AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got around to building my new Sage Slim Client. Here is the list of components:

Gigabyte MIB T5140 case w/ 60W PSU

J&W MINIX MB785G-SP128MB

AMD Athlon II X2 240 65W

Seagate 160gb 2.5" 7200RPM hdd

Panasonic Slim Slot-Load DVD Supermulti drive

Samsung DDR2 800 SODIMM 1gb x 2

Pico-PSU 150XT w/ 150W power Brick

Thermaltake MeOrb Low Profile HSF

SilenX 60mm 19db case fan @ 13cfm

Here are some Case Pics:

I had been looking for a reasonably priced slim HTPC case for a long time. This case is not typically listed with HTPC cases, but suited my needs very well. The stock 60W PSU, however, did not.

Enter the Pico-PSU 150XT.

The Gigabyte case allows for full sized DVD/CD drives and HDDs, but since I chose to go with notebook drives, I needed a drive cage to suit them. I had a drive cage from an Antec ISK build at work that was not being used. I trimmed it so that it would fit well into the Gigabyte case and secured it inside with industrial double-sided adhesive tape. Handy stuff to say the least. I added a thin layer of foam to ensure quiet operation. Yeah I flipped it upside down several times to make sure it was not going to come lose.

The DVD slot cover seemed to make the perfect bezel for the slim drive, so I cut it to fit.

With 150W at my disposal, I was not limited in my choices for CPU and MB. I decided on the MINIX 785G MB purely because of price (J&W also has an 890GX itx MB, but for almost twice the price!)

The MINIX has a fairly full feature set with HDMI, DVI, VGA, SPDIF, Analog Surround, etc.... located on-board

Since I had very little room for a cooler (50mm from socket to case top), I was limited in HSF selections. I've used the MeOrb in other cases and liked the quiet efficient cooling.

The cooling surface is very nicely prepared.

I ran into a couple of issues when mounting the MeOrb on the MINIX MB. It came in serious contact with the NB heatsink and also covered one of the SODIMM slots. To resolve these issues, I removed the NB and machined it down so the the MeOrb heatpipes would just fit, then remounted it with a little AS5.

Then I had to sand down the fins on the opposite side of the MeOrb to free up the SODIMM slot.

Fortunately, everything fell into place.

Here is a closeup of the cable routing. Not much in there, so it wasn't too bad.

Yes, that is an IDE cable in there. The older DVD drive was not SATA, so I had to do a little folding to keep from affecting airflow. I hope to upgrade to a BR drive when the prices get right!

The only stock fan mount was 60mm. I debated modding the case for a larger fan, but decided to try the SilenX to see if it could do the job and still be quiet enough. It came with the rubber mounts and I also added a silencer between it and the case.

I have to say it's done very nicely so far. I've run some tests while viewing recorded HD TV and CPU temps have stayed in the mid to low 30's and case temps even lower. I plan to try some burn-in benches later. Airflow through the case is from left to right-back. The entire left side of the case is vent holes and there is also a vent above the HSF.

Could be bigger though.

Well, there you have it. I'm currently using an MCE remote with the Win 7 32bit, Sage v6 Client software, and everything is working great. I will update as things progress and possibly change.

BT

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BIOS has the option to to set temps for the CPU fan to spin-up at certain temps. MeOrb runs from 800rpm to 1700rpm (16db max). I set it to start ramping up at 45c. During the HD playback it runs at 800 and I can't hear it sitting 1ft from the case. The SilenX 60mm is running on 12v @ 2000rpm (rated 16db) and I can hear it a little at 1ft. In my living room where I sit 8 to 10 ft away, I can't hear the fans at all. However, I may change the HDD though, because it ticks very slightly when reading and I can't stand it. It was an old drive that I had and I have another. I'll image onto the other and see if it is quieter.

So far, CPU temps have not exceeded 35c, case stays around 29c and NB has gotten up near 40c. All I've done is recorded HDTV playback though, but then, that's all I plan to use it for. I hope to do some stress tests over the holidays and will post results. The case fan is capable of 18cfm at full speed, but since the opening is just small holes, I estimate airflow at 9 to 10 cfm. Internal volume of the case (empty) is .28cu/ft, so the little fan is turning the air over pretty well. After stress testing, if the case temps don't rise too much, I'll install my fan mate and turn the speed down some to make it quieter.

BT

·
Registered
14 Posts
excellent -

I built mine with a solid state drive, a n class CPU and put my 20K Flac tunes in an external laptop sata drive. There is no sound and no heat. I run the music out to an external Benchmark DAC.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snedecor /forum/post/19569163

Where did you find the case? I've searched, but everywhere is either "special order" or out of stock...

The Egg (currently out of stock). Set it to notify you, they get shipments periodically. That's what I had to do.

BT

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by snedecor
I looked a little more carefully, and realized that it didn't provide an expansion card slot. I may want to add a PCIe tuner card there, so I passed.
This is a SageTV Client machine. No need for internal tuners. I use the an Avermedia A180 (OTA HD) and an HD Homerun (FIOS clear QAM) for my main Sage server which is in an Antec NSK2480.

BT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts