AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Silicon image have a new 504 chip to replace the 503 that is (was) in the iScan Pro.

Does anyone know if they are going to put them into the iScan Pro immediately, or is there a new model on the way???

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Well, the 504 is pin-compatible with the 503 ("in most applications", their quote), so in theory the iScan Pro could start shipping with the 504.

But I'm not sure if you'll find particularly better deinterlacing or scaling algorithms in the 504. From what I can tell, the primary purposes for the 504 upgrades are 1) lower power and 2) integration of some functionality that would have previously been implemented off-chip.

The only truly added functionality I can see is that the 504 supports 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 YCbCr output, while the 503 supports only one. Also, I think (but I'm not sure) that there's finer control over the gray scale level used on the side bars in a 4:3 squeeze.

In fact, on the Silicon Image product page, it even suggests that the 503 is still the better choice for higher quality applications. But given that Vigatec is upgrading to the 504 this doesn't make the most sense. Perhaps they're just trying to get rid of inventory.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Actually all VIGATEC units higher serial number 1000 do have the

504 chip and there is no difference in deinterlacing algorithms.

The major change was a lower supply voltage which has brought down temperature a lot.

That is the reason why the higher 1000 units do not have a heatsink any longer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.