTERING technology for dynamic intercarrier noise suppressor inclusive Com filter (is software based an can be switched off). This function operates thus only if a) the source supplies inferior/worse signals or b) can be shut off completely.

DEINTERLACER CHIP (3:2 + 2:2 Pulldown etc..) is a SELF-DEVELOPMENT from Sharp. Behind the picture performance, which was optimized for 1.5 years already together with that 16:9 chip in the testing phase again and again. The chip is called CIVIC and was found so far only in the professional equipment (Sharp) uses. The application settled in XV the Z9000 E thus one small sensation, because qualitatively clearly outperforms the current (SILICON, SAGE, FARAOUDJA). Since the CIVIC CHIP has been in development for over 1.5 years and optimised for 16:9 CHIPS.

For example contenders like Seleco Sim 300 with Faroudja DCDI technique have been only 4 months in development, thus one can speak here of a development projection/lead with Sharp of approximately 1 year!!

It takes already at least 1-1.5 years, in order to form here real functioning units – it’s no surprise that there aren’t many manufacturers that build 1280 x 720 DLP panels. Who builds there own Deainterlacing chips from scratch???

The LOCOS technique is by the way no contender for the DLP technique at the moment, since a contrast of over 1000 to 1 can’t be attained –

FULL panel resolution with HTPC input (hp 15 VGA)!!

However sharpnesscontrol in the menu won’t be available!!

576 P mode inclusive sharpness regulation in the menu FUNCTIONS!!!

4 separate memories for different format s, which (almost) operates without Overscanprobleme -- depending upon DVD!! (4:3 Titanic e.g. was not quite correctly cropped -- some pictureinformation was missing).

LENS SHIFT regulation ensures over/under the screen edge an adjustment, the permits an accurately even picture to the screen!

15 Khz acceptance at the hp 15 VGA socket (also switchable RGB to YUV).

3 movement recognition Algorithms, in progressiv mode " 3d " remains only active here!!

Probably a separate solution from Japan will be offered.

Selection of different objectivs Tele/Normal/Wide can be selected at purchase to accommodate different room sizes/distances to screen!

However this option will only be available in the 2. distribution step -- this options still has to be confirmed!

DVI INPUT will not be available!! Not even as a future option! Why was this step taken? It seems that through the DVI connection no real advantages can be converted to real picture performance based on the current technique (even changes in the next 12-15 months not).

Since cablelenght may not go beyond 1 to max 3 m (with super+good cables).

There still will be some adjustments/modificationson the DVI standard, that actual projectors on the market won’t be able to use anyhow.

There are still some hurdles that must be taken before DVI interfaces can be used for an improved picturequality even on long cable lengths.

Now the actual picture test:

This model was the revised model and represents at the moment the current status before shippment.So this is not yet the final version.

The projectort was used with 480/576 P as source(Proceed PMDT)!!

I optimized first the grey balance and other colorparameters (as far as this was possible without a computer or other gadgets), so that a good base was available. Since the PMDT is coloured very neutrally co-ordinated, fit the basic adjustments at the XV 9000 already relatively well, up to the Kelvin regulation, which was raised a little.

In the process of the demonstration 6 DVDs were used (NTSC The Haunting; NTSC spec edition silver T2; PAL Boursch Reference; PAL Anna and the king; PAL Titanic; PAL Gladiator). Which was noticeable first, the inputs Menus showed the accurate units (480, 576 P - KHZ - 50.60 cycles per second), so that a safe conversion was optically also ensured. An accurate recognition of the standards was thus never disturbed by studders or format problems at all -- even the Cinema mode (full picture on Panel without beams) did not limp in sharpness. The aspect ratio with 2,35 to 1 with small black beams was accurate. The blacklevel was simply dark despite 800 Ansi mode (not theatre mode with 600 Ansi) was enough in order to display space-scenes with fantastic detail. The PMDT is surely a partner, which contributes to the excellent blacklevel. With the theatre mode on the 1,0 Gain Stewart screen(3,2m width) however seemed somewhat too dark (there was some exterior light, on the screen). Therefore it remains to be seen, which mode is better in a fully light controled room.

I estimate that then even 4m display width (without Grayhawk) are feasible WITHOUT light loss. Then however the projector should sit not too far away from the screen (thus normally objective or Wide objective). Noise: (without typical DLP high pitch noise) the device is anyway very very quiet. The white level is (by software also still space to optimise, was already made through PMDT however) really white (not gray), also an overly bright white could not any more be determined. The levels in the grey curve (test DVD) was all together finely detailed and very colour-neutral. Even the Gladiator cellar-scene (15) didn’t give any problems. The transition of the picture from dark to light (arena) was shown without problems –

No smearing, detail loss, no Rainbow-effect. Also all spectators in the arena were sharp into the rear seating lines (no smear, non judder, -- fantastic).

Also the sharpness effect /outlines (to see very well with the new VW 11) was not to be detected even with the DVD (Anna and the king -- to detect there very fast). Also the very multi-colored colours to the green were again more pronounced (as pre-production models). Even in the gradation red to orange was a clear improvement to the first test!!

Real red and not orange. Also different transitions in the fire could be easily displayed on the T2 DVD (no stairs, no blocks, no smudge -- TOP). There are still many DLP projectors that have problems (also LCD), the new Sharp NOT.

The Rainbow effect was not to be determined likewise at the beginning no more, also here thus a repeated improvment (to the first series). I looked however with the utmost care, and I usually can see the RBE very well. Very rarely RBE still could be seen, however very fast without real color perception (only very darkly RGB not brightly RGB). However clearly fewer than with the Sim HT 200 DM. Even for a critical viewer RBE is a “non issue†--.

So now to the decisive movement representation, which pursues ambitious goals. Thus with NTSC it was a dream of a picture, which was displayed with T2(NTSC) ! Such plastic and stable pictures! The scene with the radiator grille in the Blau/balck sky. The movements very fluid and also the motion (on the motorcycle e.g. the face) and detailed/ absolutely sharp). The 3:2 Pulldown is marvelously transferred here. Here that had to be detected more by the big width of the screen, but non of this occurred, GREAT. The picture had very good CRT like image with similar appearance, but with digital image advantages!!!

Now comes Pal, which is …to say even more deatailen with higher resolution (Gladiator was simply fantastic) better still than NTSC (480 P), but now the disappointment!! There are still the problems of the Solarationseffects (Banding similar color surfaces catch on to crawlies, opposite to the movement) in the movement , which emerged in the pilot lot too. Reduced compared to the first test, but the even PAL Titanic shows it clearly in many places. Also the TOP DVD Gladiator is not quite free of it too. It seems to be directly connected to the optimization of the 16:9 Pannel chip to Deinterlacing chip, with 576 P signal.Why this is the case, I don’t know. . However the error is also with normal Composite + s-video (Interlaced). In HP the mode is noticeable.

Althoug from 5-6 m distance, non of these “errors†could be seen, but that is probably no solution. At the show this problem on PAL could not be solved but was discussed with the Japanese manufacturer. This will have to be addressed when they go back to Japan.

Bottom line this product is suited for the sensitive home cinema High end users.

Already now before coming to market it offers functions, which other developers/other manufacturers still have to develop! The pre-production model was again refined or extended indeed in many disciplines, which could be seen easily at the show.. The attainable picture quality is an absolute increase in performance, compared to other solutions out on the market (IMO). With NTSC I can say: GREENLIGHT GO FOR IT

PAL isn’t quiet there yet. But I would be surprised if for market launch their incredible CIVIC development, wouldn’t be able to eliminate these last problems with PAL. This last point was also to the very friendly Japanese an issue, which they promised to address---

SO COME ON on last improvement to do!!!! Hopefully it is not because of the 16:9 !! The distribution date is set to the beginning of November, therefore now the 3 step comes in October, where again a final test position will take place (report naturally will follow again). Up to then there is still time to eliminate/optimise the SHARP XV-Z9000.

I hope you enjoied this review and can't wait to see the final product. As for me.......40 long nights to go :-(

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
491 Posts
Tony-V,

Any idea at what price (EUR or DEM or CHF) the Sharp is going to list for when released in Europe?

[This message has been edited by NiToNi (edited 08-29-2001).]

·
Premium Member
25,004 Posts
Anthony,

Thanks very much for the detailed review. The Sharp sounds like it has what it takes to win over a lot of CRT users.

Do you know what the throw distance of the wide-angle (short throw) lens is?

Thanks

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
35 Posts
@NiToNi

The author of the original (german) review gave the info, that the price would be 12'000.-- Euro (only for Germany?)

That's about $ 10'898.--

Expect a lower streetprice...

Best

Visar

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks Visar,

Seems like I'll be going to Japan to pick up mine, where it will go on sale from Sept 5 and list for 898,000 yen. However, some dealers are already offering it for a lower price, for example this one:
http://www.disk-group.com/products_l...ojector_9.html

As you can see, they offer it for a good 24% discount at 690,000 yen. Still, you would most likely have to add 5% sales tax to that, or 34,500 yen, so you'd end up with a total price of 724,500 yen. Converting this amount to EUR or USD using a typical credit card rate of +2%, you find that the cash you would have to part with to get to own this one, would be EUR 6,760 or USD 6,150, which is sooooo much lower than EUR 12,000 or USD 10,995.

However, given the PAL issues that Anthony mentions in his review, I wonder if any revisions and improvements to the firm or harware in this resepct will be made to the Japansese model as well or only to the European model (XV-Z9000E). Any thoughts on that, Visar and Anthony?

[This message has been edited by NiToNi (edited 08-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by NiToNi (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear NiToNi

To be honest with you I don't know. Based on the short time until to the release in Japan I'd be surprised if any improvments can be made for the Japanese model.

Probably the European models will be the first to have the changes.

The pricing in Japan is very low indeed! It's good to know that I can expect a GOOD discount in Switzerland :)

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got some info, that the Sharp will be displayed at the High-End Show here in Switzerland 21.9-24.9.

They will be showing the model that was displayed in Germany.

I'll post some impressions then.

As far as I was told the release date in Switzerland could be as late as December!

To be honest, at the moment I don't mid waiting another month or two, if the remaining bugs can be eliminated.

Looks like a very nice Christmas indeed!!!!:))))

Anthony

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi

I work for a freight forwarder in Japan.

Would it make sense to buy the projector in JP and send it to some of you guys ?

I believe I can get some discount (around 20%) if I buy it from the shop. Then you must count at least 300 euro for shipping to Europe + duty tax.

If some of you are interested ... Let me know !

Also remember, JP is 110 V so you would need a transformer.

Cheers,

Cedric

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Cedric,

NO ! This projector is 100-240V, as I have check the back picture of the Japanese model carefully. But the menu may be in Japanese only.

Cam

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wow!

Just found the Sharp for 577,500 yen incl tax. Translated using the same priciples as above, that is EUR 5,380 or USD 4,930. Got to hurry since the darn yen is appreciating every day though...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dear NiToNi

The shop that you mentioned in your link won't export to foreign countries :-(!! only Japan.

Where did you find the pricing you mentioned (elswhere?).

The softwareversion won't be perfect for 576P PAL.

From what I have heared the MENU(not manual) of the projector will be in Japanese!!!!

Just some info and thoughts.

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi Anthony,

Didn't find that price with the shop I linked to earlier. Found it here:
http://www.hot-stage.com/cyumon_all.htm

Click "Projectors", scroll down to Sharp.

Wouldn't import anyway - 25% import duty...would go there.

Menu in Japanese only? Doubt it, probably changeable. Still, don't care having studied Japanese for several years (and lived there).

What bothers me though is software not optimized for PAL 576/50p. But wouldn't that be a matter of just upgrading to a European verson using PC/CD-R/Sharp_Manager/RS 232?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Quote:
DEINTERLACER CHIP (3:2 + 2:2 Pulldown etc..) is a SELF-DEVELOPMENT from Sharp. Behind the picture performance, which was optimized for 1.5 years already together with that 16:9 chip in the testing phase again and again. The chip is called CIVIC and was found so far only in the professional equipment (Sharp) uses. The application settled in XV the Z9000 E thus one small sensation, because qualitatively clearly outperforms the current (SILICON, SAGE, FARAOUDJA). Since the CIVIC CHIP has been in development for over 1.5 years and optimised for 16:9 CHIPS.

For example contenders like Seleco Sim 300 with Faroudja DCDI technique have been only 4 months in development, thus one can speak here of a development projection/lead with Sharp of approximately 1 year!!

Just found this thread that Tony translated and was amamzed to see that Sharp have been working on their chip for over a year http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Anyway it may seem that the European units are getting a software upgrade as I just heard this from a overseas supplier-

"They are in stock, but currently going through some software upgrades"

Hopefully to fix the PAL problem. I'll keep you posted.

Spero D.

[This message has been edited by Spizz (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cain:
Sounds great, glad they got the color wheel rainbow problems eliminated.
"Eliminated" is generous, based on my own viewing. Significantly reduced to the point that most people don't see it, or at least don't consider it objectionable. But those really sensitive to this effect (including myself) still don't like it.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Quote:

The deinterlacing algorithm has absolutely nothing to do with the aspect ratio of the display chip.

That's purely a scaling issue, which happens post-deinterlacing.

Ok...so call me picky. I just fail to see how how they think this scaler is automatically better than Faroudja's jsut bcs they've been working on it for a longer period of time. I'll bet the Rock+ has the Sharp scaler beat regarless.

-dave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.