AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying Sony's new 40" Direct View (4:3). I am interested in knowing if owners of the comparable Sony 36" model are happy with it or wish that they had purchased an RPT or a 16:9 TV? There seem to be a lot of problems with RPTs breaking prematurely, is that the case? Does a Direct View offer advantages in viewing with lights on or from different angles?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Log one happy 36xbr400 owner. 80% DVD (3/4 of that 16:9 or greater, the balance 4:3), 20%DirecTV. No HDTV (yet).

I love the picture, love the automatic anamorphic squeeze. Would recommend it highly to anyone who has watches more than a small proportion 4:3. I haven't had any troubles with the set.

If you're buying for HDTV or progressive DVD, search these forums first. I understand it can't display full HD horizontal resolution because of the shadow mask. And the anamorphic squeeze doesn't work automatically on progressive sources.

The internal line doubler isn't great on the satellite signals, I'm considering an iScan. I haven't seen the need for progressive DVD yet, I think it might be overkill on a 36" screen. Anamorphic/interlaced DVDs look fantastic from 6-8' viewing distance.

It's huge and really heavy (235 lbs), I can't imagine what the 40" will be like.

I hope this helps.

-Curtis

·
Registered
5 Posts
The new 40" is definitely 4:3, you can check out the specs on Sony's site, they haven't added the MSRP yet, but I would say it will be around $4000, probably streeting for $3500.

Here's the link for sony's site:
KV-40XBR700

I also found some pictures from the CES that show the TV with a newly designed Sony stand (check out pics #24 & #25):
Sony CES Pictures

I plan to make a purchase as well, hope the info helps!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sony emailed me that the weight is 286 lb. It looks like it is 4:3. Height is 43 inches, width is 33 inches, and depth is 26".

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
I thought the new 34" with the integrated HDTV tuner was going to be $4000 as well. In that case, the 40" at $4k sounds overpriced.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the list price is going to be $3,500 on the KV40XBR700.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also have a 36XBR400 which I calibrated using Avia and Video Essential. My usage is roughly 40% DirecTV, 40% DVD, 20% VHS.

For DVD viewing (mostly anamorphic), I'm pretty happy with the performance. Note the automatic anamorphic doesn't work with progressive input though.

But for DirecTV (certain channels) and VHS I see a lot of artifacts and pixelation from I suppose the evil DRC. It does bother me from time to time. It's not totally bad because some people don't even notice it, but because I know they're there so I always look for it http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

You can bypass the DRC if you feed progressive material. But there's no way to turn off DRC otherwise.

In retrospect, I don't regret buying it but that's because I got what I think is a very sweet deal.

[This message has been edited by roots (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Registered
355 Posts
Saw a prototype 40" 40XBR700 at the Hi Fi show in NYC 3 weeks ago. It still has the DRC circuit(which is not to good), but now comes with something call a "cinema" circuit which is a true line doubler(or so Sony says). It is 4:3. It should have a similar picture to the 36" XBR, which is fantastic with anything HD or DVD.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
One thing you have to consider is that you are getting into a price range where you can now get a pretty decent 16:9 HD RPTV with a much larger screen. Considering that it now looks like HD IS starting to take off (CBS prime time is almost all HD, ABC next season doing a considerable amount of HD, HBO HD, possible new channel on DTV in HD and whatever local PBS you may or may not have as well as any HD cable that may be in your area), you really have to consider what your viewing habits will be. If it's mostly DVDs and HD broadcasts, I'd certainly think about a larger screen 16:9 HD RPTV.

If you feel the majority of your viewing will be 4:3 for QUITE SOME TIME (that's the key here), then go with the 4:3 set. I personally would just hate to get a screen format that may soon run contrary to the material I'm watching.

Most importantly, LOOK at the sets in your price range and see which picture impresses you the most. Keep in mind that it's tough to find properly set up displays at most retailers, so be careful where you do your comparisons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.