AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
There just aren't enough of us out there yet!! It will happen.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The software it has now is junk. Locks up all the time like a old PC running badly written 3rd party apps. They need to update the software period, with or without new features(problems).

Glenn

·
Registered
695 Posts
It would be nice if they posted anticipated release dates and a delta document (feature enhancement and bug fix) on their web site.

I'd also like to see the 16x9 tv button made active in the HDTV section. The 6000 doesn't seem to like the fact that my tv is a 16:9 display.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Boecker:
The 6000 doesn't seem to like the fact that my tv is a 16:9 display.
Could you explain what the problem is. The current 6000 software is specifically compatible with 16:9 displays. Full 4:3 support will be in the next update.

·
Registered
695 Posts
What I see is that the picture coming in through the Dish 6000 is shifted significantly to the right compared to the Avia center cross pattern. This is true both for HD and SD material (through both component and S-video inputs). While I can adjust the HD picture center location through the menus, I cannot adjust the SD center aside from changing it for everything. Thus, I am left with a compromise between broadcast, VHS, and DBS. My Sony Sat B-2 receiver (when I was on DirecTV) specifically allowed me to tell it what kind of display device I was using (4:3 or 16:9) I see no such control on the Dish 6000 receiver.

The image is shifted ONLY through for Dish-broadcast material.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
There is a feature in the 6000's setup menu that allows you to center the output of the 6000. Have you tried that menu? It is somewhere in the setup abou t 2 or 3 levels deep menu but I seem to remember it is kinda non-intuitive. I'll look tonight to see how to get there.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Lee and David,

Please re-read my post:

Quote:
While I can adjust the HD picture center location through the menus, I cannot adjust the SD center
Is there a way to center the SD output via S-Video on the 6000? I already know about the HD option under the HDTV setup menu in System Setup/Installation.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've checked the "big four" forums, don't see anything specific to SD output from the Dish 6000. I've heard others have this same problem, that's why I think it's a Dish 6000 hardware/firmware issue. With the image centered via Avia in the service menus, everything else is dead center except the SD Dish signal.

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Timwit:
I for one would appreciate it if the menus were widescreen to fill my 16X9 set.
Also, the music channels have the 4:3 menu screen "glowing" on a 16:9 set. I have to turn the bright/contrast almost all the way down to get rid of it... or turn off the TV display.

------------------

Living in a HD wasteland... for now

·
Registered
247 Posts
I spoke with DISH engineering regarding the problems with SD picture centering about 3 months ago. They were aware of the problem.

On my Toshiba 56, the SD picture is pushed right by about 3 inches in SD mode (S-Video). They said it "MAY" be addressed in the next software upgrade.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
On my Toshiba 56, the SD picture is pushed right by about 3 inches in SD mode (S-Video). They said it "MAY" be addressed in the next software upgrade.
I'm not sure how to say this but... I sure hope not. I was hoping that they are about to release new code with the fix for those of us with 4X3 sets. It sounds to me like it could be a while if they are still considering additional fixes. Now that I've said that, he didn't happen to give any clues as to when the next release is going to be released, did he?

John

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It seems to me that as long as the 6000 has been out, there should have been some major issues addressed by now. This leads me to believe that they are unable to fix these problems. Once I found out that OpenTV was not going to happen on the Dish 6000 (even tho it is stamped on the back of the units) I started to think that maybe there is more wrong then what they are letting on with these units. From what I have read, most of the units were shipped with not enough memory to suppoet OpenTV. Now I am starting to think maybe there is not enough memory for just doing basic updates. Seems to me they must be trying to work around some hardware problems and having a hard time writing the softeware to do it. I can see maybe a couple months or even 6 months but over a year!? Come on....

[This message has been edited by PCman (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
210 Posts
PCMan,

I don't think it's quite as bad as that (but maybe not much better). They have already updated the software once, and there are in fact beta versions of the new software with the new features in the field.

Dave

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm beginning to think they may never fix the problems or add new features. They will probably just come out with the 7000 and hang us out to dry. The new 501 has a lot of nice features the 6000 does not have, and with out a hardware(memory?) upgrade, may never have.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L:
I'm beginning to think they may never fix the problems or add new features. They will probably just come out with the 7000 and hang us out to dry. The new 501 has a lot of nice features the 6000 does not have, and with out a hardware(memory?) upgrade, may never have.

Glenn

Glenn,

You hit the nail on the head. Echostar always promises great upgrades through their software downloads, but usually only produces minor bug fixes. I guarantee(double your money back http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif )that all HDTV DishNetwork users will be buying the next gen HDTV STB from Dish as soon as it is available.

I remember when I first bought my 5000 unit and then the 5000-modulator, Dish promised that they would integrate the unit with several more TV's and STB's. They did not deliver. They added integration with one set only. I pre-ordered the 6000 as soon as it was offered. The 5000 sucked and the 6000( although much nicer and completely integrated)is very unsophisticated for a Sattelite receiver. I hope Dish comes out with a new one soon. I will pre-order that one also.

Such is the case for early adopters.

baimo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.