AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spoke with Dish customer service regarding an enhancement request and found out they issued a software upgrade last night. Anyone know anything about it? What does it fix/break vs. the last version?

<BTW, my request was to allow seamless switching between HD and SD when selecting the grey-bars viewing mode for widescreen TVs - this already happens for the black-bars mode but they grey-bars (and all other) modes don't switch>

·
Registered
338 Posts
Some of the things from the "need to be tweaked" are:

1) "no longer need to go to "Cable" to get a virtually mapped channel 70 & up" [i.e. WENH in New Hampshire is channel 57 mapped to 80]

2) ways of handling multiple channels mapped to the same virtual channel [WENH in NH, and the WGBH-DT channel 19 (during initial testing) were both mapped to channel 80.

3) more tweaking for the "gamma" on local channels [past upgrades have improved it, but they still seem just a little "washed out"]

4) 8VSB sometimes locking up (much better, but occasional dynamic multipath can still cause it to lock up)

5) delays in "Acquiring Satellite Signal" when switching from a couple hours of a local channel to a satellite

channel

6) 8VSB "overreacting" to dynamic signal conditions (i.e. sometimes more quickly adjusts for rising signal strength than a falling one, and as a result get more pixelization

effects than some other tuners.) [Note: The 8VSB is great at handling multipath as well as weak signals, just needs a little tweak to make it more stable for distant signals witn intervening varying atmospheric conditions.]

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I wouldn't really put much stock in a CSR telling you they sent a new SW rev. They usually seem to find out when people call in to ask a question about it. The current rev is 751, I'll check tonight to see if I get a new one.

You can also check here at Dish to see what the latest version is supposed to be. It is currently showing 751 and it is usually correct although they are a day late from time to time.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ismeltitudeltit:
BTW, my request was to allow seamless switching between HD and SD when selecting the grey-bars viewing mode for widescreen TVs - this already happens for the black-bars mode but they grey-bars (and all other) modes don't switch
You mean if the STB is in black-bar mode and I switch between a HD channel and SD channel the STB will automatically switch from HD to SD -- thus switch from using the component outputs to using the composite/Svideo (and vice versa)?

·
Registered
100 Posts
My request was for 8VSB to correctly decode the program guide info beamed out by my local OTA Digital stations. I hope if enough of us make this request, they will add it to the list of upgrades.

Byas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.