Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please vote in my poll - Sony STR-DA5ES vs. Marantz SR8200

I have narrowed my A/V receiver purchase to one of these two receivers, since both of these units are upgradable via a RS-232 port. The new 5ES is available for $800 shipped to my door, the 8200 approximately $1050 shipped. Both are sold by authorized online dealers.

A few differences:

120wpc (Marantz 8200) vs 110 wpc (Sony 5ES)

5 year warranty (New Sony ES) vs. 1 year warranty (Marantz refurb)

THX Surround EX & Circle Surround (8200) vs. lots of sound fields (5ES)

On-screen menu via component (8200) vs. no on-screen display (5ES)

RC3200 remote control (8200) vs. multi-brand remote (5ES)

High power current feedback circuitry (8200) vs. ? (5ES)

75% Home Theater, 25% Music. I have Paradigm speakers all around - Titans front & back, a CC170 center channel and PS1000 sub.

As I own a Sony STR-DA30ES receiver, I'm familiar with the build quality of the Sony ES product. Unfortunately there is no Marantz dealer within a reasonable drive from my home to audition the unit, but I am very familiar with Marantz's reputation for quality products - plus I don't believe I've read a single negative comment about the 8200 during my research.

So what do you think? That 5 year ES warranty is very tempting, but the THX Select and Circle Sound (for music) is a plus on the other side. I haven't been able to find any independent lab tests for either of these pieces, so I have no information regarding the 'real world', six-channels driven to clipping power output. And is that Marantz touch-screen remote an asset or a liability?

So many questions - so few answers. All responses appreciated!

KC

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iowaHDTV
On-screen menu via component (8200) vs. no on-screen display (5ES)
My 5ES has on-screen display. It is not overlay - it blanks out the picture "underneath". Or did you mean for component only?

I don't have my component hooked; I have the DVD going straight to the TV (so it can be watched without the amp on - good for letting the wife sleep when I watch movies late.

However, other advantages it does have:

2nd remote for zone 2 or 3

3-zone, where the 3rd zone is powered by the amp (diverts 2 of the 6 channels from the front to the zone 3, when you enable it).

Will send video to Zone-2. I have the RCA jacks from my TiVo, DVD & 2 VCR's going through the amp, so I can watch them in the bedroom (when I get the wire strung through the attic, and the Xantech remote control cabled).

Glen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.