AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my second new Samsung SIR-TS160 box as of this writing. I am hooking the box up to a JVC AV48WP30.

I ordered the first from BestBuy.com and received it Nov. 4. Upon connecting everything, all aspects seemed to function perfectly, except for the occassional "Wrong Access Card" message, and the fact that the DVI picture was shifted to the right about 2". After about 3 weeks, however, the DVI picture disappeared completely. The sound still worked, as did other output methods (component, s-video and composite). At the same time, my WBBM (CBS here in Chicago) signal dropped to nothing and I began to see the loss of picture due to switching between D* channels and OTA (a problem which has been documented).

I assumed it was the STB and confirmed this by talking to Steve from the Samsung Tech Support phone number. So I bought another one from BestBuy.com (and returned the first one since I was within my 30 day window, and didn't want a refurb unit).

As before, upon connecting everything... functional operation. After only 2 weeks this time, the DVI picture went out. I changed channels and it returned. Later the same day, the picture disappeared and I can no longer get any picture output from the DVI. Component and composite are working fine.

S-Video, however, is also experiencing an issue. I get only diagonal moving lines (as if a sync problem), so I changed cables. The new cable worked for a few minutes (so I assumed that was the problem), but when I checked again several hours later the picture had returned to the diagonal lines. I never experienced this issue with the first unit.

I am not sure who to contact now, JVC or Samsung. I suppose I will call both of them to get an idea of who can help.

Does anyone else have this configuration, or has anyone had any similar issues? Can anyone offer suggestions on what to try next?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Weird that you posted this. I have an identical setup and started seeing the same problem about a week ago. I was outside of the 30 day return period for both the RPTV and HDTV receiver so I haven't attempted to resolve the issue yet. Beside the picture being shifted right a couple inches, the DVI input did work fine for a month. Based on your experience, I suspect the SIR-TS160 since replacing it corrected the problem for a few weeks. (Guess it's time to request a replacement for the TS160.)

Wonder if anyone else has experienced problems with the DVI output of the TS160? I suspect most connections are made from the component outputs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I contacted Samsung tech. support and they said they have heard this issue and that a firmware fix is under review (not sure if it will be included with the one ReesR talks about). He said it's a software issue.

When asked when this fix will be available he was not very specific. Steve (the most knowledgeable of the techs on this product) is on vacation this week. I will attempt to call again next week for a little more info.

However, he mentioned that the S-Video problem may not be related, so I attempted to buy another new box from BestBuy.com. At this time, however, they are completely sold out, both on-line and in my area stores, so unless they get more in, I will also have to get a refurb unit through Samsung...

Aside: Last night I was watching Monster's Ball on Cinemax, and about 3/4 of the way through the box locked up and kept repeating an instant of picture and sound (like a skipping record). I have never seen anything like that before. No controls would respond, so I unplugged the box (waited 10 sec) and started up again. The guide downloaded and the box worked fine after that (albeit through the component output). Has anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
12 Posts
mangriotis,

I found your post of 12-Dec interesting as I am also using DVI output of the TS160. I have been using a refurbished unit for a week (sent to me by Samsung as my original had the high chroma problem). So far the DVI continues to work, but, from reading some of the posts, who knows how much longer. To see if I could get any additional insight into this problem I spoke to Samsung yesterday. They mentioned Steve the tech is out until next Monday. Their basic answer to me was that all units with the DVI problem were early production units, all had been identified, and no consumer has one of these units now. This is obviously not quite correct from your experience. If the real answer is that this is a firmware problem (probably with all units) then I expect my DVI will die shortly. While this situation is frustrating, I find it hard to get too upset given all of us who own a TS160 can get an overnight replacement because of Samsung's Advanced Warranty Exchange Program -- that is, as long as Samsung implements the DVI fix in a timely fashion. Like you, I am planning to call Samsung next week and see if I can learn more about this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.