Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxwell
plz read my note at the bottom. i'm curious also.
I realized that it wasn't your review. It was posted on CNET . The fact that he claims that the A2000 has detatchable side speakers, and that the XBR1s will be recieving a 1080p input upgrade puts any other opinions he has in doubt.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Seriously, how pathetic of a loser does someone have to be to start making posts that they have a stupid television set when they don't. Why would somebody do that??? Attention? If you need attention from people in a tech forum or on a review website based on lies you've got serious issues...

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydust
That really sucks. I needed PiP because I planned on using my TV as a computer monitor and then having a small TV picture PiP on the screen (this is how I use my Dell LCD now). :(
Do you use a cable STB?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of price we can expect at stores like BB or CC on the 50" A2000? I am hoping they will be at least a few hudred lower than the retail price on Sony Style. What advantage is there from buying directly from Sony?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDogCatia
Does anyone know what kind of price we can expect at stores like BB or CC on the 50" A2000? I am hoping they will be at least a few hudred lower than the retail price on Sony Style. What advantage is there from buying directly from Sony?
They will probably be the same as the MSRP. The BIG advantage of buying locally at BB or CC is that you can return a problem HDTV without having to pay shipping. If you buy online though, you may not have to pay sales tax.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Okay my tv will be here in 7-10 days, I just ordered it. I will be happy to do a very comprehensive review. Now while we are waiting for it to arrive, how about as a group we come up with a list of things I can test and how you would like me to test them. I have a macbook pro, so I can play 1080 through the VGA, or with my DVI to HDMI cable for testing computers, I have comcast dual tuner HD-dvr, and will have the $399 sony speaker system from their website. I also have a very nice (standard def) brand new camcorder, with firewire, and final cut pro on my computer, and my professional nikon d70 digital camera. (Sorry about listing off hardware). I also own a small hosting company, so I will gladly post, videos, photos, and any data you guys want

maybe now we can start listing off the things you want me to check when it arrives, a ordered list with instructions on how i can do the tests you want done would be great. I want to give back to the community since this place has been a valuable source of information regarding the choices of av gear I make.

So start making those lists for me! I'll setup a website at www.glancehere.com and get it all ready with the most relevant questions and tests listed, so I can just pop up the results, and gallery as soon as it arrives.

I'll make sure everyone gets lots of video footage of the set in action!!!! Hope I'm helpful,

all the best!

edit, I put up a temporary page at www.glancehere.com already. I know it's ugly, but I will be posting all my review images and thoughts here as it arrives. I will also post people's questions there and respond to them. I put a link to this thread on the site already :)

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkhead
Okay my tv will be here in 7-10 days, I just ordered it. I will be happy to do a very comprehensive review. Now while we are waiting for it to arrive, how about as a group we come up with a list of things I can test and how you would like me to test them. I have a macbook pro, so I can play 1080 through the VGA, or with my DVI to HDMI cable for testing computers, I have comcast dual tuner HD-dvr, and will have the $399 sony speaker system from their website. I also have a very nice (standard def) brand new camcorder, with firewire, and final cut pro on my computer, and my professional nikon d70 digital camera. (Sorry about listing off hardware). I also own a small hosting company, so I will gladly post, videos, photos, and any data you guys want

maybe now we can start listing off the things you want me to check when it arrives, a ordered list with instructions on how i can do the tests you want done would be great. I want to give back to the community since this place has been a valuable source of information regarding the choices of av gear I make.

So start making those lists for me! I'll setup a website at www.glancehere.com and get it all ready with the most relevant questions and tests listed, so I can just pop up the results, and gallery as soon as it arrives.

I'll make sure everyone gets lots of video footage of the set in action!!!! Hope I'm helpful,

all the best!

Man, do i love you!

OK, can you try VGA and what you max out with? Then try HDMI/DVI and let us know if you can squeeze out 1920x1080. In fact, anything else you can add as far as HTPC would help.

Can you try the different custom modes and which one allows for the best tweaking.

If you use a Comcast Motorola HD STB does it use passthru?

If possible, does game mode do anything special or is it much ado bout nothing?

SD content, is it acceptable?

Upon startup, is there a green haze?

Are blacks black or do they have a purple tint?

Are whites white, or are they pinkish?

How long after turning on is the TV ready to go?

What settings are disabled in PC mode.

Does it have PIP? just kidding.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3
IMO the first thread of the eventual owner's thread should include photos or otherwise be closed by the administrator, as a number of people have already "claimed" ownership.
Some people may not have a digital camera or simply do not feel like posting pics. I don't see how that should be a reason for closing a thread.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:

all the best!

First order of business, determining just what the deal is with DRC and deinterlacing of 1080i. Do you know if the Macbook is able to output native 1080i over DVI? If so:

Grab the VLC media player.

Grab this 1080i test pattern .

Load the test pattern in VLC and set "Deinterlacing" to "Disabled".

Playback fullscreen with 1080i output to the DVI port.

Verify that the set is receiving a 1080i input

We're interesting in what the topmost set of lines does (1 pixel height alternating black + white)

If the lines remain distinct, then the set is doing a proper weave deinterlace and preserving the full 1080 lines of resolution.

If the block goes to a single color (black, white, or grey), the set is performing a blend deinterlace.

If the entire block starts flashing between white and black, it is performing a bob only, and discarding half the resolution.

If that works, grab this version of the same pattern that adds a spinning "blade" to simulate motion. See whether the topmost block of lines performs the same as it did with the first pattern. Also of note is the behavior of the blade. May need to step through frame by frame to see the subtleties of this.

If it shows a double image of the blade that both display fine interlacing lines, the set is weaving.

If it shows a double image that are both solid (no interlacing lines), the set is blending.

If it shows a single solid image, the set is bobbing.

The ideal behavior that will indicate motion-adaptive deinterlacing would be for the top block of lines to remain distinct, while the blade shows as a single, solid image.

Finally, grab this pattern that simulates telecined material without IVTC flags, and
this one for telecined material with IVTC flags. Look for the same types of behavior in both the topmost vertical bar and the blade. Again, proper 3:2 pulldown should result in the top block of lines remaining distinct, and the blade showing a single solid image as it moves.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:

all the best!

edit, I put up a temporary page at www.glancehere.com already. I know it's ugly, but I will be posting all my review images and thoughts here as it arrives. I will also post people's questions there and respond to them. I put a link to this thread on the site already :)

You da man inkhead!

Just follow both lipcrkr and fade23's testing guidance (both are knowledgeable contributors to this effort) and we should be on our way to finally getting some closer to the big questions.

I would also be interested in your take on the sets degree of SSE with a nice high def source -Some stimulating PBS fair on the erosion of the California coastline or real-time glacial movement should suffice :) Happy testing and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
FYI, that site isn't working with the "www." in the url. http://glancehere.com/ does work though

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjensen
They will probably be the same as the MSRP. The BIG advantage of buying locally at BB or CC is that you can return a problem HDTV without having to pay shipping. If you buy online though, you may not have to pay sales tax.
BB and CC will just about always be cheaper then the sony website. Sony does not want to lowball any of its suppliers. If they did that what advantage would there be for the chain stores to sell there products. If the release dates are correct for the A2000 from sony they will all be on sale Labor day weekend cheaper then the sony website.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fade23
First order of business, determining just what the deal is with DRC and deinterlacing of 1080i. Do you know if the Macbook is able to output native 1080i over DVI? If so:

Grab the VLC media player.

Grab this 1080i test pattern .

Load the test pattern in VLC and set "Deinterlacing" to "Disabled".

Playback fullscreen with 1080i output to the DVI port.

Verify that the set is receiving a 1080i input

We're interesting in what the topmost set of lines does (1 pixel height alternating black + white)

If the lines remain distinct, then the set is doing a proper weave deinterlace and preserving the full 1080 lines of resolution.

If the block goes to a single color (black, white, or grey), the set is performing a blend deinterlace.

If the entire block starts flashing between white and black, it is performing a bob only, and discarding half the resolution.

If that works, grab this version of the same pattern that adds a spinning "blade" to simulate motion. See whether the topmost block of lines performs the same as it did with the first pattern. Also of note is the behavior of the blade. May need to step through frame by frame to see the subtleties of this.

If it shows a double image of the blade that both display fine interlacing lines, the set is weaving.

If it shows a double image that are both solid (no interlacing lines), the set is blending.

If it shows a single solid image, the set is bobbing.

The ideal behavior that will indicate motion-adaptive deinterlacing would be for the top block of lines to remain distinct, while the blade shows as a single, solid image.

Finally, grab this pattern that simulates telecined material without IVTC flags, and
this one for telecined material with IVTC flags. Look for the same types of behavior in both the topmost vertical bar and the blade. Again, proper 3:2 pulldown should result in the top block of lines remaining distinct, and the blade showing a single solid image as it moves.
Thanx for the links. My contact at the HE show assured me that the A2000 will do a proper weave deinterlace, with this test done properly we will soon find out. My personal feeling is these tests will pass with flying colors. But....as Jesse Jackson would say "keep hope alive"..... :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently bought my XBR1 $2950 (plus tax/delivery for a total of like $3160). I'm keeping my eye on the reviews for the A2000 incase it proves to be better and if I can get it at a similar price.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fade23
You mean the one that you DIDN'T scare off?
Yeah, the guy i called Yoda. I actually mentioned to him about the bobbing and weaving tests and before i finished he said not to worry about the A2000's and XBR2's. So, i decided not to worry..... :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can answer the first question based on the previous models:

Q: What is the VGA Max Resolution?

A: With my macbook pro on the 2005 model, it automatically detects the connected display and sets it to full 1920x1080 1080p native resolution. You can set it lower, but not higher. I've heard Windows users having problems getting displays to detect and go into the proper resolution. My Macbook Pro, even when booted into Windows detected the display and set it to 1920x1080.

On the previous model, and my friends Samsung 67" TV, I've used my macbook pro to play HD trailers off of Apple's website in full 1080 glory. It's funny because, you can see huge differences in the quality of video in 1080p movie trailers, often because of the camera's used to shoot the movies.

Off topic

I hear from people that HD-DVD right now looks better than Blu-ray, but I'm guessing that's based on the fact that all the movie titles currently out for Blu-ray were not filmed with the best cameras or had effects applied to them.

I've seen the straight codec used by HD-DVD & Blu-ray side-by-side on exactly the same content and Blu-ray always looks much sharper. Anything that is shot and handled properly in always looked better with the blu-ray h.264 codec vs. the codecs used on HD-DVD.

I will definitely check out the other questions on your list. Can you please clarify question #4 about the Comcast HD passthru? On my friends 67" Samsung (lives next door) & on the sony 2005 model, I've always just connected directly through the HDMI cable. So let me know exactly what you would like me to try :)

Best Regards

·
Registered
68 Posts
Since the A2000 doesn't have DVI in, I assume DVI to VGA is much better than using DVI to HDMI cable right? According to everything I've read VGA provides more bandwidth than HDMI. Can anyone confirm or provide their experiences?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Quote:
Since the A2000 doesn't have DVI in, I assume DVI to VGA is much better than using DVI to HDMI cable right? According to everything I've read VGA provides more bandwidth than HDMI. Can anyone confirm or provide their experiences?

dvi is hdmi. VGA doesn't support 1080p on the a2000

81 - 100 of 283 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.