1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl3447 /forum/post/0

Haha you had me excited there for a minute

Yeah, the Google link made it look like it was CES 2007, so when I first read it, I skipped right over the release date. Then I went back and looked again.

I'm really trying to figure out if I should buy an XBR970 right now, or wait for the two wide-screen models that a Sony VP supposedly said would be in the line-up for 2007.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how many people saw this, but here's a quote from the NY Times, August 7, 2006:

The end of picture-tube TV's is accelerating faster than a lot of us expected, said Randy Waynick, a senior vice president for Sony Electronics. The company, which offered 10 tube models two years ago, will pare that number to two next year, both of them wide screens. Picture-tube TV sales reductions were far greater than forecast, Mr. Waynick said.

·
Registered
698 Posts
f that unless they make the SED TV's that I was promsed at CES last year I dont want to see CRT's gone it is still the best quality picture hands down

·
Registered
21 Posts
Amper, don't even think of buying that 970. The poor(relative) picture quality of the 970 and its massive weight just don't make it worth it. If you really want the vaunted Sony picture that people drool over, find a used 960 somehow somewhere, otherwise take your 1k and put it towards a decent 32" - 36" LCD.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedrow /forum/post/0

Amper, don't even think of buying that 970. The poor(relative) picture quality of the 970 and its massive weight just don't make it worth it. If you really want the vaunted Sony picture that people drool over, find a used 960 somehow somewhere, otherwise take your 1k and put it towards a decent 32" - 36" LCD.

LOL. There is no major difference between 960 and 970 picture wise. 65% more slits doesn't mean superior quality. Plus 960 weigh as much as 970 does. Please stop making stupid comments like that. Sony CRT will beat the best LCD type in 32"-37" range and all of the people here knows that. 960 only has PIP, CableCard Slot, iLink, and Memory Stick as a added feature. If you buy 960 new, it will be $1,500. If you buy 970 as new, it will be only $900. So I will recommend, for the untrained eye, to buy the 970 and not break balls finding a used 960.

·
Registered
707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedrow /forum/post/0

While I do understand what you're saying, since the 960 has that SFP tube, it does boast a finer pitch. However, there's no denying the fact that the 970 is still a great-looking set.

"Poor" is about the last word that comes to mind when you're looking at the picture quality of a well-calibrated 34XBR970.

There's no 32" - 36" LCD that even comes close in the $1000 range, and if you intend to watch any standard-definition content whatsoever, there's no fixed-pixel display in any price range that can compete with the 970.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yeah, I didn't know about the resolution differences in alleged 1080i CRT HDTVs until after I bought one. As far as I knew they were all 1920 X 1080 interlaced. I've got the XBR970 and I think it looks really good but I can't stop thinking about how much better the XBR960 must look. Had I known before that the Sony models with the SFPT were so much better than all other CRTs and that they would eventually be impossible to find I would have done things faster and gotten into the HD market before they were gone. Still I don't get why these sets are called 1080i. When you do the math the amount of pixels really comes up to a 720i display which is weird since a HD format like that doesn't even exist. I am eagerly waiting for the opportunity to purchase a true 1920 X 1080 display with CRT quality color and contrast. So far there is nothing on the market that meets that criteria but when such a thing becomes available I'm making the plunge even if it puts me badly in debt. I want one that bad.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman1972 /forum/post/0

Yeah, I didn't know about the resolution differences in alleged 1080i CRT HDTVs until after I bought one. As far as I knew they were all 1920 X 1080 interlaced. I've got the XBR970 and I think it looks really good but I can't stop thinking about how much better the XBR960 must look. Had I known before that the Sony models with the SFPT were so much better than all other CRTs and that they would eventually be impossible to find I would have done things faster and gotten into the HD market before they were gone. Still I don't get why these sets are called 1080i. When you do the math the amount of pixels really comes up to a 720i display which is weird since a HD format like that doesn't even exist. I am eagerly waiting for the opportunity to purchase a true 1920 X 1080 display with CRT quality color and contrast. So far there is nothing on the market that meets that criteria but when such a thing becomes available I'm making the plunge even if it puts me badly in debt. I want one that bad.

CRT TV that has beyond 1080p has been out already. It's called monitors.

The Sony 24" CRT monitor is the best monitor there is. More than 1080p

pixels it can display.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If someone offered me a 960 and a 970 for the same price I would probably take the 970 as the slightly brighter picture and virtually no phosphor trailing that the 970 offers outweighs the near negligible visible difference in horizontal resolution. I think the 970 is a great set that offers a good compromise, great looking HD AND great looking SD material, a bright picture with the same phosphor decay and trailing characteristics of a regular CRT.

·
Registered
436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist3 /forum/post/0

...I think the 970 is a great set that offers a good compromise, great looking HD AND great looking SD material, a bright picture with the same phosphor decay and trailing characteristics of a regular CRT.

I've seen the overly persistent phosphors with some previous Sony 34XBR models in times past, and seen the trails mentioned here by some AVS members. Did Sony officially announce that they went back to the more conventional phosphors with the 34XBR970?

I was curious how you knew this.

nx211

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.