AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks a couple of new SIM2 units on the way. I didn't see a thread on this yet. One looks like it could be up Art's alley if he gets the upgrade bug on his HT5000. A cool new HT5000HB with dual lamps and some really cool calibration software.

The other is the Domino D60. It says in the video that the target price is 2750 (pounds). So that would put it in the neighborhood of the Planar 8130. The specs look good on it and the new case is very sleek looking. Oh and the coolest part is that it is coming in July. Check out the video here . I wasn't able to find any info on the SIM2 site yet. Most likely they will appear soon though.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 /forum/post/14289664

Here is a link to specs on the D60. Looks better then what was mentioned in the video. Check it out here .

I see a dynamic iris listed for the D60 (DynamicBlack). I wonder if SIM2 will put that in a version of the HT5000.

--Darin

·
Registered
980 Posts
I saw a site mentioning dual iris - one manual and one dynamic. That could be a great solution for someone willing to trade lumens for contrast (i.e. small screen users).

Edit: that's on the D60

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the site I found has taken down the specs. The other feature that stood out for me was Lens Shift. Something we've all had a hard time finding at times on DLP. I was wondering what kind of throw distance range this will have. It might be something flexible for a lot of different setups. If it does have the dual iris option that will be a great feature to have. Sounds like this could be the DLP single chip answer to the VW60 for price and performance.

·
Registered
968 Posts
As rlhjr34 points out, the D60 sounds very much like the Planar PD8130. DC2, Dynamic Black, vertical lens shift. Even the price is similar.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The site that had the specs on it no longer works. However, I do recall it mentioning that it would have a 15,000:1 CR. I guess that will depend a lot on how you use the IRIS setup. Which chip are they using in the Planar model that is priced similarly to this one? Is it also the DC2? At the $5500 retail price range I figure the 8130 might be it's target competition.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perhaps in a few days SIM2 will update their site with the official specs, since the video mentioned a July release.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
So much of any DLP design is by TI. Most optical engines are out sourced from one or two suppliers. Ditto for the lenses (a few more possible suppliers here).Things like input boards, video processsing chips, CMS, menu structure, the actual lens chosen, are up to the manufacture. With so much in common, many machines will be very similar in specs. specing a much better lens than the others will make that machine more expensive than the others. I suppose, if the prices are close, the details will make the difference. Most of these details would be aimed at the custom installer and calibrator. My guess is that the chip set and driving board is significantly cheaper for the DC2. A good way tolower manufacturing costs. Use the DC3 and a better lens and the machine may go up a few thousand retail. Use the DC4, you get the idea. Breakthroughs in performance among the manufacturers using TI one chip technology? Licensing something like dynamic yada and using it in their machine. Of couse, others can license the yada too. Its making the right choices for the market. And chooosing one parameter regardless of the cost factor may automatically impact negatively on other.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/14293168

... My guess is that the chip set and driving board is significantly cheaper for the DC2. A good way to lower manufacturing costs....

According to Bob Williams at Planar, the processing chips are the same for all current 1080P DMD's.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post13667877

And the current designs require 2 ASIC chips to control a single 1080P DMD:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13588765

Based on that, I have to assume the cost delta is for the actual DMD chip.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found the specs for the D60 on a different site. Here they are:

We are glad to announce a new entry in our Product line: the Domino D60 projector. This new model have been designed to meet the latest customers´ requirement, as well as budget capability.

The D60 projector will be SIM2´s new FULL HD entry level projector. The D60 has excellent features and solid performance which place it at the top among FULL HD entry-level DLP projector.

MAIN SPECS:

1 x 0,95 1080p DMD chip (1920 x 1080 pixels) to meet the today´s High Definition sources output resolution;

Brightness: 1200 ANSI lumens

Contrast: 15000:1 (Full On/Full Off, to be confirmed)

10 bit video processing which allows superior colour reproduction;

200W dimmable lamp;

motorised vertical lens shift for ease of installation;

Brilliant Color™ Technology for wider and colourful color gamut;

Dual IRIS system: Variable IRIS and Dinamic Black™ that enhances contrast based on the image shown

AVAILABILITY: July 2008

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Sim 2 has always used first grade TI chips which is why they offer their no defect warranty. While the D60 uses the DC2 chip it is of the hiest grade selection so it should match the performance of the standard DC3. Add the dynamic iris and you have a nice performer.

The duel lamp 5k. In duel lamp mode you will see an increase in dynamic contrast but a decrease in on/off.

Will the specs equil the single lamp 5k if using one lamp. Should have some info soon enough.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Alan. While the DC2 does indeed perform better in some aspects than the DC3, the DC has an inherent advantage in native CR. I doubt, but haven't checked the specs, to see if the upper range in all performance aspects of the DC2 would overlap or touch the lower range of the same aspects of the DC3.

Sim2 is a good company with a very competent design team. A 15,000 on/off would be competitive or be better than all of the single chip DLPs out there. Lots of additional Sim2 employed features too. Be interesting to see what this dynamic black thing exactly does. Pluses and minuses of course I expect.

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Mark there is truth in what you say. Talking to the manufactures the differences between each chip generation is so small your eye would have a hard time detecting a difference but this is where marketing does its job. Each year a new chip is required to drive new sales. This one does XYZ but the old one only did XY. case in point the new Planar looks really good and surpasses some projectors using the DC4 chip. Makes you wonder behind all the marketing what % is truth and what % is hyper bowl

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
from what I have observed and discuss with several manufacturers, there is really very little difference i performance between the DC3 andDC4 though there is some. Better engineering in a DC3 machine could indeed out perform a lesser designed DC4 machine. I'll repeat that the DC2 does do somethings better than the DC3 and that's why Joe Kane says he chose it in his new Samsung, the native CR of the DC3 is significantly better than the DC2. That is the one weak point of the Samsung. A well executed DI or something that does the same thing is needed to get the DC2 up there in low APL scenes. my guess is that Sim2 found it in the Dynamic Black add on. We shall see.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
On the surface at least, there seems to be a few similarities between the D60, the Planar PD 8150 and the Samsung A800B. Although verification is more or less lacking depending on the manufacturer and reviews, each seems to use the DC2, each employs a DI, each advertises 1,000 ANSI lumens, I believe each offers Brilliant Colors, both the Planar and Sim2 advertise 15,000:1 on/off CR (measurements taken so far from Planar PD8150 have revealed far less), Samsung (like the Planar PD8130) advertises 10,000:1 on/off CR. Haven't see any measurements for Samsung.

One difference; Planar PD8150 claimed an on/off CR of 15,000:1, but the first review with measurements revealed a native on/off of around 1,700:1 and 4,000:1 to 6,000:1 with DI employed. Initial pro reviews praised the DI for its seamlessness, some early customer reviews have complained about DI "pumping."

Both Samsung and Planar have recommend that you avoid using the DI.

Previous Sim2 models, D80E and HT380, which would seem to be the precursors to the D60, have been measured around 6,000:1 without the use of a Dynamic Iris.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts